Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  May 2007, Week 4

AUXLANG May 2007, Week 4

Re: WAL Marketing (< Wikipedia in Planned Languages)

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 May 2007 12:47:16 -0700

Je 07.14 ptm 2007.05.26, Jens WILKINSON skribis
>--- "Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > >When you say "found to be wanting," are you
> > primarily
> > >thinking of something intrinsic about the language,
> > or
> > >do you mean it more as "they will be found wanting
> > >because they don't have many speakers?"
> > >
> > >If you mean the first, I think would be quite an
> > >interesting question to consider, though the second
> > >would not.
>
>I thought you did, but just wanted to check. The
>problem is, I'm not sure even how much of a consensus
>there is on what makes a good IAL. Just as a personal
>example, I find it nearly possible to understand posts
>in Euroclones (to be honest, I can't really tell them
>apart), and the same is not true for Esperanto or Ido.
>But there is a good reason for it: I was brought up in
>France and am basically fluent in comprehension (not
>necessarily in speech though), and also am pretty good
>at Spanish. So I don't think the same would be true at
>all for say a Hindi speaker.
>
>The problem is, I'm not sure if there is really a lot
>of data available on what makes a good IAL for people
>outside of Europe. There have been speakers of
>Esperanto and Ido and Interlingua, but I don't think
>that much else has ever really been made available.
>Certainly, just to bring up my own little project, I
>know for almost certain that no Chinese has ever tried
>to learn it. One or two have heard of it (because I
>told them), but none has ever tried to actually learn
>it. So there's really no way to say whether it would
>be good for them.
>
>To me there are a lot of things that really remain
>untested. One of my basic ideas in NP (and this is
>shared by Ceqli and Toki Pona) is that words should
>not be inflected. Is this a good thing or not? How can
>we know, since none of these languages have ever
>really spread that far.

Very few, if any, of the languages discussed in this list are
actually _inflected_, except in very minor ways (in Esperanto, the
two endearment suffixes -CxJ- and -NJ- cause inflection in the stems
to which they are attached; in Interlingua, there's inflection in a
couple of the participial forms, leading to the argument that the
language actually has _three_ conjugations rather than one; to the
best of my knowledge, these are the extent of the inflections in
those two languages). Unfortunately, while inflection actually occurs
_within_ a morpheme, in this list the term is generally used to
distinguish languages which do not separate the morpheme modified
from the morpheme being modified by a space in writing from those
that do, without attention to what actually goes on _within_ the
morphemes. So, for instance, the Esperanto "iros" (will go) is
inflected, at least in this list, while the English "will go" is
analytical, at least in this list. And, since inflection is
*naughty*, "iros" must be more difficult to use than "will go"
(despite the fact that the -os morpheme is easily learned and easily
usable, while even native speakers have problems with the two future
morphemes "shall" and "will"). (*)

>And another idea that I have
>adopted (along with a number of newer IAL proposals)
>is the idea of adopting an international vocabulary.
>But this is largely untested as well, outside of
>Europe I mean.

Almost all IALs and IAL wannabes hve "international" vocabularies;
even Interlingua's is international. I think the term you want is
"global". I will have something to say about this below.

>I think it is probably possible to make a pretty valid
>comparison between Esperanto and Ido and the big
>Euroclones and maybe Volapuk,* but for say Toki Pona,
>I don't think that there is really enough data to make
>a comparison.

Your second paragraph, I think, has pretty much determined what I'm
going to write in answer.

There are two fundamental matters to be considered in an IAL. One is
"motivation" and the second is "learnability". Motivation plays at
least two basic roles, and in one of these it and learnability have
to engage in trade-offs.

You are not going to convince anybody to even start learning a
language, however "international", without providing some motivation.
Motivations, of course, vary from person to person. For most, a
hundred dollars a month more in their paycheck provides plenty of
motivation to dive into a language; but I don't think you can offer
that towards the learning of NeoPatwa yet. Others are motivated by
the possibility of communicating with people outside their own little
corner of the world; but, again, no IAL in the throes of being born
can offer that. Some (relatively few) people are motivated by
idealism and a view towards the future ("NeoPatwa, if spoken by many
people throughout the world, can lead to peace and friendship"); this
was one of the attractions to its earlier speakers of Esperanto; but,
caution, just as a battle plan seldom survives first contact with the
enemy, this particular motivation doesn't seem to long survive first
contact with the gritty realities of having to learn a language.
Finally, with any luck, you'll encounter some of those rare people
who are just motivated by a desire to collect languages, and the
talent -- inborn or trained -- to collect them successfully. But,
again caution, such people aren't generally satisfied with one
language, and, having learned NeoPatwa (for instance), there is
nothing to stop them from proceeding to Sasxsek (for instance); but,
of course, they will remain speakers of NeoPatwa for the rest of
their lives, even if no longer interested in it.

The hard part is in getting somebody to actually stick with learning
the language. Here's where learnability comes in. If the language is
easily learnable -- if, for instance, to select an example that most
people think is wildly exaggerated, after one day you can actually
_use_ the language for something -- you don't have the time to start
having doubts, and so require a ratcheting-up of your motivation. The
harder the language is to learn, however, the more motivated you need
to be to stay with it. If, after a year of study, your tutor tells
you: "You're doing fine, three more years and you'll be able to order
a beer in the language," even the most motivated of voluntary
students is going to start telling himself things like "This just
isn't worth an extra hundred bucks a month. Four hundred, maybe ..."

This is one of the reasons why I've been griping about these weird
adjective endings in Interlingua; they do not contribute to
learnability. In Esperanto, if you learn 3,000 nouns, let us say, one
adjective ending -A, and one rule for applying that to nouns, you
have, at the cost of 3,002 memorization units, learned 3,000 nouns
and 3,000 adjectives. (**) Bernasconi counted approximately 25
different endings which were really nothing more than adjective
endings in Interlingua. So presumably, in Interlingua, if you learn
3,000 nouns, 25 adjective endings, and 3,000 rules about which
adjective ending to apply to a given noun (because, again, you may be
able to say "hippic" -- or "equin" for that matter, but when to use
which of those is another question -- but you can't say "hippestre"
or "equic"), you have learned 3,000 nouns and 3,000 adjectives at the
cost of 6,025 memorization units (it actually saves you a small
amount of memorization just to learn the adjectives separately, as
though they were independent words). This does not contribute to
learnability. It doesn't militate against it, either, in overall
terms -- I doubt you'll find a West European ethnic language which
does better, or anywhere near as well -- but to learn Interlingua
requires a higher degree of motivation to keep going than to learn
Esperanto, for instance. (***)

Much of learnability has to do with vocabulary. There are various
ideas about where vocabulary ought to come from, but I've never
figured out what any of them has to do with learnability. Some people
believe that a vocabulary is more easily learnable, or in the worst
case more harmonious, if it is taken from the same source or group of
sources. Me, I've never been particularly clear on the idea that the
Esperanto "diskriminacio" and "sed" are either more easily learnable
as individual words or more harmonious when sitting next to each
other simply because both come ultimately or directly from Latin. If
two words fit into the defined phonology of a planned language, or
can be modified slightly to fit, I don't see any problem if one comes
from Finnish and the other from Bahasa Indonesia. The argument can
also be made that if you select words from a single language or group
of languages, you have a big headstart in learnability with the
speakers of that language or the languages of that group. The first
of these, of course, is pretty much irrelevant, because you're not
aiming at speakers of a single language; the second is pretty much
left over from the era before decolonization, when part of the WENSA
world believed (as, apparently, much of it still does) that it is the
be-all and end-all of civilization. I'm not arguing that a vocabulary
taken from a single language or from a particular group of languages
is, in and of itself, in any way inferior to a vocabulary randomly
selected from global sources; I'm simply arguing that it is not, in
and of itself, in any way _superior_ to such a vocabulary. Six of
one, half a dozen of the other.

Finally, a word on neutrality, which is often quoted, by proponents
of this or that planned language, as one of its "advantages". Namely:
Nobody cares. Not any more, at any rate. (****) If they did, of
course, the argument could be made -- correctly! -- that _any_
planned language, no matter what the sources of its vocabulary, was
"neutral" -- no country whose national tongue was Esperanto or
Interlingua, for instance, engaged in colonialism, or in wars against
its neighbors.

Ultimately finally: you asked "do you mean it more as 'they will be
found wanting because they don't have many speakers?'" I don't think
having many speakers defines a language; but you might consider
asking yourself: "Why does this particular language have so many
speakers when others of similar provenance do not?" The interesting
question is not whether Esperanto has many speakers compared, for
instance, to Ido, almost as old, but _why_ it has so many speakers.

---

(*) Chinese, for various reasons mostly having to do with its writing
system, is "analytical", though if the Chinese ever started using
pinyin seriously for anything other than impressing Westerners, such
common terms as "nu"ren", "nimen" and "wode" might start people on
this list taking the term "agglutinative" seriously ... ;-)

(**) I don't mention Ido, for which this particular example is
marginally more complex than for Esperanto -- the intercession of the
suffix -AL-, so I understand -- but nowhere near as troublesome as
the situation with Interlingua.

(***) The argument will be made that you don't have to learn these
rules, or even the words, to be able to _read_ Interlingua, if you
happen to have the right linguistic background. Though this argument
seems to me, from my own experience and that of others, to be
exaggerated -- once again, if it's true, where's the Interlingua
publishing industry catering to this ability of some hundreds of
millions of people to read Interlingua at sight? -- there's at least
a certain amount of truth to it; but it doesn't address the question
of those who want to _learn_ the language in order to _use_ it actively.

(****) You may find many people who claim to care, most of whom, when
push comes to shove, will have no genuine problem with regard to
neutrality about learning _any_ language (English in China, for
instance). A few will be quite emphatic about it; most of these, it
will probably turn out, have some axe to grind or other. If you can
find Diogenes' lamp or one manufactured in the same lot, and carry it
around with you, you might actually, at some time or other, encounter
that rarity, a person who actually _cares_ about the "neutrality" of
a language. I would not, however, hold my breath.

-- Don HARLOW