Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  November 2007, Week 1

AUXLANG November 2007, Week 1

Re: Why cross-linguistic world auxiliary language?

Olivier Simon <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:58:42 -0400

Sell vesper prients!

Though I've got now less free time, I'm always glad to read your intersting
comments! Thanks for the answers on the difficulty of assimilation of Chinese
words.
Yes, Dmitry, I remembered when Risto talked about "kado", and I may have
even already quoted the Indonesian word "kado" which is a loanword from
French through Netherlandic. But I suppose that Indonesian does not respect
the French (and Netherlandic) accentuation on the last syllable of "cadeau"
(maybe the same with "kudeta" and "coup d'état").
This point allows me to explain once again that sambahsa is not
really "complicated" but rather "elaborated", that means that there are more
rules than in many other auxlangs (except, say, volapük...) but they all have a
utility, because they bring to the language either (or at the same time) more
precision or more shortness (and for many IE languages, those features are
already "traditional"). I don't contend that one can assimilate the grammar
within one afternoon (I would rather say within a week); but nearly everything
is regular (on the contrary to natlangs). My motto is not "Pourquoi faire simple
quand on peut faire compliqué?"; I prefer to mean that sambahsa is based on
Rawls' maximin according to which a reasonable thinker will not bet on where
he risks to win the most, but rather on what he risks to lose the least (so, for
auxlangs, "simplicity vs. rentability").
For example, the orthograph of sambahsa is more elaborated than most
auxlangs, but it allows to assimlate the french word "cadeau" with the same
orthograph and the same accentuation (while very few Francophones would
recognize at first sight "kado" or for example "susi" instead of "souci").
Dmitry gives us the indonesian example of "abstrak" from
Netherlandic "abstract". Afrikaans has "abstrak" too, while sambahsa
has "abstract"... Many auxlangers would tell that "abstrak" is simpler
than "abstract"... I don't think so. In Afrikaans, you have in truth two forms
(and not one as in Netherlandic or sambahsa) to learn: "abstrak" + "abstrakt-"
when this word is added an ending (for example, as an epithet, comparative or
superlative....). Indonesian does not have endings, but there is no way to
determine the derivation for a word-formation from "abstrak", for
example "abstraksi"... And, in Afrikaans, there is no way to guess that the
corresponding verb is "abstraheer".
In sambahsa, all is phonetically and grammatically regular. It is explicit stated
in my grammar that the final "t" can be unpronounced in the spoken language
if the speaker finds it too difficult; in the wriiten language, you can simply add
the endings of the "vocalic euphonisation" and obtain "abstracto" which is
easier to pronounce. The only root to know is the verbal stem "abstrag"
whence you can derive the past participles "abstract" and "abstragen". It's
completely regular, compared to Afrikaans, and even richer than Occidental
which has only "abstracter" as a verb (for Von Wahl's rules have been
strengthened in sambahsa). The conjugation is regular; present: abstrago,
abstracs, abstract, abstragmos, abstracte, abstrage(nt). Sambahsa is neither
an uninflected language (like a pidgin) which leads often to misunderstandings
in complexe sentences, nor an "absolute" language like (f.e.) esperanto where
endings are everywhere and indicate the function of each word (and
lengthens words too much by the same way). Sambahsa is rather a "relative"
language where endings are not everywhere, but whose frequency helps a lt
reducing the risks of misunderstandings; and moreover, they are based on IE
legacy and often provide very short forms (which auxlang, except Dutton
speedwords, can compete? Who will give up English or French for a faked
Italian where you need twice more time to express the same things?)...
Every language, including auxlangs, have to express