CONLANG  January 2008, Week 3

CONLANG January 2008, Week 3

Re: Conlang fluency survey

Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:05:25 -0600

Jim Henry wrote:

> == Part A: Personal and demographic data.  ==
>
> 01. a. What is your name (or online handle)?
Herman Miller

>     b. May I quote you by name or handle in an article or talk about
>     conlang fluency?
Yes

>     c. If not, may I quote you anonymously?
>
> 02. a. What is your preferred email address (if not the address you
>     are sending the survey response from)?
>     b. May I contact you with follow-up questions?
Yes

http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/index.html

> 04. a. How old are you?
43

>     b. How old were you when you first started creating languages?
Around 15

>     c. How old were you when you first attained significant fluency
>         in (one of) your constructed language(s)?
I haven't really had any significant degree of fluency in any of my
languages, although I knew Olaetian reasonably well. I would have been
around 20 or so.

> 05. Are you male or female?
Male

> 06. a. What is your nationality?
US

>     b. Where do you live now?
Minnesota

>     c. Where were your ancestors from?
England, Ireland, Germany, and various other places.

> 07. What is/are your native language(s)?
English

> 08. What natural languages other than your native one(s) have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?
French - 2 years (can read some)
Spanish - 2 years (can read some)
German - 2 years (can read a little bit)
Russian - 2 years
Chinese - 1 term (1/3 of a year)
I've tried teaching myself various other languages, mainly Japanese, but
also Serbo-Croatian and Dutch. I haven't been fluent in any of them.

> 09. What constructed languages created by other people have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?
I've learned enough Esperanto to read simple texts; I've also studied
Klingon and Lojban.

> 10. What is your level of education?  What is/was/will be your major
>     or specialization?
Bachelor of science in computer science

> 11. What is (was/probably will be) your trade or profession?
Software engineer in the computer/video game industry

> 12. Do you work part time? full time?  Are you a student or retired?
I work full time.

> 13. a. What is your (approximate) income?
>     b. What was your family's approximate income when you were a
>      child?
>
> 14. Are you single, married, divorced, widowed, remarried...?
Single.

> 15. a. What is your religion, if any?
None (agnostic).

>     b. What was your religious upbringing, if any?
Protestant (Methodist)

> 16. Are there other facts about yourself that you think might be
>     relevant?
>
> == Part B: The nature of your conlang. ==
>
> If you have devised more than one conlang, please focus in these
> questions on those you are most (nearly) fluent in.
>
> 17. What is the name of your primary conlang (the one you have
>     invested the most effort in or are most fluent in)?
I've had various primary conlangs over time. Minza, my current main
language, is not one that I ever intended to become fluent in. The
closest I've come to being fluent in a conlang was with Olaetian, when
that was one of a small number of fictional languages I had that was in
a reasonably advanced state of development.

> 18. What are the basic purpose(s) and design goals of your conlang?  Is
>     it associated with an imagined world or culture?  If so, are the
>     speakers human?
Minza is atypical of my languages in general, which are mainly
associated with fictional cultures (mostly in a fictional world).
Olaetian and many of my earlier languages were spoken by humans, but
there are no humans in my most recent world (Azir).

> 19. Is your conlang a priori (devised from scratch) or a posteriori
>     (based on a specific natural language or language family), or a mix
>     of a priori and a posteriori elements?
My fictional languages (including Olaetian) are a priori, and Minza in
turn is based on those.

> 20. Describe the typology of your conlang - what is its primary word
>     order (SVO, SOV, VSO...; pre- or postpositional; etc.)?  Is it
>     isolating, agglutinating, fusional, polysynthetic?  Is its case or
>     word order system primarily accusative, ergative, active,
>     other...?
Olaetian (as the language I came closest to being fluent in, although
I've forgotten most of it by now) is typically SVO, prepositional,
fusional, and accusative. Much like the languages I was studying at the
time (Spanish and French). Minza, on the other hand, is VOS,
prepositional, mildly agglutinative, and ergative.

> 21. a. How extensive or complete do you consider your conlang to be (in
>     grammar and vocabulary)?
Olaetian had a moderately extensive grammar (around 30 pages) and a
vocabulary of some 3,000 words.

>     b. If you are not yet fluent in it, do you consider the language
>     complete enough for fluency to be attainable, or would it need
>     considerably more development for that to be possible?
None of my languages are really well enough documented for that.

> 22. Does your conlang have features that might be expected to make it
>     especially difficult for speakers of your native language?
Olaetian wasn't especially difficult, although it did have a few sounds
that would be unfamiliar to English speakers, including unrounded back
vowels and a distinction between apical and laminal fricatives.

> 23. Does your conlang have possibly unnatural features that might be
>     expected to make fluency difficult or impossible for humans?
No.

> == Part C: Fluency in your conlang. ==
>
> 24. a. Do you intend to become fluent in your conlang, or did you when
>     you started creating it?
Olaetian just grew from a small collection of words to a full-fledged
language; there wasn't any time when I set out to become fluent. I
haven't ever had fluency as a specific goal of my languages.

>     b. If not, did you find yourself becoming fluent as an unexpected
>     result of developing and using it?
>
> 25. If you intend to become fluent in your conlang, what are your
>     goals or purposes for learning it?
>
> 26. What do you use (or intend to use) your conlang for?
>     a. Prayer?
>     b. Meditation?
>     c. Thinking?
>     d. Taking notes in the course of study?
>     e. Writing notes to yourself (grocery lists, etc.)?
>     f. Writing a diary?
>     g. Writing poetry or other literature?
>     h. Singing?
>     i. Writing the grammar or lexicon of the conlang itself?
>     j. Pretending in public that you are a native speaker
>         of your conlang?
>     k. Anything else?
Olaetian has been used for writing stories (of a sort -- a few
paragraphs at the most) and occasionally translations of things I'd
written in English (mostly relating to the world where Olaetian was
spoken). I've written grocery lists in Sarbleski, and I had a sort of
diary written in Iftinas for a while. Tirelat and Minza have been used
in translation relays.

> 27. Can you write original text in your conlang, at least on some
>     subjects, without looking up words or grammatical structures?
I could do that with Olaetian back when I was using it.

> 28. Can you compose well-formed sentences in your conlang about as
>     fast as you can handwrite or type?
I used to be able to do that with Olaetian.

> 29. Can you read text you wrote some time ago in your conlang without
>     looking up words in the lexicon or pausing to consciously parse or
>     translate it?
I just looked at some old text in Olaetian that I haven't looked at for
years. I could still understand most of it, including some facts that
I'd forgotten (the world has changed quite a bit from when I wrote those
things). But there are parts I'd have to look up to be sure of.

The impression I get, after all these years, is that the way I was using
Olaetian in these oldest bits of text wasn't much different from
English, and the parts that were different are quite a bit like Spanish
or French.

> 30. a. Do you find yourself thinking spontaneously in your conlang?
>     b. Are such thoughts often full sentences rather than single
>     words or short phrases?
>     c. Are they usually grammatical (as you intend your conlang to
>     work)?
I don't think in any of my languages, unless you count Sarbleski (which
is more a set of words and phrases than a fully developed language).

> 31. a. Can you think in your conlang, without deliberately constructing
>     sentences word by word?
>     b. Are such thoughts usually grammatical (as you intend your
>     conlang to work)?
No.

> 32. a. Have you ever dreamed in your conlang?
>     b. Did the speech or writing in your conlang from the dream turn out,
>     when remembered on waking, to be grammatical and/or meaningful?
I've had many conlang-related dreams, but not specifically with any of
the actual conlangs that I've worked on.

> 33. Can you read aloud at conversational speed from text written in
>     your conlang?
Yes.

> 34. Can you speak spontaneously in your conlang at conversational
>     speed?  If native speakers of your conlang existed, could they
>     understand your pronunciation?
I don't know any of my languages well enough to speak at conversational
speed. I try to be careful with my pronunciation, but I'm sure that I
speak with an accent.

> 35. If you have recorded speech in your conlang, have you been able to
>     understand it in real time when played back a considerable time
>     after you spoke and recorded it?
I recognize enough to know what text it is that I recorded. I can
recognize and understand many of the words, but it could be that I just
remember the text.

> 36. If you are fluent in your conlang only when speaking or writing
>     about certain subjects, what are those subjects?
>
> 37. Have you found anyone willing to learn your conlang and speak it
>     with you, or correspond with you in it?  If so, please describe
>     the experience.
>
> 38. a. What methods have you used to study your conlang and improve your
>     fluency in it?
>     b. Which have you found most effective?
>
> 39. How do you do most of the primary work on your conlang?  In your
>     head, writing stuff down later if at all, or on paper with
>     pencil/pen, or with a voice recording/playback system, or at a
>     computer, or...?
I did most of Olaetian, especially in the early days, with hand-written
notes, although some of it was typed. I started using the computer to
manage my dictionary when it got too cumbersome to update by hand. It
wasn't until the late 1980's - early 1990's that I switched to mainly
using the computer for developing languages.