Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  October 2007, Week 4

AUXLANG October 2007, Week 4

Re: The world would be better with just English

Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:16:51 -0400

> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MacLeod Dave

> http://www.theledger.com/article/20071027/NEWS/710270412/1326

	"The article requested can not be found! Please refresh your
browser or
	go back. (LL,20071027,NEWS,710270412,AR)."

>  Experts who have spent their adult lives studying the spoken word
> estimate that there are about 7,000 languages in the world, many
of
> which are disappearing through disuse.
>
> The experts in the article I read bemoan the demise of so many
> languages. Not me.
>
> I don't go along with these language experts who seem to think
more is
> better. I think that the fewer languages we have, the better off
> civilization will be.

You're right, it's not a popular position, but I agree.  We'd all be
best off with just *one*, but fewer is certainly better.  I am for
preserving information on other languages though for the historical
record.

> It's not going to happen for another thousand years, but
eventually
> just one language will be used by everyone in the world.

I don't think it will take that long.  I'd guess maybe more like
200-300 years, and expect that in 100 years English will have
saturated the globe, though the major languages of today will still
be alive in their own locales.

> If there are obscure languages that contribute some substantial
amount
> to the distribution of information, then those languages deserve
> survive, but I doubt there are many of these.

I don't know if they need to survive as living languages, but they
do need to be documented as there will still be a need to refer to
past literature in these languages.

> I don't even think there are any.

Well, if they had someone significant, then they would be brought to
the forefront.

> I have a list of languages you've probably never heard of. Just
for
> example, there's Ainu, Bikya, Bom, Livonian, Magati Ke, - and
don't
> forget Sanskrit, which still exists in parts of India.

Well, yets I've heard of some of those.  Sanskrit exists in small
numbers, it's significance is more liturgical and historical.

BTW: I've been trying to find information on Tongva which is
extinct, but attempts are underway to reconstruct it.

> In Russia there's a language called Chulym, which language experts
> estimate is still written and spoken by only 100 people. Canada
has
> about 25 languages spoken by a just a handful of people.

A browse through Ethnologue will reveal a lot of languages like
this.  The Austronesian family has a lot, but they are related and
share a lot of cognate vocabulary.

> I worry about being called xenophobic (having a fear or dislike of
> foreigners) for saying so, but I think the world would be a better
> place if everyone spoke English.

For myself, I'd word that a bit differently.  I think the world
would be better if we all spoke the same language, then further
qualify that by saying that English is the best choice given the
current state of things.

> The English language is far from perfect - as a matter of fact,
it's a
> grammatical jungle. Many of its rules of grammar make no sense,
but I
> think it's the best language in the world - mostly because it's
one of
> the biggest. The more words there are in a language, the better
that
> language is at expressing all the ideas we have.

I certainly wouldn't say it's the best in the world, but will say
it's the best choice for now.  Most of the planned languages
proposed would be better, but I don't think any conlangs stand a
snowball's chance in Hell. English is already well on its way.

> French is universally admired for its euphonious grace, but there
are
> only about 125,000 French words. Between a half-million and a
million
> words are in the English language.

More words really aren't better.  The English lexicon is so bloated
it's digusting.  Of the million or so words in English, many are
synonyms, or near-synonyms with only a slightly different shade of
meaning.  A large number of words are seldom-used specialty terms
that could have been better derived from existing vocabulary

> The German language is larger than French. After we won WWII, we'd
> have done the Germans a favor if we'd made them all speak English.

Ever been to Germany?  Very few don't have at least some English
skills.  Likewise for most of Northern Europe.

> One of the curious things about the English language is that very
> often the people who speak it in one country can hardly understand
the
> people speaking it in another country. There are parts of England
> where an American could starve to death if he had to order a meal
in
> what he considers to be English.

I have to admit, I've heard some dialects that are difficult to
understand, but never had any real problems with L1 speakers whether
from Canada, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia or even
South Africa.  L2 speakers are a different story, as evidenced by
the troubles I've had dealing with companies that have their
customer service call centers in India.

> One of the more notable efforts to produce a common language
occurred
> in 1887 when several scholars invented Esperanto.
>
> They hoped Esperanto would become the one language used by the
whole
> world. It never happened.
>
> In 1951, an organization calling itself the International
Auxiliary
> Language Association came up with Interlingua, but they didn't
have
> any more success pushing that as an all-purpose language than
> supporters of Esperanto did.

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't place any bets on it, even if
you gave me astronomical odds.

> There has always been some international resistance to the
universal
> acceptance of English, but there isn't any other language that's
> acceptable to everyone, either.

No matter what language, natural or artificial, is "chosen",
resistance can be expected.

> A lot of countries and individuals in the United Nations have
tried to
> slow the creeping dominance of English, but they're failing.
>
> Many United Nations representatives speak English, regardless of
what
> country they're from and regardless of their pride in their native
> language. English is simply a fact of life in the UN.

The UN has six languages, but yes English is rising up to be the
preferred choice.  It has already estblished itself for global
commerce, and has certainly taken over as the language of diplomacy
where French was once dominant.

What could stop the takeover of one language?  I can only see a
couple of scenarios.  One would be technological advances that make
realtime machine translation effective, portable and affordable.  I
expect that by the time this happens, it will already bee too late.
The other possible scenario would be some type of global
catastrophe, manmade or otherwise, that would destroy transportation
and/or communication infrastructures.