CONLANG October 2006, Week 4

Re: Weekly Vocab #1.1.9 (repost #1)

Lars Finsen <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:37:01 +0200

Den 27. okt. 2006 kl. 06.01 skrev Henrik Theiling:

>> 1. bless

Urianian: olnid (sanctify), simfid +dat (read for), bleste (in the
Christian sense, Norse loan)
Gaajan: kinini (spirit-speak)

>> She blessed me softly (i.e. in a soft voice).

U: Simfi me dosi. (spoke-3s 1s-dat quietness-inst.)
G: Oraen kinini jate. (soft-adv bless she-did-to-me)

>> 2. curse

U: simfid +abl (read against), sudid, suktid (bewitch), lade (swear)
G: laisen kinini (wrongly spirit-speak), kininibo (spirit-speak-bad),
dawini (hurt-speak)

>> We cursed them quickly because they wounded us.

U: It sudent pirni nit tevedi isan. (3p-acc cursed-1p quick-inst 1p-
acc wound-act.part.dat 3p-gen - we cursed them for their wounding of
us - actually 'tev' is a substrate-word from Gaajan 'dau', see below)
G: Usuisen kininibo janjigai dau iganjela. (speedily curse we-did-to-
them-for-it wound they-did-to-us-subj)

>> 3. charm / amulet / talisman / lucky charm

U: curn (luck-bringer), astul (luck-tool), axateln (piece of magic
ash-wood)
G: ukaku (luck-bringer), jigajegim (coming with opportunity)

>> I made a beautifully carved amulet from the bone that I found.

U: Rampem curna geli gatat ma jarnan. (carved-1s amulet-acc.sg
beautiful-inst bone-abl.sg 1s-gen find-act.part.nom)
G: Aden ylik ukaku iressa isin jat sag jatsu. (beautiful-adv carve-
adj amulet bone-inst make I-did-to-it find I-did-to-it-rel) But
Gaajans would prefer using perfective verbs, I think: Aden ylik ukaku
iressa isisin at isag atsu.

>> 4. sorcerer / wizard / magician / shaman

U: Sul, sudilk
G: Uguno

>> That sorcerer usually blesses our charms for us.

U: Sudilkas olnin numi curnet esan. (sorcerer-dem.masc.nom bless-hab.
3s 3p-dat amulet-acc.pl 3p-gen)
G: Ugunodake ukakuwanani ankinini anjegai. (sorcerer-that-erg amulet-
pl-our hab-bless he-does-to-them-for-us)

>> 5. magic (n or adj)

U: tippit (sacred knowledge), tip (sacred, magic), sulam (magical)
G: kininia (spirit-speaking), kiniju (full of spirit)

>> This charm was made with magic.

U: Curnas urkuz tipi. (charm-dem made-pass.3s magic-inst.sg)
G: Ukakuekeme kininiasa isinitu ja. (charm-this-benef magic-inst make-
pass it-did-to-it)

>> or This magically blessed charm is powerful.

U: Curnas olnuz tipi e ugur. (charm dem bless-pass.3s magic-inst is
powerful)
G: Ukakuek auniju ju kinisa kininitu jusu. (charm-this powerful it-is
spirit-inst bless-pass it-is-rel) or Kinisa kininia urakuek auniju ju.

>> 6. rite / ritual / ceremony

U: eru, ibil (ritual), erk (ritual act)
G: inikin (talk-spirit)

>> She curses them every day.

U: It sudin tunit elni. (3p-acc curse-3s-hab day-inst.pl all-pl)
G: Asuanen dawini anji. (rep-day-adv curse she-does-to-them)

>> 7. chant (n or v)

U: milid (chant), simfid (read), mild (chant, n)
G: lya (song, chant), lya, surae (sing, tell)

>> She is a sorceress, and she usually chants magical words.

U: Suli e, je milin fenet tipi. (sorceress is-3s, and chant-3s.hab
word-acc.pl magical.pl)
G: Uguno ju kiniju ilbu ansurae anjis. (sorcerss she-is magical word-
pl hab-chant she-does-to-them-and)

>> 8. bestow

U: gygid (bestow, give portion), gemid (give, sacrifice for someone),
atid (give out, pour out), mante (give plenty, show off), zade
(squeeze out of something, someone or oneself), ninte (share, reckon,
portion), birv (lay out, bestow, sell)
G: araug (bestow, sacrifice), emanalare (bring someone), eme (give,
act of friendship), ikun (give, leave)

>> This charm bestows happiness.

U: Curnas frang mina. (charm-dem.nom bring-3s happiness-acc.sg) - I
ended up using none of the give-words.
G: Ukakueke jewe emanalare a. (charm-this-erg happiness bring it-does-
to-it)

>> 9. amazing

U: invirutz (incredible) - the z is unvoiced, but written z for
historical reasons.
G: aratonis (incredible)

>> Zaphod says that it is amazingly amazing!

U: Zaphod sai invirutzi invirutz fu! (Zaphod say-3s incredible-inst
incredible is-3s.subj)
G: Zaphod ini a aratonis aratonisen jula! (Zaphod say he-does-to-it
incredible incredible-adv it-is-subj)

>> 10. prayer

U: keruz
G: lya (song), sama (question, request)

> Bonus Vocab from WordNet:
> This is randomly selected automatically, so in case it offends you
> or you disagree, please either ignore or be inspired to make up
> different words and/or phrases:
>
> - black economy, n.
> a hidden sector of the economy where private cash transactions go
> unreported; "no one knows how large the black economy really is"

U: girmit (black trade)
G: not applicable

> - squeeze for, v.
> squeeze someone for money, information, etc.

U: zade (as above)
G: karadi (make pay)

That was fun. Thanks again.

LEF