AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  May 2007, Week 4

AUXLANG May 2007, Week 4

Re: Derivations and algorithms

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 May 2007 15:11:42 +0100

Sorry for the delay in my reply. In the previous days I read all the
messages but didn't have time to compose a reply message with the
required deep analysis of the issue. It has been a tough time here in
my research project. The real world unfortunately disturbs my hobby of
auxlanging. ;) Now to the long-awaited reply...

On 5/23/07, Steve Rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:27:50 +0100, Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Steve Rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >>
> >> [...] I suppose you might say that
> >> in your terms, I'm trying to expose the fallacy of Spirit 1 (Interlingua as
> >> registration of international vocabulary) so that its users can be freed to
> >> follow Spirit 2 (Interlingua as functioning auxlang) in a natural way, even
> when
> >> it means turning from the path called for by Spirit 1.
> >
> >I do not think it is necessary to "destroy" spirit 1 in order to free
> >users to follow spirit 2. I believe that both spirits can coexist, and
> >I see no harm if spirit 2 (the non-standard language, but a language
> >in itself) deviates along time from spirit 1 (the standard linguistic
> >manifestation, but not a language in itself, as real languages are not
> >subordinated to other languages). In fact, if beginners study
> >pedagogical materials that follow spirit 2 ideologically but comply to
> >the spirit 1 in vocabulary selection, I think this divergence will
> >never harm mutual comprehensibility between both variations of the
> >same language. And both spirits will be harmoniously kept alive in the
> >same body. :)
>
> This is like a man riding two horses at once, a foot on each horse. As long as
> they remain side by side it's possible, but if they diverge, he's in trouble.

I don't think they will diverge so much. The small divergence will not
matter much in practice. Don't worry about it. :)

> >I could give you another example of something that can be viewed
> >differently if we consider different perspectives: the plural/singular
> >distinction in Esperanto. We could consider "-o" as the noun ending,
> >"-0" (null stem) as the singular ending, and "-j" as the plural
> >ending. Alternatively, we could consider "-o" as the singular noun
> >ending, and "-oj" as the plural noun ending. Which of the perspectives
> >is the "correct"? Both, no matter what people say. Both of them
> >satisfactory describe with the reality, so both are useful models.
>
> No serious linguist who knew Esperanto would make such a claim. The two are
> not equivalent models, because saying that "-oj" is the plural noun ending
> ignores the nature of Esperanto grammar. In fact, "-j" is the plural, and it's
> used with more than just the noun ending. It pluralizes adjectives ("-aj"), some
> sui generis words ("unuj"), and tabelvortoj ("kiaj," "kiuj," ktp). Saying that "-oj"
> is the plural noun ending is true in a very limited sense, but it isn't particularly
> useful or true to the system of Eo grammar.

One thing we cannot ignore about models is that various models can
describe the same reality. Only because a model is more complex than
another model does not mean the former is invalid or inaccurate. I
could as well say "-aj" means "plural adjective mark" and "-a0" means
"singular adjective mark". Is this description more complex? Yes. Does
it inaccurately describe reality? No.

All of them are useful models, in my opinion, because they shed light
on reality through different perspectives.

> >* Then you attacked the idea that Interlingua is natural. The
> >fragility of this argument is that there are many valid (and mutually
> >incompatible) definitions of "natural" out there, and you failed to
> >demonstrate that, for *all* the valid definitions of "natural",
> >Interlingua is not natural.
>
> If there were a Nobel Prize for silliness, I'd put this remark in the running. It
> amounts to saying that a statement is only true if it is true in every possible
> sense, which I doubt is ever the case. The question is not, "What
> *can* 'naturalness' mean?" but "What *did* 'naturalness' mean to Gode?"
> That's a far more limited field, and he did define it by example. Stay tuned.

I kindly decline your invitation for me to join a flame war. No,
thanks. I just want to discuss about auxlangs in a friendly way. There
is no need for personal offenses, given that auxlanging is just a
hobby for me, and my criticisms and defenses of particular aspects of
every approach to auxlanging are completely inoffensive in practice. I
am not a promoter of any specific WAL, including Interlingua. But I
know I have to tolerate attempts for throwing me into flame wars, as
AUXLANG is not AUXLANG without its ridiculous flame wars. CONLANG
artlangers do have a point when they criticize the behavior of some
auxlangers.

Let me rephrase the paragraph I sent in the last message about
"naturality". Arguing that a given conlang is not "natural" is
meaningless if the definition of "natural" is not given by the
criticizer, as there are many different definitions of "natural". Now,
if you argue that a conlang is not "natural" no matter the definition
chosen, then you have to prove it is not "natural" for all the valid
definitions of "natural" that exist. And you have not provided (at
least in a clear way) the definition of "natural" you are considering.
I may or may not agree with you, depending on the definition of
"natural" you choose. For some of them, Interlingua is "natural", for
others, it is not.

> [...] And when you
> assume that I've no proof of my contention, of course I do. You do too. Read
> the Manifesto: he clearly states
>
> que secundo le philosophia fundamental de interlingua il es impossibile
> construer un lingua pro le previemente concipite objectivo de un simplification
> del communication international, sed il es ben possibile laborar pro le utilisation
> de un medio de communication international super le base del observation que
> un tal existe - ben que solo latentemente.

I agree with Gode that it is possible to extract the latent
interlanguage that permeates the Angloromance languages. But I do not
agree with him when he says it is "impossible" to create with
preconceived principles of good design (usability, learnability, etc.)
a conlang suitable for international communication. I think
"impossible" is a too heavy word here. Esperanto and Ido are applied
in small-scale international communication, so it is possible. The
issue here is not one of possibility, but one of effectiveness.

> This is why he makes the statement (which I consider silly, false, and factually
> suicidal to his argument):
>
> Pro appreciar le signification de iste aspecto - i. e. del aspecto sociologic del
> question sub discussion - nos debe solmente considerar que esperanto per
> exemplo non esseva, le die de su prime publication, un lingua international del
> toto. Illo esseva non mesmo un lingua sed solmente un projecto de lingua, un
> projecto de lingua international, proque illo non habeva lo que es le plus
> importante characteristica de omne lingua, international o altere: illo non
> habeva un communitate lingual. In un certe senso le historia de esperanto non
> es le historia de un lingua sed le historia del effortio (a vices heroic e quasi
> semper fanatic) de equipar un lingua con un communitate lingual.
>
> [Cue Mr. Harlow]
>
> The same thing was true of Interlingua when it was first published.

Given your last sentence ("The same thing was true of Interlingua when
it was first published."), it is clear for me that you completely
misunderstood the philosophy of Interlingua. No problem, we all
misunderstand things every time.

Interlingua is based on the observation that there is a good deal of
common linguistical material that pervades various languages in the
world. In other words, this common linguistical material is
international to a certain extent. This common linguistical material
can be seen as a latent interlanguage embedded in our national
languages. We use it every day, although in a form that mixes
translingual features with individual language peculiarities.

Due to historical reasons, most of the words from this widespread
interlanguage can be traced to Latin (vulgar and classic) and Ancient
Greek origins. Of course, there are some exceptions: chocolate, igloo,
kimono, etc.

The existence of common linguistical material for Romance languages is
not surprising, as they descend from the same source. English also
shares a lot of linguistical (primarily lexical) material with the
Romance languages due to historical reasons.

The influences of this latent interlanguage go to languages as far as
Japanese (when speakers use words such as "botan" [button], "arukooru"
[alcohol] and "kapitan" [captain]). Therefore, this interlanguage is
in a certain sense transcends the Angloromance sphere and influences
almost the whole world. Of course, the extent of the influence of this
interlanguage is strong inside the Angloromance world, moderate in
regions that speak European languages, and less strong in regions
outside the European sphere (usually, in those cases, the influence is
limited to isolated pieces of lexical material, but the influence is
still there).

The philosophy of Interlingua assumes that it is possible to extract
this interlanguage from source natlangs, thus making it visible and
useful as a language in itself. In order to do this, it is necessary
to develop/engineer a good enough methodology that allows us, within
certain limits inherent to the methodology, to approach the state of
this shared interlanguage. To the greatest extent possible, this
methodology must comply to the shared linguistical facts we observe in
the most internationally influential European natlangs. This means
that we should avoid adding elements to this language that are not
translingual inside our pool of source natlangs.

Another argument of that philosophy is that this interlanguage is a
suitable auxlang proposal because it is already *used* by many peoples
in the world (albeit, for each people, it is mixed with
particularities of their natlang). It is not necessary to invent a
language with certain preconceived quality attributes (regularity,
ease of use, etc.), as we already have, due to historical reasons, an
interlanguage ready for international use. (I do not necessarily agree
with the claim that the extracted language is the best solution for
international communication, but that philosophy assumes this.) If we
assume that idea as true, then the work we need to perform is just
engineer a good enough methodology to extract this common linguistical
material from the source natlangs, and voilá!, we have our desired
international auxiliary language ready for use.

As that extracted language is shared by the natlangs that originated
it, then it follows that this interlanguage, even before its
extraction, already had a community of speakers: the community of
speakers of all languages that originated it. Of course, this is a
community of *indirect* speakers. So, the extracted language
automatically inherits all the culture and history common to the
communities of the natlangs that originated it, because the extracted
language was already there, embedded in those natlangs, but in a
latent state, that is, it just wasn't previously extracted. In other
words, an argument for legitimizing this language is that it already
existed even before its extraction, and already was born with an
associated community, associated culture and associated history.

The community of *direct* speakers, on the other hand, will develop
when people begin to learn the interlanguage in its extracted form and
use it for communication. Realize the distinction between *indirect*
speakers and *direct speakers*. In the Manifesto de Interlingua, Gode
was talking about the former, not the latter. He argued that this
interlanguage has hundreds of millions of (indirect) speakers, even
before its extraction. Esperanto, on the other hand, had no huge
speaker community when it first appeared, because it was invented, not
extracted. Of course, the initial community of direct speakers for
both Esperanto and Interlingua was small at the beginning: the initial
community of direct speakers of Interlingua was only a bit greater
than the initial community of Esperanto speakers (Gode + his
assistants versus Zamenhof alone). It is also beyond dispute that the
community of Esperanto speakers numerically outperforms the community
of Interlingua speakers.

Gode claimed that Interlingua is the extracted language that so far
best approaches the latent interlanguage embedded in the source
natlangs.

I do not necessarily agree with the philosophy behind the creation of
Interlingua, but I have to admit I find it very interesting. The
philosophy behind Esperanto is also very interesting to me. I can say
the same about the philosophies of Ido and Occidental.

You may or may not agree with the philosophy of Interlingua, but, as I
see the situation, Gode really believed in that philosophy, so you
cannot accuse him of hypocrisy because of his faith on that
philosophy. Not because of that. If you do not agree with the
philosophy, you can say Gode was equivocated, not that he was an
hypocrite.

> To say
>
> [...] This also relates to naturalness vs artificiality. For
> Gode, Interlingua already existed, if latently, in the source languages. This is
> what "natural" means in his usage: as I shall show, a form is natural if it is
> already present in the sources, at least by implication. And that is why I say
> that producing a form that doesn't exist even implicitly is unnatural, so doing it
> anyway is hypocritical--if the result is termed "natural."
>
> This is also why I find the lack of a dual substantive series so curious--and
> unnatural. The consistent solution would be to follow the source languages
> and have two roots--one nominal and the other adjectival: cielo/celeste,
> tempo/temporal, etc. Why? Because it "prevents these [words] from assuming
> unnaturally distorted forms" (though they then add that the "unnatural" forms
> are still permissible). I'm just saying that a rule applied elsewhere should apply
> to the nouns I've mentioned, so they don't take on "unnaturally distorted
> forms."

In the Dizionario Etimologico Online (for the Italian language), there
is more evidence that [it] "cielo" and [it] "celeste" have a strong
etymological relationship:
http://etimo.it/?term=cielo&find=Cerca
http://etimo.it/?term=celeste&find=Cerca

> In case you haven't figured it out, the quote is from _Interlingua Grammar_,
> App 1: Double-Stem Verbs. The whole reason for having two verb stems (one
> for conjugation, the other for derivation) is to prevent such "unnaturally
> distorted forms" as "scribitura, corrumpitive, incidition." Although these forms
> are permitted, they are also "unnaturally distorted." Sound familiar? So by
> analogy, the natural, undistorted forms should be cielo, tempo, etc., with
> secondary derivative forms celest-, tempor-, etc. If users want to back-form ?
> celo, ?tempore, and so on, let 'em. But those are "unnaturally distorted."

As you said: one stem is for conjugation, another one for derivation.
We do not conjugate nouns, so we have just one stem, applied for
derivation. "cielo" and "tempo" would not conform to their families of
words, because of this we have the "normalized" forms "celo" and
"tempore".

> Final point: I know this has gone on too long already, but I had hoped to cover
> another quirk of Interlingua. (I'll pick on Occidental next. Really.) I find it odd
> that majority rules for the lexicon (a form theoretically must exist in at least
> three source languages), but in the grammar, one negative overrules even a
> majority positive. I think this was done so English could act as a spoiler and
> eliminate certain undesirable features all the other sources had--subject-verb
> agreement, adjective-noun agreement, grammatical gender, etc. Think what
> would have happened had the majority ruled here as well!
>
> But even here the method isn't consistently followed.

I would argue that no method was applied for deriving the "official"
Interlingua grammar. As I see it, the only principle which was
followed during the elaboration of the grammar was "create an
arbitrary grammar that is a mix of the Romance and English grammars
which works". If the principle of "if a source natlang lacks,
Interlingua lacks" were followed during the elaboration of the
grammar, we would not have possessive pronoun/adjective pairs such as
"mi/mie", "tu/tue", etc., as they do not exist in Portuguese:

[ia] Isto es mi libro.
[pt] Este é meu livro.

[ia] Iste libro es mie.
[pt] Este livro é meu.

I also have criticisms against some points in Interlingua. I just
reply to some of your criticisms because I see them as invalid. About
the ones you argue and are valid in my opinion, I just say "Amen",
without necessarily informing the list that I agree with them.

I will be waiting for your next message. I hope it will be in a more
humble and friendly tone than the last ones.

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues