CONLANG  December 2006, Week 1

CONLANG December 2006, Week 1

Re: Conlang Design Patterns?

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:49:20 -0200

It is a very nice idea. I am also a Software Engineer, and I have
always thought that conlanging in general is a form of Engineering too
(I like the term "Language Engineering"), as we always face trade-offs
to achieve our objectives. I encourage the appearance of catalogues of
design patterns for Language Engineering, and even, using Software
Engineering parlance, complete pattern languages.
By the way, a thought has occurred today morning. The "hard"
Engineering disciplines (Electrical, Computer, Civil, Aeronautic,
Mechanical, Chemical, etc.) share a common set of subjects in the
University (Calculus, Physics, etc.).
If the "soft" Engineering disciplines (Software, Language, Genetical,
etc.) evolved to become University courses, what do you think would be
their common set of subjects?
I was thinking about programming (for creating our own software
tools), database design (which is necessary for storing information
about conlangs), IA, text processing, translation systems and compiler
theory (including Chomsky, or Backus-Naur, notations), programming
languages and cell-oriented programming (the one found in Visicalc,
OpenOffice and Excel).
What do you think is missing in this list?