CONLANG  November 2006, Week 4

CONLANG November 2006, Week 4

Re: Printing Help

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:26:24 -0500

David Peterson wrote:
(lotta snips)
> I'm printing out a book, and am having quite a bit of trouble in
> getting it right.... I want the book to be printed on half pages, so I've
> set it to
> landscape and have divided each page into two columns....if you do
> that, the first thing that happens is the pages don't fold
> correctly....The result is chaos.

I can well imagine. This technique has never occurred to me; I'm so prolix
that anything I write fills up 8.5x11 pages quite nicely :-))

> I *could* conceivably do this by getting rid of the two columns
> and printing the whole thing out with one page per 8.5 x 11 sheet,
> but that would be an absurdly-sized book.

My non-tech solution would be to (a) yes, get rid of the 2-col. setup and
(b) try to find or make some smaller paper. (Hopefully it's not a 500 page
document.) Then you can easily print 2-sided (don't forget to adjust the
left/right margins ("gutter") settings if it's going to be bound in some
way). It occurs to me, you might have to change the page-size in your
original text (?)...if that can be done.

And Rosta metioned (1) Word 2003's ability to print as a book; I don't find
such a thing in my quirky Word 2000. (3) He wondered if Open Office had the
ability-- as far as I can tell, no; I have the latest version I think. But
if one manages to get into their online FAQ or Help forum, one might find a
way; it will probably be incredibly complex :-((( (3) My old WP8 seems to
have a "print as booklet" setting, but I've no idea how/whether it works.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave..." when we try to do something
non-standard.