CONLANG  April 2007, Week 4

CONLANG April 2007, Week 4

Re: Weekly Vocab #1.1.7 (repost #1)

Lars Finsen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:43:01 +0200

I'd better do one of these again before I get rusty.

>>    Brought to you by f (for finals) and s (for studying) and
>> comparative
>> constructions.

Yes, I can see we are in a comparative mood here.

>>    1. book

Urianian: rift
Gaajan: (suraetu = tale)

>>     That book over there (yonder) is thicker than the one I'm
>> using now.

U: Rift ina zipt riftat ma dymin simfanja. (book yonder thicker book-
abl my current read-act-part-gen) Urianian uses ablative as the
relative marker in comparisons. 'Dymin' is the stative participle of
'dy'=run. Note also that the copula is missing. I don't have a
general word for 'use' yet. Maybe I shouldn't have one.
G: Suraetujoke suraetusu dubag a wan aiga atsu. (tale-yonder-erg tale-
rel thick-comp it-is-for-it now work I-do-to-it-rel) The two relative
markers here relate to different things, which perhaps I don't need
to explain. It continually pleases me how simply and yet
unambiguously Gaajan is able to do this kind of job.

>>    2. desk

U: pilkirf (writing table)
G: agabaula (work table)

>>      I sat at my desk longer than the day has hours. (i.e. for
>> more than 24
>> hours)

U: Sitem franu ma pilkirfia tiluti tudamat tunja. (sat-1s front-
loc.sg my desk-gen.sg long-comp-inst hour-abl.pl day-gen.sg)
G: Agabaulamam lusagen esj ijut taudewe asuke anjisu. (desk-my-loc
long-comp-adv sit I-did hour-pl day-erg it-has-them-rel)

>>    3. study

U: minzid, mezid (learn)
G: iria (learn)

>>      I've been studying with better students than I (am).

U: Minzemi teltu minzigan mit fetuti. (learned-1s-perf side-loc.sg
student-gen.pl 1s-abl good-comp-pl) No durative in Urianian.
Prepositionals (unlike adjectives) do not reflect the number of the
nouns they refer to.
G: Akuag wiriaumi isaniria ju anjitsu. (better student-pl-comit perf-
habit-study I-do I-am-to-them-rel)

>>    4. finals / final examinations (also as sg.)

U: examen drut, or examen finalis, or just examen
G: gas sarena (last test)

>>      I will do better on the final than him.

U: Kastinsam fetuti imat examni. (judge-pass.part-fut-1s better-inst
3s-abl exam-inst.sg)
G: Gas sarenaen akuag kedu adait. (last test-adv better achieve fut-I-
do-for-him)

>>    5. midterm(s) / midterm examination(s)

U: tentamen
G: sasaimen sarena (mid-year-adv test)

>>      I did worse on my midterm for this class than I've ever done
>> before.

U: Kastinem bati ma tentamni klasetsuj ixi ma kastunamat elni. (judge-
pass.part-past-1s worse-inst my midterm.exam-inst.sg class-dem.dat.sg
ever my judge-act.part.abl.pl all) - tough one
G: Ilsiekai sasaimen sarenaen laisagen kedu jait aben sukedu jusu.
(group-this-dat mid-year-adv test-adv bad-comp-adv achieve I-did-for-
it ever perf-achieve I-do-rel)

>>    6. grade / score / marks

U: kastan
G: keduja (achievement)

>>      I hope to get higher scores on the final exams than I did on the
>> midterm exams.

U: Esam examni kastanet irtut fekte ma kastanat tentamnia.
(hope-1s.pres final.exam-inst.sg score-acc.sg high-comp get-inf
1s.gen score-abl.sg midterm.exam-gen.sg)
G: Jawe at engenag keduja gas sarenaen sal adataila saisamen sarenaen
atsu. (hope I-do-to-it high-comp score final exam-adv get fut-I-do-to-
it-for-it-subj midterm exam-adv I-do-to-it-rel)

>>    7. stress(ed): n. or adj.

U: stress (loanword), dund (press, pressed)
G: agategi (too much work), kaagategi (having too much work),
keduldutuja (the condition of being pressed), keduldutuk (pressed)

>>      I am more stressed than I thought I would be.

U: Dund em bilt virkesat fusam. (pressed be-1s.pres more believe-
stat.part.abl be-1s.subj.fut) I am thinking of abandoning the
Urianian sigmatic future, though.
G: Kaagategiag ait urea jatsu ajutla. (stressed-comp I-am-to-it think
I-did-to-it-rel fut-I-am-subj) - the sentence ends in two auxiliaries...

>>    8. busy

U: zirfut
G: kakuu (preoccupied, thoughtful), agatik (at work)

>>      I have been busier than ever lately.

U: Zirfitut imi ixat druti. (busy-comp be-1s.perf ever-abl.sg last-inst)
G: Aranten edagen isaga ait aben isiutsu. (new-adv more-adv perf-work
I-do-for-it ever perf-I-am-rel)

>>    9. write, compose (a paper, article, etc)

U: kirfid (write), komponerde (compose)
G: esjim (compose), initudu (compose a story), lyadu (compose a song)

>>     I have to write 678 papers by Tuesday.

U: Eng e mi kirfid sixkendibiganiakta artiklet birtuna. (necessary
be-3s 1s.dat write-inf 678 paper-acc.pl Thursday-acc.sg)
G: Arild ikunu ilgestadu alanim inituwe ekaten asusu fein esjimik
ajut. (6 100-pl 70 8-com story-pl earlier day-rel lightning-gen
compose-imp fut-I-do)

>>    10. research

U: kade (scrutinise), foskid (research, loanword)
G: asure (investigate, repetitive aspect of ure, see)

>>     I have never researched a topic longer than I have researched
>> this one.
>> (this sentence includes an opportunity for a resumptive verb or
>> proverb, if
>> you have one!)

Gaajan could have one perhaps, or a resumptive marker for the already
overloaded auxiliaries. But it seems this sentence is pretty
straightforward in Gaajan.

U: Nixi foskemi zursa tiluti ma foskidat zursandan. (never
research-1s.perf matter-acc.sg long-comp.inst 1s.gen research(n.)-
abl.sg matter-dem.acc.sg)
G: Araben katumetua uroenag isasure atait katumetuak isasure atsu.
(never matter long-adv-comp perf-research I-do-to-it-for-it matter-
this perf-research I-do-to-it-rel)

> Bonus Vocab from WordNet:
> This is randomly selected automatically, so in case it offends you
> or you disagree, please either ignore or be inspired to make up
> different words and/or phrases:
>
>   - beet sugar, n.
>     sugar made from sugar beets

U: rebur betia
G: unknown

>   - profit, v.
>     make a profit; gain money or materially;

U: lev (plunder, prey, profit), pide (be lucky, gain, blossom),
porfit (loanword)
G: gaidedu (profit from trade), kaku (get lucky), akudu (improve
one's luck)

> "The company has not profited from
>     the merger"

U: Mitam en pajiay nismidat. (company not profit-3s.perf merger-abl.sg)
G: Ara sarejeke saraneate isgaidedu a. (not company-erg merger-abl
perf-profit it-does-to-it)

Not easy some of these ones. My confidence level is not exactly 100%
in all the above sentences. Yet I post them. Am I mad? Or lazy? Or
whatever?

LEF