AUXLANG October 2007, Week 4

The Centennial Letters

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:13:55 -0700

[Commentary by G. Waringhien: To Moch's nervousness, Zamenhof
answered with a calming letter, in which he defined -- somewhat too
late -- what should have been the position of the Esperantist members
of the Delegation Committee.]

From: L. L. Zamenhof
To: Gaston Moch
Date: October 28, 1907

Dear Sir!

I received your detailed letter of October 26 with sincere thanks. I
hope to write to you in more detail next week, when my very tired
head will have rested somewhat; now I want to write to you only a few
*tentative* thoughts.

Before everything, from my heart I beg you, don't be afraid that the
Esperantists will name you a traitor: everybody knows you very well
and everybody knows very well that your intentions were the best,
most honest and most selfless for our cause. It may be said that you
acted without complete carefulness, that you acted somewhat under
suggestion and external influence, but everybody will admit that you
can't be blamed for that because perhaps everybody else would also
not have been without error in your place.

One of the points that led you into error is your incorrect opinion
about the "Fundamento" and about the Declaration of Boulogne
(probably under the influence of Couturat's constant but unjust
attacks). Nobody has demanded that in fighting against the Delegation
you should be led by the dogma of "untouchability", and that you
should come to the meetings with an absolute "non possumus" [we
cannot -DH]! You were completely FREE. The "Fundamento" exists only
for *individuals*, but it does not at all exist for the *entire
Esperanto-speaking community*. Just as one congress fixed the
Fundamento, another congress has a complete right to *discard* the
Fundamento, if this is shown to be necessary. Nobody has forbidden
you to say that the Esperantists can accept reforms; you should only
have said that they can only do that in a *legitimate* way, i.e.,
previously by vote of the Language Committee and then by sanction of
a new congress. Consequently you had the complete right to freely
take part in the discussion and elaboration of reform projects, but
you would have had to insist that the project be presented to the
Esperanto-speaking people, not be forced on them by a few individuals
standing completely to the side. If you wanted to favor the
Committee, you could only promise it that you would use your entire
influence to convince the Esperantists to accept the reforms, but you
could not dishonor the Esperanto-speaking people by submitting many
thousands of persons who have worked so much and so long and with
such difficulty and have acquired so much -- by submitting that
entire people to the orders of a few persons who may have a very
impressive exterior and very glorious names, but who have neither the
right nor the competence to give orders in international-language
matters and who have done nothing but came to a matter [already] ready.

But let's not speak more of this, because I repeat that, if I may not
completely approve of the *results* of your work, I nevertheless
*very much appreciate* your good *intention*, and for all your work I
express to you my sincerest heartfelt thanks, and I am convinced that
I can do this not only in my own name but in the name of the entire
Esperanto-speaking people.

Now there's the question, what must we do going one? We *can't*
accept the decision of the Delegation, because in the way in which it
was made, it is a great insult to the Esperanto-speaking people. Each
of us can be very humble for his own *person*, but the honor of our
entire *people* must be holy to us. If you think that the few
overproud ambitious people really have great strength and can harm us
much, then perhaps we must do as follows: ourselves take into our
hands the matter of reforms and in such a way completely paralyze the
arrogant ones who wanted to force their laws on us; we must choose
5-10 of the most competent Esperantists, bring them together in a
town of central Europe (or in Paris) and there over 10-15 days work
out through our common strengths a project of the most necessary
reforms, send the project to all members of the Language Committee
(explaining to them the urgency of the matter), acquire by vote the
acceptance of the reforms and then present it for sanctioning to the
next congress. Such is my current, *tentative* opinion. I will
consider it further, and, if it is shown to be good, I will get
advice about it from the General (to whom you may show my letter),
with Messieurs Boirac, Bourlet and perhaps with a few others.
Meanwhile I beg you to kindly write me your opinion.

P.S. -- I suppose that the various pseudo-philological (or more
correctly polyglot) remarks of the committee members impressed you,
and you forgot that only *practical* researchers, not theoreticians,
can judge our cause; by theory, for example, we can prove that the
many oj, aj, ojn etc. not only are not to be discarded, but they must
even be *intentionally* introduced, because the very harmonious
ancient Greek language has them in large number ...

Persons who want to create or reform a language in the period of a
few weeks show in this way how lightly they are treating the matter.
And persons who demand that in the very important question which
concerns the entire fate of the matter the totally unprepared
Esperanto-speaking people should give them an answer in the period of
a few weeks are already showing in this way that they are just making
an inopportune joke; even if you wanted to join them, we couldn't do
this sooner than after 5-6 months, because in such an important
question none of us has the right of giving them a quick reply,
without holding council, previously, quite readily and legally, with
the entire Esperanto-speaking people.

[Commentary by G. Waringhien: This letter has the merit of showing
what the conflict was really about: it was not so much a question of
language reforms -- about which well-intentioned people could always
come to agreement in some way -- as it was a collision between prides
-- personal pride for Couturat and Ostwald, collective pride for
Boirac (for the Language Committee) and Zamenhof (for the entire
Esperanto-speaking people). This explains why the chances for
peaceful agreement were very small, and why the later battle became
so unpardoning. If we add to this the weight of the private hatreds
and of the material interests, it will be understood that the
diplomatic game was lost from the first step.]

-- Don HARLOW