AUXLANG  January 2007, Week 1

AUXLANG January 2007, Week 1

Re: Simple auxlang test

Sun, 7 Jan 2007 22:56:57 -0500

li [Donald J. HARLOW] mi tulis la

> Je 08.18 atm 2007.01.07, Dana NUTTER skribis
> >li [Donald J. HARLOW] mi tulis la
> > > Je 06.50 atm 2007.01.07, Dana NUTTER skribis

> > > Actually, most of the people I've run into _do_
> > > know that Esperanto exists.
> >
> >That's people that YOU have run into.  This needs to be
> looked at from
> >wordwide perspective.  Most people on the planet are uneducated and
> >illiterate, so it's not likely they've been exposed to the knowledge
> >that E-o exists.
>
> Actually, most people on the planet are neither
> uneducted nor illiterate, these days;

I suggest you check out some of the numbers on Ethnologue. They have
statistics on a nation-by-nation basis.  In the modern industrialized
countries, literacy rates are high (usually in the 90-95%+ range), but
take a look at some of the poorer countries, especially in Africa or
Southern Asia and the numbers are extremely low, often as low as 20%.
Even India is listed as 36-52%,  That's at least 500M illiterates just
in India!  Another interesting one is China (73%-76.5%) which I expected
would have a much higher rate.

> most have
> been to school for at least a few years (though
> most don't get the full twelve years that we
> Americans put in), most can read.

It was 13 years of school last I checked though I only put in 11.5 (it
was nice to be able to test out early!)

> There may be a
> billion or so people out of the going-on seven
> billion on the planet who don't fall into this
> category, but that's still a minority.

Check the numbers on Ethnologue, the numbers are pretty sad.

> Still, schooling isn't where you hear of
> Esperanto; it's on TV and in the newspapers.

TV assumes someone has one.  Again, a lot of these poorer parts of the
would leave few people access to TV.  Newspapers aren't much use to
those that can't read.

> For
> instance, every couple of years the Nepalese
> Esperanto Association holds this tourist thing
> where they invite people to come and trek with
> them; a dozen or so usually show up, to wander
> around in the foothills of the Himalayas or
> whatever. Of course, this is a drop in the bucket
> beside the regular tourist groups that come to
> Nepal by the dozens, but it's interesting enough
> because of the nature of the language that it
> will make the Katmandu news, and people there hear of
> Esperanto in this way.
>
> Esperanto shows up in unlikely places. I once
> drove a Mayan girl from down around Lake Atitlan
> to a hike up by Mt. Tamalpais; she was here
> studying Esperanto in the summer courses at San
> Francisco State University. Philippe Chavignon
> wrote about the village he visited, outside
> Kinshasa in the Congo, where everybody greeted
> him on the street with "Saluton!" and "Bonan
> matenon!" -- which may have been the extent of
> their Esperanto, but they certainly had some idea
> what the language was. I always enjoyed Edmond
> Bordeaux-Szekely's anecdote about the chieftain
> in the Pamir range with whom he tried to
> communicate in four or five languages and finally
> succeeded with Esperanto, because the man had
> once picked up an old Esperanto textbook in a
> bazaar and had studied the language. And, of
> course, there was my wife's tale about her visit
> to Hawai'i in 1991 when Andrzej Grzebowski and
> Earl Galvin were walking through the Polynesian
> Pavilion, talking in Esperanto, and one of the
> dancers on the Marquesas Islands platform
> stopped, listened, and then leaped down in front
> of them and cried out: "C^u vi parolas en Esperanto???"

I'm sure there are anecdotes like this all over the world, but I'd bet
if you ran around the world taking random poll of people asking "Do you
speak E-o?" there would probably be a lot of people responding
"Esperanto?" with a blank stare on their faces.

> So I suspect that the number of people who are
> familiar with Esperanto is considerably greater than you believe.

You run around in Esperanto circles, and you are a major player in the
movement so you tend to see much more of it than anyone else would.  I
can tell you that I've only encountered it a few times in my life
outside of groups like this or other places where I've specifically
sought it out.  I've NEVER heard it spoken on the streets anywhere.
I've never seen a sign in a shop window claiming "E-o spoken here!"

> > > (*) They just don't
> > > know anything about it except that it's an
> > > "artificial language" (with, often, a few
> > > additional fantasies added out of their own
> > > imagination or out of some comment once made by
> > > an equally ignorant columnist in a newspaper).
> >
> >I have only seen one small newspaper article about Esperanto
> (given to
> >me by someone), but then again I don't generally mess with
> newspapers.
> >I have seen a couple of references to it on Jeopardy.
>
> Like the Final Jeopardy question at the end of
> November? Apparently the winner won not by
> answering the question correctly (everybody
> answered it correctly!!! [*]), but by his betting strategy ...

Jeopardy contestants are generally very well educated and well-read,
thus how they found there way onto the show in the first place, which
also has many questions about subjects like Greek mythology and other
things that the masses know little or nothing about.   The fact that it
is a Jeopardy question means they expect that someone may not know it,
though I've noticed the categories they have often
more-than-coincidentally are related to the contestants backgrounds.