CONLANG  January 2008, Week 3

CONLANG January 2008, Week 3

Re: Conlang fluency survey

GV Pieterson <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:04:54 -0500

>== Part A: Personal and demographic data.  ==
>
>01. a. What is your name (or online handle)?

G.V. Pieterson (or something like it)

>    b. May I quote you by name or handle in an article or talk about
>    conlang fluency?

yes

>    c. If not, may I quote you anonymously?
>
>02. a. What is your preferred email address (if not the address you
>    are sending the survey response from)?
>    b. May I contact you with follow-up questions?

yes

>03. Do you have a website relating to your constructed language(s)?
>    If so, what is its URL?

pieterson.atspace.com (though a bit outdated at the moment)

>04. a. How old are you?

22

>    b. How old were you when you first started creating languages?

17 or 18

>    c. How old were you when you first attained significant fluency
>        in (one of) your constructed language(s)?

I still haven't

>05. Are you male or female?

male

>06. a. What is your nationality?
>    b. Where do you live now?
>    c. Where were your ancestors from?

Dutch, Netherlands

>07. What is/are your native language(s)?

Dutch

>08. What natural languages other than your native one(s) have you
>    studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

I once tried Spanish and gave up, and I just started Icelandic and Japanese;
not fluent at all in any of these langs.

>09. What constructed languages created by other people have you
>    studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

none

>10. What is your level of education?  What is/was/will be your major
>    or specialization?

Bachelor business intelligence (if that's the correct English term)

>11. What is (was/probably will be) your trade or profession?

Not sure yet, perhaps consultancy or market research

>12. Do you work part time? full time?  Are you a student or retired?

Student

>13. a. What is your (approximate) income?

N/a

>    b. What was your family's approximate income when you were a
>     child?

I don't know; average, maybe below average

>14. Are you single, married, divorced, widowed, remarried...?

Single

>15. a. What is your religion, if any?

None

>    b. What was your religious upbringing, if any?

Protestant Christian

>16. Are there other facts about yourself that you think might be
>    relevant?

Don't think so

>== Part B: The nature of your conlang. ==
>
>If you have devised more than one conlang, please focus in these
>questions on those you are most (nearly) fluent in.
>
>17. What is the name of your primary conlang (the one you have
>    invested the most effort in or are most fluent in)?

Neimalu

>18. What are the basic purpose(s) and design goals of your conlang?  Is
>    it associated with an imagined world or culture?  If so, are the
>    speakers human?

As a child I once had a secret script (for my own world made of Lego :) )
but to prevent it from being decyphered I made up different words for
often-used words. When I rediscovered this a few years ago, I came up with
the idea to just create a whole new language, but I no longer have an
associated world or culture  it's just a private language now.

I like the vocabulary to be small to make learning easier. New words are
compounds whenever possible.

>19. Is your conlang a priori (devised from scratch) or a posteriori
>    (based on a specific natural language or language family), or a mix
>    of a priori and a posteriori elements?

Mostly a priori, but with influences from many languages (when I see a
language feature I like, I just copy it)

>20. Describe the typology of your conlang - what is its primary word
>    order (SVO, SOV, VSO...; pre- or postpositional; etc.)?  Is it
>    isolating, agglutinating, fusional, polysynthetic?  Is its case or
>    word order system primarily accusative, ergative, active,
>    other...?

Mostly SOV, prepositional, fusional, accusative

>21. a. How extensive or complete do you consider your conlang to be (in
>    grammar and vocabulary)?

Grammar is good enough, but may need some work in the future. The vocabulary
is still quite small (over 2800 entries including derivations).

>    b. If you are not yet fluent in it, do you consider the language
>    complete enough for fluency to be attainable, or would it need
>    considerably more development for that to be possible?

It's good enough for simple texts/conversations, but it needs expanding.

>22. Does your conlang have features that might be expected to make it
>    especially difficult for speakers of your native language?

Perhaps phonetically, /T/, /D/ and /Z/ may be difficult for some. Grammar
should not give too many problems.

>23. Does your conlang have possibly unnatural features that might be
>    expected to make fluency difficult or impossible for humans?

No

>== Part C: Fluency in your conlang. ==
>
>24. a. Do you intend to become fluent in your conlang, or did you when
>    you started creating it?

Yes

>    b. If not, did you find yourself becoming fluent as an unexpected
>    result of developing and using it?

N/a

>25. If you intend to become fluent in your conlang, what are your
>    goals or purposes for learning it?

Not sure, maybe teach it to someone else?

>26. What do you use (or intend to use) your conlang for?
>    a. Prayer?
No

>    b. Meditation?
Not likely

>    c. Thinking?
Intend to

>    d. Taking notes in the course of study?
Perhaps

>    e. Writing notes to yourself (grocery lists, etc.)?
I try to and intend to

>    f. Writing a diary?
Yes

>    g. Writing poetry or other literature?
Maybe

>    h. Singing?
No

>    i. Writing the grammar or lexicon of the conlang itself?
No

>    j. Pretending in public that you are a native speaker
>        of your conlang?
Good idea, I might try that

>    k. Anything else?
Possibly

>27. Can you write original text in your conlang, at least on some
>    subjects, without looking up words or grammatical structures?

Very limited

>28. Can you compose well-formed sentences in your conlang about as
>    fast as you can handwrite or type?

No

>29. Can you read text you wrote some time ago in your conlang without
>    looking up words in the lexicon or pausing to consciously parse or
>    translate it?

No

>30. a. Do you find yourself thinking spontaneously in your conlang?

No

>    b. Are such thoughts often full sentences rather than single
>    words or short phrases?
>    c. Are they usually grammatical (as you intend your conlang to
>    work)?

N/a

>31. a. Can you think in your conlang, without deliberately constructing
>    sentences word by word?
>    b. Are such thoughts usually grammatical (as you intend your
>    conlang to work)?

No, I usually only know some basic words; I think word by word, placing the
words in wrong parts of the sentence.

>32. a. Have you ever dreamed in your conlang?
>    b. Did the speech or writing in your conlang from the dream turn out,
>    when remembered on waking, to be grammatical and/or meaningful?

No, but I dreamt about Siling Dilai once, whatever that might mean.

>33. Can you read aloud at conversational speed from text written in
>    your conlang?

Usually yes, but long compounds are hard and I often misplace stress.

>34. Can you speak spontaneously in your conlang at conversational
>    speed?  If native speakers of your conlang existed, could they
>    understand your pronunciation?

No, yes

>35. If you have recorded speech in your conlang, have you been able to
>    understand it in real time when played back a considerable time
>    after you spoke and recorded it?

I did record something, just to hear the sound of the language. I probably
won't understand what I say if I'd try.

>36. If you are fluent in your conlang only when speaking or writing
>    about certain subjects, what are those subjects?

N/a

>37. Have you found anyone willing to learn your conlang and speak it
>    with you, or correspond with you in it?  If so, please describe
>    the experience.

No

>38. a. What methods have you used to study your conlang and improve your
>    fluency in it?
>    b. Which have you found most effective?

I translate texts and thus learn by using the language.

>39. How do you do most of the primary work on your conlang?  In your
>    head, writing stuff down later if at all, or on paper with
>    pencil/pen, or with a voice recording/playback system, or at a
>    computer, or...?

I do my work at my computer and sometimes I make notes on paper when I can't
sleep

>40. Have you made significant changes in your conlang due to your
>    experience using it?  In what way?

Yes, I have restarted my language from scratch, keeping some of the vocab,
after that I changed the phonology a couple of times.

>41. Has your more or less fluent use of the language changed its
>    phonology, grammar or semantics in ways you did not consciously
>    intend?  Have you, for instance, changed the description of the
>    language's grammar based on the way you've noticed that you
>    actually use it, or changed a word's lexicon entry when you
>    realized you were using it in a different sense than the way you
>    originally defined it?

Yes, I didn't distinguish between /x/ and /h/, so I deleted /h/.

>42. Has your developing fluency in your conlang slowed down its rate
>    of change?  Have you refrained from making changes in the language
>    that you would otherwise make because they would require
>    re-learning words or structures you already use fluently?

I don't want to change too much

>43. Has your handwriting in your conlang changed as you became more
>    fluent in it?  In what way?

No

>44. Has your fluency in your conlang influenced the way you speak your
>    native language, or other languages you are fluent in?

No

>45. Is there anything else you would like to add?

No