AUXLANG November 2007, Week 1

The Centennial Letters

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:35:26 -0700

From: L. L. Zamenhof
To: Hippolyte Sebert
Date: November 1, 1907

Dear General!

I have received your letters of October 27 and 28 and also your
telegram of October 31. In the first days the Delegation matter made
me very sad and nervous; but now, the more I think about the matter,
the more I grow calm and the more I come to the conviction that we
have nothing to fear, despite all M. Couturat's threats. So I am now
asking myself whether it is really necessary for me to undertake my
intended journey. I beg you, please write me your opinion about that.

I intend to write an "Open letter to all friends of an international
language". This letter, which will not speak especially about the
Delegation and will touch on no people, will speak in general about
the various crimes which are committed against our language; it will
clearly show the reasons why no changes can now be made and it will
warn the world against all similar derelictions, under whatever
attractive or pseudo-authoritative form they are presented. It seems
to me that such a letter, if it is well written, will save us for
always against all crimes. I can be sen out to all the world's most
important magazines, it can also be published in the form of a
separate pamphlet so that it may serve in the hands of every
Esperantist as a refutation against all attacks that the Delegation
may want to make against us. Meanwhile it seems to me that it will be
better if we keep completely calm and silent.

I received a letter from M. Couturat about the results, and I wrote
to him in short that I can't give him an answer earlier than when I
will have asked the opinion of the Esperantists. It seems to me that
we don't yet have to be in too much of a hurry with our answer to the
Delegation. It might be better of the entral Office were to send to
all groups (or to all members of the Language Committee) a small
explanation of the matter and were to ask them whether they agree for
us to give in their name more or less the following reply (I give the
*approximate* text; please hold council among yourselves about the
definitive text): "The Esperantist Central Ofice has sent to all
Esperantist groups (or 'The chairman of the Language Committee ... to
all members of the Committee') the proposal of the 'Delegation for
adoption of an international auxiliary language', and by a majority
of ... voices against .... (or 'unanimously') the groups (or
'committee members') have commissioned us to give the Delegation the
following reply:'The Esperantists believe that the current Esperanto
is totally suitable for all needs of life and that all improvements
in Esperanto, if shown to be necessary, must be made not by outside
individuals who don't know the language and its needs but by the
Esperantists themselves, with the help of competent representatives
chosen by the Esperantists themselves. For that reason the
Esperantists reject the Delegation's proposal.'"

I repeat that this is just an *example* of a text; but the real text
please hold council and write your proposal to me.

In my opinion a small note must be meanwhile sent to the Esperantist
magazines, to advise them to pay no attention to the matter and
promise that they will soon receive more detailed advice about their
attitude ["sintenado"]. It might be good to warn the readers against
the tricky maneuvering of a few people who take pains to make it
believed by every individual Esperantist that the majority of
Esperantists want reforms, that they will fall away, etc.; warn
against apparent friends of Esperanto who want to "save" it.

It's necessary to consider some kind of means for relieving M. de
Beaufront of danger and leaving him the possibility of drawing back.
I am now sending you his letter with the request that you kindly send
it back to me after reading it.

It would be useful to study well the intentions of M. Michaux, who is
alluded to by Beaufront.

It might be well to warn M. Couturat that if he begins a too
dangerous game, we will be forced to publicly explain the entire
arrangement of the Delegation matter.

Now a few words about your "Marche a suivre" [Waringhien: Campaign plan].

1. Your intention to widely publish the Delegation's decision seems
to me not deserving of approval, because we must not show the world
that the Delegation has any importance in our eyes.

2. I agree, although I find that unnecessary. [Waringhien: The second
proposal had to do with the publication of articles aiming to
demonstrate that Ido was merely a plagiarism of Esperanto with
arguable or impractical modifications.]

3. To turn to the *governments* in the current moment seems to me a
matter too early and too dangerous, because it could give us such
surprises as the Delegation; we first have to *grow strong*.

4. To prepare now (or in the springtime) reforms "for the chance that
the governments will demand them of us" seems to me a very dangerous
matter: then it will be said that we ourselves find Esperanto bad and
changeworthy. We can speak of reforms only when the governments
*demand* them of us, i.e. when we know that Esperanto has already
been accepted in principle and our talk of reforms will not discredit
us; until that time we can try improvements only by the way of
*neologisms*, which would not break the unity between the
already-acquired and the to-be-acquired.

5. In my opinion all treatment with the Delegation is now not
possible, because after the manner of action of the Delegation our
yielding would be an insult to the Esperanto-speaking people, and
additionally we would have no guarantee that it would not give a bad
example and that tomorrow there will not come some new group of
people who will demand the same treatment from us. But if my opinion
is wrong and if the majority of members of the Language Committee
decide that we have to treat with the Delegation, then I ask for all
the elected members to be brought together in Paris and I will myself
come there and give all of my explanations and advice orally.

Now I repeat my request that you inform me whether (and when) I must
come to Paris or whether my coming is superfluous.

[Commentary by G. Waringhien: From this letter we clearly see the
diverging methods of the two men who would lead the battle against
the Delegation, Zamenhof and Sebert.

 From the first moment Zamenhof thought the acceptance of the
proposed reforms impossible, andeven discussion of them unworthy; he
would never agree to sacrifice the continuity of the language, and he
argued about the competence of the reformers. In fact, he judged the
matter only from the viewpoint of principles.

Sebert had a more diplomatic temperament. In his opinion, the matter
could be very troublesome for propaganda, especially in Germany,
where Ostwald enjoyed great prestige. It would be convenient to
maneuver cleverly to reach agreement and avoid a schism; first, one
should take steps to slow down the activity of the Delegation
Committee, to win the time necessary for discussion; second, because
Couturat and Beaufront showed themselves the most unyielding
supporters of Ido, one should in every way try to inform the other
members of the Delegation Committee about their trickery and
disloyalty, and split them off from the scientists, such as Ostwald,
Courtenay and Jespersen, and the sympathizers, such as Lemaire or
Michaux; if that could be attained, one would then have before him
instead of stubborn and arrogant enemies, learned and prudent
interlocutors, with whom it would be easier to come to an
understanding; even if, to acquire them, one would have to promise to
make a few, unimportant and sufficiently considered reforms, the game
was certainly worth that candle. A subtle strategy, which would
unfortunately be caused to fail by the equally subtle diplomacy of
Couturat and the traitorous tactics of Beaufront.]

-- Don HARLOW