Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  March 2007, Week 3

AUXLANG March 2007, Week 3

Re: Computer model hints at how opinions evolve

Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:23:39 -0400

li [Todd Moody] mi tulis la

> The tools for making the supersigned letters are there.  Foxfire's
abc-tajpu
> works very well, as does Ek!  One might suppose that if the demand
increases, so
> will the options for making the supersigned letters.

Yes the tools exist, but ideally there should be no need for tools at
all.

> >   And we can throw in the
> > very obvious grammatical issues, such as the
> > accusative and the adjectival accord, which are pretty
> > well covered by most critics of the language, no
> > matter how many times Esperanto partisans come out to
> > defend them.

> There is something peculiar about the logic here.  The mere fact that
critics
> tend to pick on these two items (for example) says nothing at all
about whether
> the criticisms are warranted.  The way you've stated this, the
implication is
> that the critics are objective, but the defenders are "partisans,"
i.e., not
> objective.  If we state things in less loaded language, we simply have
the fact
> that the accusative and adjectival accord have critics and defenders.
There is
> nothing in the critics' status as critics that makes them more
objective.  If I
> said, "Critics keep trotting out the same tired criticisms, no matter
how many
> times Esperantists refute them," you'd no doubt find the language just
as loaded.

These are under constant criticism because they are a constant problem
for students.  I often wonder why anyone bothers to defend them.

> Everybody understands that the accusative and adjectival accord have a
purpose
> (Well, almost everybody.  I noticed the claim at the Occidental site
that
> Esperanto's adjectival accord "serves no useful purpose" but that is
simply
> false).  The critics, however, believe that whatever benefits there
might be to
> these properties are outweighed by other benefits that are promoted by
their
> absence.  This is a difference in *priorities*, and that's why it is
so
> persistent.  There is no simple way to resolve differences in
priorities.

The problems *do* far outweigh the benefits in these cases so there is
clearly a valid complaint. Leaving features in place which gain little
and give up much is obviously a bad choice of priorities then.  First
and foremost, IAL's like this claim to be easy to learn and easy to use,
yet these are features that are obstacles for many.

> Where accusative markers of some sort are not used, word order must be
more
> restricted.

Not a problem.  Every language has some type of word order anyway.

> If accusative markers are to be used only some of the time, then the
> rule for their usage is somewhat more complicated.

Not really, just use them when the standard order is broken, or whenever
needed for extra clarity.

>  Ido's rule is an example.  It
> has never been proven that one way of doing things is objectively
"better", and
> it's doubtful that there is any such fact of the matter to be proven.

It's not necessarily better, but it is certainly doesn't present the
learning obstacle that the forced "-n" causes.  I, for one, am one of
those that does have trouble getting used to the accusative marker
because we don't mark it in English except for some pronouns.

> Adjectival accord is often criticized as being redundant, and so it
is.  That is,
> the position of adjectives almost always leaves no doubt as to what
noun is being
> modified.  That, however, is not the only purpose that adjectival
accord serves.
> It also provides *aural* redundancy, giving the hearer more chances to
hear the
> case and number of the noun phrase and thus to parse the sentence.
This is a
> "useful purpose."  Is it a sufficient justification of adjectival
accord?  That,
> again, is a question of priorities.

It is useful, but again it's only a small benefit.  Many languages, like
the one I'm using here, get along just fine without it.  Not much is
lost if the plural "-j" is only used on the noun, and the accusative
"-n"?  Well, see the previous paragraph.  The bad side of it is having
to sit and repeat adjective-nouns combinations over and over again until
the idea becomes ingrained into ones mind which means many more hours of
learning drills.

> >   To the extent that Esperanto represents
> > the conIAL movement, these are liabilities of the
> > movement, and they are big, obvious targets.  If the
> > Esperanto movement were concerned with the "fina
> > venko" it would fix these things instead of offering
> > tired excuses.  But, by and large, I don't think that the large
> > majority of the Esperanto movement is really part of
> > the IAL movement.  It is a thing in itself.  And this
> > was decided in 1907, when Ido was definitively
> > rejected even though it fixed all of the crucial
> > points.

> What most Esperantists believe (I believe) is that, given any
Esperanto reform
> proposal you like, the probability that it will result in a loss of
momentum of
> Esperanto, resulting from quarrels and factions, is greater than the
probability
> that it will result in a gain of momentum.

Had E-istoj accepted reforms early on, there may not have been Ido or
any of the Euroclones that followed and it may have even more momentum
than it has today with additional (and possibly more enthusiastic)
supporters.

> Look at the history.  The Idists believed, and still believe, that
Esperanto's
> flaws were holding Esperanto back, and that fixing them would allow it
> succeed.  A large number of Esperantists agreed with them, but most
did not.  Ido
> has had a century to persuade both the Esperanto world and the rest of
the world
> that it is a superior IAL.

This depends on what "success" means.  If "superior" means "more
suitable for WAL use" then I will agree with the Idists because it is
easier, if only by a small margin.

> That it has failed to do so does not demonstrate that
> Esperanto is not part of the IAL movement.

No, but the better ideas don't always win out.

> >   From then on, Esperantism -- although in some
> > ways about the "language problem" -- was primarily
> > about Esperanto language and culture.  It has become a
> > subculture focused around an international language
> > (not *the* international language).  There's nothing
> > wrong with that in and of itself, but it's not a good
> > perspective for an IAL, which has quite a different
> > function.

> "Esperantism" covers a lot of ground.  Esperanto has a reasonably
large and
> diverse speech community, and as you'd expect, the members of the
speech
> community have different motivations for learning and using Esperanto.
Some are
> *very* involved in the IAL question, and are actively working to
promote
> Esperanto as "the" IAL.  Others have other interests.  This diversity
is the
> inevitable consequence of there being a speech community at all.
Whether it's
> Esperanto or Interlingua or LFN or Sona, once there is a speech
community the
> language will have a life of its own, a subculture.  People will *use*
it to do
> whatever they like to do, not just to promote it as IAL.

I think the point here is that the E-o subculture has become like the
culture behind a natural language that somehow identifies the language
as part of the culture.  Because of that they seem to cling to the
status quo and resist change.  For a natural language, that may be a
true cultural issue, but E-o is part of a movement intended to
eventually be *the* language for everyone, not just the current cult
members.

> > The reason I think Esperanto isn't worth supporting is
> > simple.  I would expect any reasonable nominating body
> > (UN, EU, what have you) for making an "official" IAL
> > to demand that Esperanto reform away at least the
> > obvious things (daft hats, accusative, adjective
> > accord).  And at that point, if the Esperantists stick
> > to their guns as they have for a hundred years, all
> > the advantages of Esperanto over Interlingua (or Ido,
> > or Novial, or what have you) disappear immediately.

> What would you think if, say, the EU decided to adopt Esperanto as an
official
>  language *as is*?  Clearly, you don't expect that, but what if you're
mistaken?   > Would that decision make Esperanto worth supporting?

I wonder how long it would be before the problems that have been the
source of criticism manfested themselves among so many speakers that the
common usage would end up reforming the language anyway.  I read a study
on "native" E-ists and interestingly they demonstrated some tendencies
to drop the "-n".

> Personally, even though I'm happy with Esperanto as it is, if things
were to go
> the way you expect them to, I'd support the reformed language.  That
is, if the
> EU or UN were to decide to endorse and *use* some reformed version of
Esperanto,
> be it Ido or some Eo-Ido hybrid or whatever, I'd consider that such an
important
> step forward that I'd learn and use that language, and do what I could
to promote
> it.

I could consider minor reforms enough to be a supporter of some type.  I
do support the idea of a WAL, but I also have certain languages which
are preferred over others.  In that order, I'd put English ahead of E-o
because despite irregularities and spelling issues, it already has a big
established base and strong momentum.  I'd much rather see Ido or
Interlingua catch on, but above all my preferences are with
non-Euroclones.