CONLANG  January 2008, Week 3

CONLANG January 2008, Week 3

Re: Conlang fluency survey

andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:23:32 +1300

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Jim Henry wrote:

> == Part A: Personal and demographic data.  ==
>
> 01. a. What is your name (or online handle)?

Andrew Smith

>     b. May I quote you by name or handle in an article or talk about
>     conlang fluency?
Yes

>     c. If not, may I quote you anonymously?
>
> 02. a. What is your preferred email address (if not the address you
>     are sending the survey response from)?
As above in From: box
>     b. May I contact you with follow-up questions?

Yes

http://hobbit.griffler.co.nz/introduction.html
http://wiki.frath.net/Zelandish

> 04. a. How old are you?
42

>     b. How old were you when you first started creating languages?
14

>     c. How old were you when you first attained significant fluency
>         in (one of) your constructed language(s)?

Within the last ten years.

> 05. Are you male or female?

Male

> 06. a. What is your nationality?
New Zealander

>     b. Where do you live now?
Dunedin, New Zealand

>     c. Where were your ancestors from?

England/Scotland

> 07. What is/are your native language(s)?

English

> 08. What natural languages other than your native one(s) have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

French -- High School level; Maori -- Polytechnic night classes;
Biblical Hebrew -- University level; Old English -- University level,
including reading Beowulf from the original language.  Nothing to the
level of conversational fluency

> 09. What constructed languages created by other people have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?

None seriously

> 10. What is your level of education?  What is/was/will be your major
>     or specialization?

Bachalor of Art majoring in English

> 11. What is (was/probably will be) your trade or profession?

Archivist

> 12. Do you work part time? full time?  Are you a student or retired?

30hrs/wk

> 13. a. What is your (approximate) income?
NZ$20K

>     b. What was your family's approximate income when you were a
>      child?

unknown

> 14. Are you single, married, divorced, widowed, remarried...?

Single

> 15. a. What is your religion, if any?
Christian -- Presbyterian

>     b. What was your religious upbringing, if any?

same as 15.a.

> 16. Are there other facts about yourself that you think might be
>     relevant?

No

> == Part B: The nature of your conlang. ==
>
> If you have devised more than one conlang, please focus in these
> questions on those you are most (nearly) fluent in.
>
> 17. What is the name of your primary conlang (the one you have
>     invested the most effort in or are most fluent in)?

Brithenig

> 18. What are the basic purpose(s) and design goals of your conlang?
To create a language that could have existed, a romance language
influenced by Welsh soundchanges.

> Is it associated with an imagined world or culture?
Yes, Ill Bethisad, which has become a shared world project.

> If so, are the
> speakers human?
Yes

> 19. Is your conlang a priori (devised from scratch) or a posteriori
>     (based on a specific natural language or language family), or a
> mix of a priori and a posteriori elements?

a posteriori

> 20. Describe the typology of your conlang - what is its primary word
>     order (SVO, SOV, VSO...; pre- or postpositional; etc.)?  Is it
>     isolating, agglutinating, fusional, polysynthetic?  Is its case
> or word order system primarily accusative, ergative, active,
> other...?

hmmm, SVO prepositional, accusative: Synthetically romance

> 21. a. How extensive or complete do you consider your conlang to be
> (in grammar and vocabulary)?
Several thousand words, without systematic lexicon creation; the grammar
will probably not be amended to a major degree

>     b. If you are not yet fluent in it, do you consider the language
>     complete enough for fluency to be attainable, or would it need
>     considerably more development for that to be possible?

Fluency is attainable, although still patchy

> 22. Does your conlang have features that might be expected to make it
>     especially difficult for speakers of your native language?

Initial mutations, vague number marking

> 23. Does your conlang have possibly unnatural features that might be
>     expected to make fluency difficult or impossible for humans?

No

> == Part C: Fluency in your conlang. ==
>
> 24. a. Do you intend to become fluent in your conlang, or did you
> when you started creating it?
Yes

>     b. If not, did you find yourself becoming fluent as an unexpected
>     result of developing and using it?
>
> 25. If you intend to become fluent in your conlang, what are your
>     goals or purposes for learning it?

To create and describe it as a living language

> 26. What do you use (or intend to use) your conlang for?
>     a. Prayer?
Not primarily, although I have formulated petitions in Brithenig

>     b. Meditation?
As I consider meditation to be non-verbal I regard that there is a
degree of contradiction here, unless you include chanted tools for
meditation -- in which case, no.

>     c. Thinking?
Similar to 26.a.

>     d. Taking notes in the course of study?
No.

>     e. Writing notes to yourself (grocery lists, etc.)?
No.

>     f. Writing a diary?
Brithenig, no; Zelandish, yes, which is another story.

>     g. Writing poetry or other literature?
I have not attempted original writings.

>     h. Singing?
Beyond my abilities I'm afraid.

>     i. Writing the grammar or lexicon of the conlang itself?
No.

>     j. Pretending in public that you are a native speaker
>         of your conlang?
I'm tempted to try that on a telemarketer, but I haven't yet.

>     k. Anything else?

No.

> 27. Can you write original text in your conlang, at least on some
>     subjects, without looking up words or grammatical structures?

Yes, within limitations

> 28. Can you compose well-formed sentences in your conlang about as
>     fast as you can handwrite or type?
No.

> 29. Can you read text you wrote some time ago in your conlang without
>     looking up words in the lexicon or pausing to consciously parse
> or translate it?

No.  I discovered this when a text was cited on the Omniglot blog.

> 30. a. Do you find yourself thinking spontaneously in your conlang?
No.

>     b. Are such thoughts often full sentences rather than single
>     words or short phrases?
short phrases

>     c. Are they usually grammatical (as you intend your conlang to
>     work)?
No, I usually think of the word and then apply the initial mutation if
necessary

> 31. a. Can you think in your conlang, without deliberately
> constructing sentences word by word?
No.

>     b. Are such thoughts usually grammatical (as you intend your
>     conlang to work)?
As above in 30.

> 32. a. Have you ever dreamed in your conlang?
No.

>     b. Did the speech or writing in your conlang from the dream turn
> out, when remembered on waking, to be grammatical and/or meaningful?
>
> 33. Can you read aloud at conversational speed from text written in
>     your conlang?

unknown

> 34. Can you speak spontaneously in your conlang at conversational
>     speed?
No
>     If native speakers of your conlang existed, could they
>     understand your pronunciation?

I would have an accent.

> 35. If you have recorded speech in your conlang, have you been able
> to understand it in real time when played back a considerable time
> after you spoke and recorded it?

Not attempted

> 36. If you are fluent in your conlang only when speaking or writing
>     about certain subjects, what are those subjects?

General these subjects are texts that I'm working on for translation and
the subject matter can be varied.

> 37. Have you found anyone willing to learn your conlang and speak it
>     with you, or correspond with you in it?  If so, please describe
>     the experience.

There have been a couple of enquiries to learn Brithenig although I have
not followed up on it.  One or two members of the Society of Ill
Bethisad can read texts or suggest neologisms.

> 38. a. What methods have you used to study your conlang and improve
> your fluency in it?
Practice at translation.

>     b. Which have you found most effective?
>
> 39. How do you do most of the primary work on your conlang?  In your
>     head, writing stuff down later if at all, or on paper with
>     pencil/pen, or with a voice recording/playback system, or at a
>     computer, or...?

Writing stuff down generally on computer.

> 40. Have you made significant changes in your conlang due to your
>     experience using it?  In what way?

I don't think I have made significant changes to it.

> 41. Has your more or less fluent use of the language changed its
>     phonology, grammar or semantics in ways you did not consciously
>     intend?  Have you, for instance, changed the description of the
>     language's grammar based on the way you've noticed that you
>     actually use it, or changed a word's lexicon entry when you
>     realized you were using it in a different sense than the way you
>     originally defined it?
No.

> 42. Has your developing fluency in your conlang slowed down its rate
>     of change?  Have you refrained from making changes in the
> language that you would otherwise make because they would require
> re-learning words or structures you already use fluently?

No.

> 43. Has your handwriting in your conlang changed as you became more
>     fluent in it?  In what way?

No.

> 44. Has your fluency in your conlang influenced the way you speak
> your native language, or other languages you are fluent in?

No.

> 45. Is there anything else you would like to add?

Good luck!