Monospaced Font

CONLANG  October 2007, Week 1

CONLANG October 2007, Week 1

Re: Consonant allophones in Minza

Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:18:52 +0200

Henrik Theiling skrev:
> Hi!
>
> Benct Philip Jonsson writes:
>> A word of warning: in MediaWiki you must always put a zero-
>> width joiner character &zwj; between a precomposed i with a
>> superscript diacritic and a combining subscript diacritic,
>> or the engine will 'normalize' it into a dotted i
>> precomposed with a subscript diacritic and a combining
>> superscript diacritic, which of course means that with most
>> fonts you get the dot of the i disturbing the superscript
>> diacritic! So you should write e.g. ī&zwj;̣-- i.e.
>> &#x012B;&zwj;&#x0323; -- to get the right thing.
>
> Just a short clarification:
>
> The behaviour is not an error of MediaWiki, but the usual, correct
> Unicode normalisation. If you get bad results, then either your
> browser or your font is broken, not MediaWiki.

I agree.

> So I would recommend to *not* use a &zwj; to hack-fix a broken
> behaviour of a browser or font, but instead to use a working browser
> or font, or if that is out of the question (for whatever reason), live
> with a distorted display, and/or inform the maintainers of the browser
> or font of not being Unicode compliant.

I *dis*agree. I want as correct display as possible *now*,
and I won't sit around until someone fixes the problem if I
can fake it now. I think think that computers should adapt
to humans and not the other way around. I guess I'm not the
compliant type...

> **Henrik

/BP 8^)>
"Sometimes you can't make it