AUXLANG October 2007, Week 5

one of my assumptions

auliuniv <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:40:57 -0700

James, I like that expression.

Let's now reverse the question.

Instead of James the European, let's momentarily turn you into James the Chinese. A patty-
rice farmer in the depths of great China. As far from civilization as possible.

Now, James the chinaman sits down one day with his "chinese IAL" he has just developed. It
is so good, that all 17 major dialects of Chinese can now speak and write to each other in
ONE language to be their L2. Of course, James reinforces the idea that, naturally his
language is not to replace any dialect, just to become the second language, an auxiliary
language, an auxlang, if you will.

Then, the other chinaman Bruce comes along and he says, hey, that won't fly, [remember,
they are talking in chinese right now], the Europeans, those stupid clouts that can't and won't
learn Chinese, cannot make the tones we make.

Wow, says James the chinaman. We MUST fix that right away. Let's make changes.

NO, says Bruce, let's make a new language, one that will incorporate the Europeans.

James says, but how do you do that, they don't use tones, they can't even sing our kind of
music.

Bruce, hmmm, that's a thought.

Kjell the chinaman neighbor walking by hears the discussion and chimes in. Well, look you
guys, if this keeps up you will never get your language out the door.

He continues: Why don't we take a look at the European languages, learn something about
them, and then, make changes based on actual understanding of the problem.

In the meantime, Don H. the chinaman from across town walks by. They stop him, and tell
him what they've come up with. Great says Don. The only thing that will attract their attention
is numbers. We must creat a very simple new language with daft hats to impress them, and
tell them we have 2,000,000 speakers already. Besides, with the Chinese population what it
is, they'll never be able to check this out.

So, they get their act together and start working as a team. Others come by with THEIR own
personal opinion. Everything comes to a full standstill. No one can agree on which or what or
how to reach the Europeans.

Then, chinaman A. Gode comes by and says, hey, they like Latin, let's take that old language
and revive it with a Chinese flavor and they will go for that. They love old ancient Latin. That
will impress them, why just think of the scientific journals they can produce that the public at
large never reads. But, at least we can get the scientists.

Then an old Taoist comes along, and they grab him. Hey, "Old Mountain Man" you know a lot
about the Dow, tell us what we're doing wrong here. So, the old Taoist tells them this.

You gotta think like they think. And, they want it easy. This stuff you are doing is too hard for
them. They can't even pronounce a -t properly. Some of the can't say the, they say dee. How
stupid of those people. They are so siimple minded, and lazy, they can't possibly learn
Chinese, the best language on earth used by over 1 billion chinese, so what chance do they
have with your IAL? But, I do have a solution. Instead of looking at European languages, look
at how people all over the earth communicate together. I think they call it, "an international
language" hidden within their major languages. Why, even our embassies, and government
officials use their languages.

So, they start to look and see what is used MOST around the world in commerce, diplomacy,
and science meetings, etc. Wow, it isn't Chinese it is a whole bunch of languages. And,
certain words stand out because they are found in over a dozen of their languages. And, they
are used all over the world. What a find!!! Why, we can use this concept to reach them. We'll
just take the most common words from their languages, combine them in a special way,
simplify the grammar to the bare minimum, and give them the end results. It is certain they
will then want to use it. What shall we call it? Well, since these INTERNATIONAL words
came from their languages, let's call it Occidental because it was developed with Western
words and grammar points.

Hey, they won't go for that, one says. Maybe Bruce.

Why not, says James.

Well, because I think my language is better.

Kjell, jumps in and says, look, it's ok, let's just learn our Chinese IAL and the Occidental we
just developed for the West. Wait a minute, Kjell says, as a brilliant light just went off in his
mind. What are we thinking? They won't use Occidental unless they see enough people
using it. So, let us learn and use it. Then, when we get enough Chinese using it, and the
West finds out how simple it is, and that it came from their international commerce and
diplomatic usage, not counting even tourism, why they will jump on the band waggon.
Besides, we make cheaper toys, and things by the billions, and they will want to send us
orders. You bet they will jump at Occidental.

Then another of the chinamen auxlangers jumps in and puts the whole thing to rest.

Hey, you forgot that that languages uses one accent and that will mess up their computers
because they are really computer illiterate and don't even know what a font is.

So, they all went home, having accomplished nothing.

And, the old Taoist was heard muttering, as he walked off, of all the egotistical nonsense I
have ever seen. The ego involved in trying to develop a language for foreigners like that
when we can't even communicate in China easily. Dump language thumpers, all they do lis
play and play and play. Not one of them can climb the mountain.

But, unbeknown to the rest, the old Taoist had slipped all the paperwork, grammar and all, in
his robe pocket.

In the next village as he walked through the crowd wondered at the chant for meditation they
heard from him.

"Yo es un mann." "Mi nomine es Bob." "Yo va viagear in un nave." "Yo va ir a Europa."
"Yo es, vu es, tu es, il es, ella es, it es."
"Un, du, tri, quar, quin, sex, set, ott, nin, deci."

"Maria havet un litt agnelle."

"Esser o ne esser, ti es li question."

"De null venit un, de un venit du, de du venit tri, e de tri venit li deci mil coses."

I never heard that chant before said a chinese lady as they watched him leave town heading
toward the ocean.