CONLANG November 2006, Week 3

Re: Completely OT: PAYPAL does it suck?

"H. S. Teoh" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:46:59 -0800

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:52:51AM -0500, Sally Caves wrote:
> Hi guys, I don't know what larger group to address than this one. Is
> anyone familiar with PayPal? Is it as sucky as I think it is?

It's actually quite competent.

> I keep getting what I think is SPAM from "paypal," telling me that
> someone else has added his or her name to my account.

That is NOT from Paypal; it's from an online scammer impersonating
Paypal with the hope of swindling somebody into revealing personal
information. Whatever you do, do NOT click on the link in the email, and
do not enter any personal information in the page that's linked to!

[...]
> I'm afraid to update their file on me (they want my credit card
> number) because I can't tell if this is a fraudulent page or not. And
> there's no way to contact them.
[...]

You can go to www.paypal.com and look up their contact info. Make sure
you type this in your browser yourself, though---any link you find in
the email is almost certainly spoofed and cannot be trusted. DO NOT
ENTER YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER IN THE PAGE LINKED TO BY THE EMAIL. It is
almost definitely fraudulent!

On that note, if you ever get any suspicious email from any financial
institution (or otherwise) containing a link to "update your
information" or some such ruse, don't believe it. It is most likely a
fraud. Most legitimate financial institutions will never ask for
personal information or passwords via email. If in doubt, contact the
institution directly to verify the legitimacy of the email.

"I speak better English than this villain Bush" -- Mohammed Saeed
al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information