CONLANG  September 2006, Week 3

CONLANG September 2006, Week 3

Re: Conflicts in loanword adaptation

JR <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Sep 2006 01:49:11 +0300

Thanks Teoh and John for the advice. It is jarring to my ears, but I guess I
will keep the initial vowel and move the stress to the beginning. I have
another problem now though - the word in Eloshtan wouldn't actually be
'galili' as I wrote before, because there is vowel harmony, and either the
front vowels or the back vowel will have to change. I went googling for
examples of this in natlangs and found only a list of four words borrowed
into Tuvan that had undergone vowel changes. But the choice of which vowels
to change there is either random or else more complex than one can determine
from so little data. Front to back and back to front are both attested, and
it doesn't follow the stressed value in the source language or in Tuvan. Any
thoughts on this??

--
Josh Roth

http://fuscian.freespaces.com/

"Farewell, farewell to my beloved language,
Once English, now a vile orangutanguage."
-Ogden Nash