CONLANG  November 2006, Week 4

CONLANG November 2006, Week 4

Re: Weekly Vocab #1.2.3 (repost #1)

Lars Finsen <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:40:16 +0100

Den 24. nov. 2006 kl. 05.01 skrev Henrik Theiling:

>> 1. president

Urianian: president
Gaajan: not applicable. Highest office in a realm is the Aty, except
that the Aty of Tnary is called Amaty, ranking higher than the rest.
At least that is her opinion.

>> 2. office

U: ninsil
G: kunjagat (workroom), kunjalin (reception-room)

>>      The president whose office is oval has moved to the country.
>>      (I swear this juxtaposition was random)

U: Urianian has a genitive interrogative pronoun juja that could be
used here, but it is more idiomatic to use a participle: Presidentas
jumin ninsil oval ruriay tingtet. (president own-stat.part office
oval move-perf peasant-acc.pl)
G: Aty hegitsjati jaga isa kunjalinni gelis jusu. (Aty perifery-all
move she-has-done  office-her round-ish it-is-rel)

>> 3. trap

U: tigur
G: waiduk

>>      The hunter whose trap was empty is angry.

U: Gedusas rim jumin tigur van. (hunter-dem rage[-3s.pres] own-
stat.part trap empty) - 3s.present is unmarked.
G: Usaijaj awais iu waidukni uda ijusu. (hunter angry he-is trap-his
empty it-was-rel)

>> 4. operate

U: opererid (surgical), urkid (run, work, make work), ilde (run,
drive, chase)
G: ylap (cut open), saren (operate, repair)

>>      He operated on her.

U: Si opereri. (3s-acc operate-3s.past)
G: Ylap ja. (operate he-did-to-her)

>>      He knows how to operate a well/pump.

U: Kin urkana fruria. (knows operate-act.part.acc well-gen.sg)
G: Ganje sure ajai okan saren ala. (way know he-does-it-for-it well
operate he-does-it-subj)

>> 5. idea

U: mun (thought, purpose, idea), vinvit (approach, idea)
G: kuru (idea, thought)

>>      Whose idea was that?

U: Juja mun i dat? (whose idea was that - very literal now)
G: Todan kunu kunuda iju? (whose idea idea-that it-was)

>> 6. blame

U: ligde (blame, slander), efsakzid (blame, demand apology)
G: girw eme (give guilt, blame), ses eme (give responsibility), ses
saral (assign or
dispense responsibility)

>>      The girl whose dress is torn blames you.

U: Merdis di lig firmin gyrdila rabin. (girl 2s.acc blames wear-
stat.part dress-acc.sg torn)
G: Ilike giro saral atai mugabni sabika jusu. (girl-erg blame give
she-does-to-it-for-you gown-her torn it-is-rel)

>> 7. descriptive

U: kirfigan
G: uraeika

>>      The guy whose writing is very descriptive will probably win
>> awards.

U: Nutis virutzi kukfet juja rufni bil kirfigan sin. (win-3s.fut
probable-inst award-acc.pl who-gen.sg writing-nom.pl very descriptive
are)
G: Emuke gaikuwe tonisen sauti adajo suraetuniwe uraeikaegi junjisu.
(guy/buddy-erg reward-pl probable-adv win he-will-do-to-it-cond tale-
his-pl descriptive-much they-are-rel)

>> 8. upright

U: dilan
G: lajus (erected)

>>      It stood upright against the wall.

U: Teri dilni virdat. (stand-3s.past upright-inst wall-abl.sg)
G: Jemti lajusen isju iju, (wall-all erected-adv stand it-did)

>> 9. everything

U: eld (singular)
G: seged (plural)

>>      Everything is as messed up!

U: Eld e sami azmin. (everything is same-inst messed-up)
G: Seged roys giren junji. (everything messed-up alike-adv they-are)

>> 10. own

U: jug (own, possess), sun (adj.)
G: aim (be with), -be (adj.)

>>      The old woman who owns that cat is really mean.

U: Onak kirg sedi e nifig juja gedis e. (woman old really is mean/
miserly whose cat-dem is)
G: Gumba aemenegi ju katida aim asu. (old-woman miserly-much she-is
cat-that own she-does-to-it-rel)

>>      I can barely see my own hand in front of my face.

U: Meam nigde bai ajid ma mera sun franu ma etsia. (can-1s enough
badly see-inf my hand-acc.sg own front-loc.sg my face-gen.sg)
G: Idumabe eka hylneman koti atla. (hand-my-own before face-my-gen
see-all[=hardly see] I-do-to-it-subj.

>> topic:  how to disambiguate (if at all) 3rd person referents

This is challenging both in Urianian and Gaajan since neither have
gender pronouns. They resolve it I guess by naming subjects more
often than what is usual in other languages.

>> 1. life

U: cui (life as phenomenon) end (a living thing)
G: ku (possessable life), bisi (spiritual life), aun (life as force)

>>     She owed her her life.

U: Su kili sa cuja. (3s.dat owe-3s.past 3s.gen life-acc.sg)
G: Kuni giro jajai. (life-her owe she-did-to-it-for-her)

>> 2. journey

U: bird
G: jagaun

>>    Their journey to visit their friends was long.

U: Bird isan i til litsune felet isan. (journey their was long visit-
act.part.dat friend-acc.pl) But I think it may be concieved to drop
the second isan here.
G: Jagaunui hegit jai emuwewi anai anjinjela. (journey-their long it-
was-for-it friend-pl-their visit they-do-to-them-subj)

>> 3. brick

U: mird (wallstone), zuzun (fired brick)
G: fala (building stone)

>>    He gave his brick to him.

U: Su nimi sa zuzuna. (3s.dat give-3s.past 3s.gen brick-acc.sg)
G: Fala eme jajai. (brick give he-did-to-it-for-him)

>> 4. merry

U: il
G: ewe

>>    She was merry all day at the festival.

U: Il i elun tuni festivalu. (merry was-3s.past whole day-inst.sg
festival-loc.sg)
G: Iraitem asusa ewe iju. (festival-loc day-whole merry she-was)

>> 5. fail

U: lug
G: akedu (not succeed), bowa (make mistake, sin)

>>    He failed to save him.

U: Lugi sa niskana. (fail-3s.past 3s.gen save-act.part.acc)
G: Akedu ja imisu ala. (fail he-did-to-it save he-does-to-him-subj)

>> 6. approve

U: nir
G: judaini

>>    He approved his request.

U: Niri sa brigna. (approve-3s.past 3s.gen request-acc.sg)
G: Samani judaini ja. (request-his approve he-did-to-it)

>> 7. jaw

U: ilni
G: apojes

>>    Their jaws were bruised from fighting their enemies.

U: Ilnet isan tuni san reskunat nidret (isan). (jaw-nom.pl their
bruised-pl were fight-act.part.abl enemy-acc.pl)
G: Apojesuwi daus ijunjira gajasuwi auti anjinjela. (jaw-pl-their
bruised they-were-caus enemy-pl-their fight they-do-to-them-subj)

>> 8. hardship

U: culd
G: baja (suffering, illness)

>>    He thought his hardship too great to bear.

U: Deki sa culd i nigde ma firminai. (think-3s.past 3s.gen hardship
was enough big bear-stat.part.dat)
G: Urea ja bajaunike belimegi ainjela bai anjila. (think he-did
suffering-pl-his-erg heavy-too they-are-for-it-subj suffer he-does-to-
them-subj)

>> 9. whatever

U: ixus (anything) + dat
G: to...aben (what...sometime/ever)

>>    Whatever she did, she was not happy.

U: Ixurant zaju ni dezi. (anything-dat.pl do-3s.past.subj not be-
happy-3s.past)
G: Ara ewe ijura to aben isin ijula. (not happy she-was-caus what
ever do she-does-to-it-subj)

>> 10. goods

U: bilv
G: waje (thing, property, household goods)

>>    Their goods were locked on their wagon.

U: Bilvi isan erkinan san gursu isan. (merchandise-nom.pl their
locked-3s.pl were wagon-loc.sg their)
G: Wajewewi wakuwi againjaim siunji. (property-pl-their wagon-their
lock perf-they-were)

> Bonus Vocab from WordNet:
> This is randomly selected automatically, so in case it offends you
> or you disagree, please either ignore or be inspired to make up
> different words and/or phrases:
>
>   - Irish person, n.
>     a native or inhabitant of Ireland

U: jurianeg (interestingly, as 'Urianian person' is 'urianeg')
G: fiujata (borrowed when the p was still there)

>   - sum up, v.
>     give a summary (of); "he summed up his results"; "I will now
> summarize"

U: sumrid (add up), tagc (draw together), kits (sketch)
"Sumri sa medet." (add.up-3s-past 3s.gen achievement-acc.pl) "Nu
kitsisam." (now sketch-1s.fut)
G: dai (add up, tally), gerod (calculate, sum up)
"Lanatuweni dai janji." (achievement-pl-his tally he-did-to-them)
"Wan gerod ajut." (now sum-up I-will-do)

LEF