CONLANG  January 2008, Week 3

CONLANG January 2008, Week 3

Re: Conlang fluency survey

Peter Collier <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:45:34 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Henry" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:39 PM
Subject: Conlang fluency survey

> == Part A: Personal and demographic data.  ==
>
> 01. a. What is your name (or online handle)?

See email header

>    b. May I quote you by name or handle in an article or talk about
>    conlang fluency?

No

>    c. If not, may I quote you anonymously?

Yes

> 02. a. What is your preferred email address (if not the address you
>    are sending the survey response from)?

This one

>    b. May I contact you with follow-up questions?

Yes

> 03. Do you have a website relating to your constructed language(s)?
>    If so, what is its URL?

No

> 04. a. How old are you?

33

>    b. How old were you when you first started creating languages?

Don't recall. Twenty something.

>    c. How old were you when you first attained significant fluency
>        in (one of) your constructed language(s)?

N/A

> 05. Are you male or female?

Yes

> 06. a. What is your nationality?

UK

>    b. Where do you live now?

UK

>    c. Where were your ancestors from?

UK/Ireland

> 07. What is/are your native language(s)?

English

> 08. What natural languages other than your native one(s) have you
>    studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

German (fluent) French, Spanish (both VERY rusty)

> 09. What constructed languages created by other people have you
>    studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

THrjotrunn, Wenedyk, Brythennic (sp?).  No fluency

> 10. What is your level of education?  What is/was/will be your major
>    or specialization?

BA (Hons) Modern Languages

> 11. What is (was/probably will be) your trade or profession?

Completely unrelated

> 12. Do you work part time? full time?  Are you a student or retired?

FT

> 13. a. What is your (approximate) income?
>    b. What was your family's approximate income when you were a
>     child?

No response

> 14. Are you single, married, divorced, widowed, remarried...?

Married

> 15. a. What is your religion, if any?

None (atheist)

>    b. What was your religious upbringing, if any?

Christian-ish (non-practising)

> 16. Are there other facts about yourself that you think might be
>    relevant?

No

> == Part B: The nature of your conlang. ==
>
> If you have devised more than one conlang, please focus in these
> questions on those you are most (nearly) fluent in.
>
> 17. What is the name of your primary conlang (the one you have
>    invested the most effort in or are most fluent in)?

Rienench (possible change pending - I'm in the middle of reviewing the
historical phonology)

> 18. What are the basic purpose(s) and design goals of your conlang?  Is
>    it associated with an imagined world or culture?  If so, are the
>    speakers human?

A Germano-Romance hybrid, out of curiosity as to what such a thing might
look like.
Culture/ history is no different to ours, except where necessary to explain
presence of language

> 19. Is your conlang a priori (devised from scratch) or a posteriori
>    (based on a specific natural language or language family), or a mix
>    of a priori and a posteriori elements?

a posteriori

> 20. Describe the typology of your conlang - what is its primary word
>    order (SVO, SOV, VSO...; pre- or postpositional; etc.)?  Is it
>    isolating, agglutinating, fusional, polysynthetic?  Is its case or
>    word order system primarily accusative, ergative, active,
>    other...?

SOV / V2. Basically as per German but with a Romanic twist

> 21. a. How extensive or complete do you consider your conlang to be (in
>    grammar and vocabulary)?

Very limited.

>    b. If you are not yet fluent in it, do you consider the language
>    complete enough for fluency to be attainable, or would it need
>    considerably more development for that to be possible?

Much more development required.

> 22. Does your conlang have features that might be expected to make it
>    especially difficult for speakers of your native language?

No more so than any other European language. If all else fails, shout louder
in English.

> 23. Does your conlang have possibly unnatural features that might be
>    expected to make fluency difficult or impossible for humans?

No.

> == Part C: Fluency in your conlang. ==
>
> 24. a. Do you intend to become fluent in your conlang, or did you when
>    you started creating it?

No.

>    b. If not, did you find yourself becoming fluent as an unexpected
>    result of developing and using it?

No.

> 25. If you intend to become fluent in your conlang, what are your
>    goals or purposes for learning it?

N/A

> 26. What do you use (or intend to use) your conlang for?
>    a. Prayer?
>    b. Meditation?
>    c. Thinking?
>    d. Taking notes in the course of study?
>    e. Writing notes to yourself (grocery lists, etc.)?
>    f. Writing a diary?
>    g. Writing poetry or other literature?
>    h. Singing?
>    i. Writing the grammar or lexicon of the conlang itself?
>    j. Pretending in public that you are a native speaker
>        of your conlang?
>    k. Anything else?

k. Pure nerdy interest

> 27. Can you write original text in your conlang, at least on some
>    subjects, without looking up words or grammatical structures?

No

> 28. Can you compose well-formed sentences in your conlang about as
>    fast as you can handwrite or type?

No.

> 29. Can you read text you wrote some time ago in your conlang without
>    looking up words in the lexicon or pausing to consciously parse or
>    translate it?

Yes.

> 30. a. Do you find yourself thinking spontaneously in your conlang?

No.

>    b. Are such thoughts often full sentences rather than single
>    words or short phrases?

N/A

>    c. Are they usually grammatical (as you intend your conlang to
>    work)?

N/A

> 31. a. Can you think in your conlang, without deliberately constructing
>    sentences word by word?

No.

>    b. Are such thoughts usually grammatical (as you intend your
>    conlang to work)?

N/A

> 32. a. Have you ever dreamed in your conlang?

No (but often gone to bed thinking through some obscure
grammatical/phonological point!)

>    b. Did the speech or writing in your conlang from the dream turn out,
>    when remembered on waking, to be grammatical and/or meaningful?

N/A

> 33. Can you read aloud at conversational speed from text written in
>    your conlang?

Yes.

> 34. Can you speak spontaneously in your conlang at conversational
>    speed?  If native speakers of your conlang existed, could they
>    understand your pronunciation?

Spontaneous speech - No.
Native speaker comprehension - ask them!

> 35. If you have recorded speech in your conlang, have you been able to
>    understand it in real time when played back a considerable time
>    after you spoke and recorded it?

N/A

> 36. If you are fluent in your conlang only when speaking or writing
>    about certain subjects, what are those subjects?

N/A/

> 37. Have you found anyone willing to learn your conlang and speak it
>    with you, or correspond with you in it?  If so, please describe
>    the experience.

No.

> 38. a. What methods have you used to study your conlang and improve your
>    fluency in it?
>    b. Which have you found most effective?

Books.

> 39. How do you do most of the primary work on your conlang?  In your
>    head, writing stuff down later if at all, or on paper with
>    pencil/pen, or with a voice recording/playback system, or at a
>    computer, or...?

Computer, pen & paper.

> 40. Have you made significant changes in your conlang due to your
>    experience using it?  In what way?

No.

> 41. Has your more or less fluent use of the language changed its
>    phonology, grammar or semantics in ways you did not consciously
>    intend?  Have you, for instance, changed the description of the
>    language's grammar based on the way you've noticed that you
>    actually use it, or changed a word's lexicon entry when you
>    realized you were using it in a different sense than the way you
>    originally defined it?

No.

> 42. Has your developing fluency in your conlang slowed down its rate
>    of change?  Have you refrained from making changes in the language
>    that you would otherwise make because they would require
>    re-learning words or structures you already use fluently?

No.
Consveratism is tempting, but I prefer 'accuracy' (in terms of the design
parameters). I'm actually starting over agian almost from scratch for that
very reason!

> 43. Has your handwriting in your conlang changed as you became more
>    fluent in it?  In what way?

No.

> 44. Has your fluency in your conlang influenced the way you speak your
>    native language, or other languages you are fluent in?

No.

> 45. Is there anything else you would like to add?

No.