CONLANG  January 2007, Week 5

CONLANG January 2007, Week 5

Re: Pronunciation keys

Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:32:55 +0100

Quoting Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>:

> <rant>
> I took a lot of flak in the RP-normative Swedish school
> system because of the American accent I learnt from my
> grandmother.

I think they've got more tolerant since. At least when I was being taught in the
early to mid '90s they didn't try and cure anyone from americanisms of either
pronunciation or spelling. They only taught RP, but if you picked up other
accents from TV or whatever (a friend went to Calif. and ended up with something
like [a-] for LOT, THOUGHT, FATHER) they didn't bother you about it.

                                                    Andreas