AUXLANG  October 2007, Week 5

AUXLANG October 2007, Week 5

Re: Machinability problems

Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:55:29 -0400

> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Larry Sulky

> Safari shows them okay by default.

"Default" is just the issue here.  Technically, a well-designed
webpage will have META tags to identify the encoding used on the
page, but there are a lot of sloppy webpages out there because of
lazy designers and/or sloppy web tools.  Lacking the proper META
tag, depending on your browser, it will either attempt to
automatically figure out the encoding, or use whatever you have set
for a default (often a Western European setting).  If you know the
encoding, you can manually force it to a particular setting.

In any case, it's a mess that would quickly go away if we could get
everyone to just use the Unicode/UTF-8 standards instead of the
numerous mutually incompatible 8-bit encodings, then make that our
default.  Until then, we'll just have to suffer with these problems.