Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  August 2006, Week 1

AUXLANG August 2006, Week 1

Re: Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) in Occidental?

d gasper <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Aug 2006 20:48:36 -0700

Salute, interlinguistes!

In fact the "garbage pseudo-Latin" is not so pseudo as
you may think. I got the following information from
the Internet:

Lorem Ipsum has been the printing and typesetting
industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and
scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has
survived not only five centuries, but also the leap
into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially
unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the
release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum
passages, and more recently with desktop publishing
software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of
Lorem Ipsum.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply
random text. It has roots in a piece of classical
Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years
old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at
Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of
the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a
Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of
the word in classical literature, discovered the
undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections
1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum"
(The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in
45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of
ethics, very popular during the Renaissance.

Here is the original text:

"Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit
voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam
rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore
veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt
explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas
sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia
consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem
sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem
ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci
velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt
ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem.
Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem
ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex
ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure
reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam
nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum
fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?

"At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos
ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti
atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias
excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident,
similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia
animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga. Et harum quidem
rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero
tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque
nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere
possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor
repellendus. Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut
officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe
eveniet ut et voluptates repudiandae sint et molestiae
non recusandae. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a
sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus
maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus
asperiores repellat."

Here is the translation by H. Rackham in 1914:

"But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea
of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and
I will give you a complete account of the system, and
expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of
the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No
one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself,
because it is pleasure, but because those who do not
know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter
consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is
there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain
pain of itself, because it is pain, but because
occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and
pain can procure him some great pleasure. To take a
trivial example, which of us ever undertakes laborious
physical exercise, except to obtain some advantage
from it? But who has any right to find fault with a
man who chooses to enjoy a pleasure that has no
annoying consequences, or one who avoids a pain that
produces no resultant pleasure?

"On the other hand, we denounce with righteous
indignation and dislike men who are so beguiled and
demoralized by the charms of pleasure of the moment,
so blinded by desire, that they cannot foresee the
pain and trouble that are bound to ensue; and equal
blame belongs to those who fail in their duty through
weakness of will, which is the same as saying through
shrinking from toil and pain. These cases are
perfectly simple and easy to distinguish. In a free
hour, when our power of choice is untrammelled and
when nothing prevents our being able to do what we
like best, every pleasure is to be welcomed and every
pain avoided. But in certain circumstances and owing
to the claims of duty or the obligations of business
it will frequently occur that pleasures have to be
repudiated and annoyances accepted. The wise man
therefore always holds in these matters to this
principle of selection: he rejects pleasures to secure
other greater pleasures, or else he endures pains to
avoid worse pains."

That the text in Interlingue (Occidental) - a kind of
Latin for democracy (as someone once tried to call
Esperanto) - has become added on is indeed
interesting. Perhaps it points to the universal
standard language of the 21st century?

Don (not from Harlow, but nearby)