CONLANG  January 2008, Week 3

CONLANG January 2008, Week 3

Re: Conlang fluency survey

caeruleancentaur <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:48:51 -0000

>Peter Collier <petecollier@...> wrote:
>Subject: Conlang fluency survey

>01a. What is your name (or online handle)?

Charlie Brickner

>  b. May I quote you by name or handle in an article or talk about
>    conlang fluency?

Yes

>  c. If not, may I quote you anonymously?

N/A

>02a. What is your preferred email address (if not the address you
>    are sending the survey response from)?

This one

>   b. May I contact you with follow-up questions?

Yes

>03. Do you have a website relating to your constructed language(s)?
>    If so, what is its URL?

Only on Frathwiki: wiki.frath.net/senjecas

>04. a. How old are you?

67

>    b. How old were you when you first started creating languages?

About 40.

>    c. How old were you when you first attained significant fluency
>        in (one of) your constructed language(s)?

N/A

>05. Are you male or female?

Male

>06. a. What is your nationality?

USA

>    b. Where do you live now?

Commonwealth of Virginia

>    c. Where were your ancestors from?

Paternal: Scotland & Cornwall; maternal: Sicily & Baden

>07. What is/are your native language(s)?

English

>08. What natural languages other than your native one(s) have you
>    studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

College credit: 15 hours in Spanish; 6 in French; 6 in Italian; 6 in
German; 6 in Latin; 3 in Attic Greek; 6 in Biblical Greek; 6 in
Biblical Hebrew.
Speak Spanish relatively fluently. Can read French, Italian,
Portuguese, some Latin, Greek, Hebrew, & German.

>09. What constructed languages created by other people have you
>    studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

None.

> 10. What is your level of education?  What is/was/will be your major
>    or specialization?

Diploma in nursing; B.A. in biology (minor in Spanish); B.A. in
English (minor in philosophy); M.A. in theology; M.A. in comparative
religions.

>11. What is (was/probably will be) your trade or profession?

Catholic priest

>12. Do you work part time? full time?  Are you a student or retired?

Full time

>13. a. What is your (approximate) income?

In 2007 $21,350.

>    b. What was your family's approximate income when you were a
>     child?

I do not know.

>14. Are you single, married, divorced, widowed, remarried...?

Single

>15. a. What is your religion, if any?

Catholic

>    b. What was your religious upbringing, if any?

Catholic

>16. Are there other facts about yourself that you think might be
>    relevant?

No

> == Part B: The nature of your conlang. ==
>
>17. What is the name of your primary conlang (the one you have
>    invested the most effort in or are most fluent in)?

Senjecas

>18. What are the basic purpose(s) and design goals of your
conlang?

My entertainment

>Is it associated with an imagined world or culture?  Yes.

>If so, are the speakers human?  Yes (plus dwarves, elves, etc.)

>19. Is your conlang a priori (devised from scratch) or a posteriori
(based on a specific natural language or language family), or a mix
of a priori and a posteriori elements?

a posteriori

>20. Describe the typology of your conlang - what is its primary word
>    order (SVO, SOV, VSO...; pre- or postpositional; etc.)?

SOV

>Is it isolating, agglutinating, fusional, polysynthetic?

Isolating, but nouns are declined.

>Is its case or word order system primarily accusative, ergative,
active, other...?

Accusative.

>21. a. How extensive or complete do you consider your conlang to be
>(in grammar and vocabulary)?

Grammar is complete, which does not preclude further developments.
Vocabulary contains 2000+ words.  With their derivations, the
vocabulary is about 5000+.

>b. If you are not yet fluent in it, do you consider the language
>complete enough for fluency to be attainable, or would it need
>considerably more development for that to be possible?

Complete enough for fluency.

>22. Does your conlang have features that might be expected to make
>it especially difficult for speakers of your native language?

Not grammatically, perhaps phonetically.  A few phonemes not found in
English: /m_0/ /l_d_0)/ /r_0/ /j_0/.  Tones are phonemic.

> 23. Does your conlang have possibly unnatural features that might be
>    expected to make fluency difficult or impossible for humans?

No.

> == Part C: Fluency in your conlang. ==
>
>24. a. Do you intend to become fluent in your conlang, or did you
when you started creating it?

No & no.

>    b. If not, did you find yourself becoming fluent as an unexpected
>    result of developing and using it?

No.

>25. If you intend to become fluent in your conlang, what are your
>    goals or purposes for learning it?

N/A

>26. What do you use (or intend to use) your conlang for?
>    i. Writing the grammar or lexicon of the conlang itself?
>    k. Anything else?

Entertainment in developing the language; part of setting for
conculture.

>27. Can you write original text in your conlang, at least on some
>    subjects, without looking up words or grammatical structures?

No

>28. Can you compose well-formed sentences in your conlang about as
>    fast as you can handwrite or type?

No.

>29. Can you read text you wrote some time ago in your conlang
>without looking up words in the lexicon or pausing to consciously
>parse or translate it?

Yes.

>30. a. Do you find yourself thinking spontaneously in your conlang?

No.

>    b. Are such thoughts often full sentences rather than single
>    words or short phrases?

N/A

>    c. Are they usually grammatical (as you intend your conlang to
>    work)?

N/A

>31. a. Can you think in your conlang, without deliberately
>constructing sentences word by word?

No.

>    b. Are such thoughts usually grammatical (as you intend your
>    conlang to work)?

N/A

>32. a. Have you ever dreamed in your conlang?

No

>    b. Did the speech or writing in your conlang from the dream turn
>out, when remembered on waking, to be grammatical and/or meaningful?

N/A

>33. Can you read aloud at conversational speed from text written in
>    your conlang?

Yes.

>34. Can you speak spontaneously in your conlang at conversational
>    speed?  If native speakers of your conlang existed, could they
>    understand your pronunciation?

Spontaneous speech: no.
Native speaker comprehension: I'd like to think so.

>35. If you have recorded speech in your conlang, have you been able
>to understand it in real time when played back a considerable time
>after you spoke and recorded it?

N/A

>36. If you are fluent in your conlang only when speaking or writing
>    about certain subjects, what are those subjects?

N/A/

>37. Have you found anyone willing to learn your conlang and speak it
>    with you, or correspond with you in it?  If so, please describe
>    the experience.

No.

>38. a. What methods have you used to study your conlang and improve
>your fluency in it?

sites on line.

>39. How do you do most of the primary work on your conlang?

Computer, pencil & paper.

>40. Have you made significant changes in your conlang due to your
>    experience using it?  In what way?

No.

>41. Has your more or less fluent use of the language changed its
>    phonology, grammar or semantics in ways you did not consciously
>    intend?  Have you, for instance, changed the description of the
>    language's grammar based on the way you've noticed that you
>    actually use it, or changed a word's lexicon entry when you
>    realized you were using it in a different sense than the way you
>    originally defined it?

No.

>42. Has your developing fluency in your conlang slowed down its rate
>    of change?  Have you refrained from making changes in the
>    language that you would otherwise make because they would require
>    re-learning words or structures you already use fluently?

No.

>43. Has your handwriting in your conlang changed as you became more
>    fluent in it?  In what way?

N/A

> 44. Has your fluency in your conlang influenced the way you speak
>     your native language, or other languages you are fluent in?

No.

> 45. Is there anything else you would like to add?

No.

--- End forwarded message ---