AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  January 2007, Week 1

AUXLANG January 2007, Week 1

Re: Interlingue and Interlingua

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Jan 2007 08:42:29 -0300

On 1/5/07, Paul Bartlett wrote:
> For good or for ill, Interlingua has gone beyond the project stage
> and has become an actual language, however few people there
> are using it.  That is why I think Stan Mulaik's notion of trying to
> change some of the fundamental grammatical words such as
> demonstratives in the name of some theoretical purism is
> actually harmful at this point.

Hello, Don and Paul!

I understand your position. It is because you see Interlingua with
Esperantist eyes, which is a healthy and well-intentioned position. In
the case of Esperanto, changing a root would not be good because it
would change (even if in a small way) the structure of the language,
which has grown by itself along the years. But in the case of
Interlingua, its "multiple personality disorder" allows two different
interpretations:

* Interlingua as an evolving language by itself
This is the traditional view of language, and the view you apparently
share. In this perspective, Interlingua is a language for tying
together its own community of active speakers, so it can change only
by a natural (an maybe unconscious?) evolution occurred as an effect
of the continuous use by the collective community of speakers.

* Interlingua as a language subordinated to other languages
In this perspective, Interlingua is an interlanguage for tying
together the whole community of Angloromance language speakers. So, in
order to be better passively recognized by that heterogeneous audience
as a whole, the extraction algorithm and the prototyping rule have to
be respected. Modifications would be allowed only if they improve the
algorithm in a way that the result is more international for the
Angloromance world (the fine-tuning proposed by Mulaik to account for
particles is a good example of this). The "theoretical purism" in this
case is what makes Interlingua achieve its purpose of being the most
suitable interlanguage for the Angloromance world.

Both views are correct, and you could even argue that the first view
is more suitable because it all languages of the world comply to it.
However, there is a conflict of objectives, because each
interpretation pushes the language to a different direction. So, your
choice depends on answering one question: Do you intend to use
Interlingua to communicate with its community of active speakers, or
to communicate with its target community (the Angloromance world
composed by more than 1 billion people)?
Although I like a lot to interact with members of the Interlingua
community, I do not study Interlingua for this reason. My interest in
Interlingua is to learn the international vocabulary (shared by the
Angloromance world), to learn more about the currently used
greco-latin roots, to enjoy a regularity that does not occur in my
native language, Portuguese (regra -> regula, regular -> regular), and
to learn more about my own native language (through the indirect
etymologic information provided by the Interlingua vocabulary).
Because of this I like more the second interpretation *for the
particular case of Interlingua*.
Of course, there is no problem in people of the Interlingua community
trying to comply to the 1950s version of the vocabulary. Their hobby
is healthy, and they have my support. I like the existence of the
communities of Interlingua, Ido and Esperanto, because they make it
possible the formation of new friendships and they foster a greater
appreciation for other cultures. How could I oppose to such a beauty?
:)
Anyway, we are quibbling over small details, because the verification
of the accuracy of the application of the algorithm would cause only a
very small number of revisions to the lexicon defined in the 1950s,
not a radical breakup. This is not a "reform" (I do not think this
word is suitable in my case), because the second interpretation is
being fully respected, so I would not be changing the language
(according to the 2nd interpretation). I would be considering
Interlingua as a language project if I changed, for instance, "io" to
"marula", without obeying the principles that define the language.
This is not what I intend to do.
And yes, I am a language aficionado. I hope you do not consider it
bad, as learning languages is a harmless hobby like any other, such as
playing chess or RPG.

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues