AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  November 2006, Week 4

AUXLANG November 2006, Week 4

Re: "mal-" is funny to people (Re: Attachment to nouns)

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Nov 2006 06:58:33 -0800

Je 02.44 atm 2006.11.22, Dana NUTTER skribis
> li [Todd Moody] mi tulis la
>
> > I've occasionally wondered why Esperanto has no one-syllable verbs,
>with consonant roots. For
> > example, instead of "esti" there could be "bi", with "bas" in the
>present, "bis" in the past,
> > "bos" in the future, and so on.
>
>Or maybe just
>
> i to be
> as is/am/are
> is was/were
> os will/shall be
> us could be

Trouble is, as Zamenhof specifically pointed out in "Lingvaj
Respondoj", these are _not_ the meanings of the verbal endings when
used by themselves.

>Then there's always the elimination of the copula and making the
>predicate a verb.
>
> La domo flavas.
> The house is yellow.

Such forms are actually quite commonly used today, though "la domo
flavas" does not mean the same thing as "la domo estas flava" (but
they translate the same way into English simply because English
doesn't have the resources to reproduce the feeling of "la domo
flavas"). Best-known example is probably the standard Esperanto
translation of the title of the third-most-popular song in Mao's
China, "The East Is Red": "Rug^as la Oriento".

(Dr. David K. Jordan identifies such forms with the Chinese "stative
verb", e.g. "wo hao", "mi bonas", but I don't believe that that's
quite right either.)

-- Don HARLOW