CONLANG  January 2008, Week 3

CONLANG January 2008, Week 3

Re: Conlang fluency survey

"David J. Peterson" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:06:09 -0800

> == Part A: Personal and demographic data.  ==
>
> 01. a. What is your name (or online handle)?
David J. Peterson
>     b. May I quote you by name or handle in an article or talk about
>     conlang fluency?
Yes.
>     c. If not, may I quote you anonymously?
Additionally, yes.  (Maybe you don't want to use my name!)

> 02. a. What is your preferred email address (if not the address you
>     are sending the survey response from)?
The one I'm sending from is fine.
>     b. May I contact you with follow-up questions?
Yes.

http://dedalvs.free.fr/

> 04. a. How old are you?
27 on Jan. 20
>     b. How old were you when you first started creating languages?
20
>     c. How old were you when you first attained significant fluency
>         in (one of) your constructed language(s)?
N/A (not significantly fluent in any)

> 05. Are you male or female?
Male

> 06. a. What is your nationality?
US citizen
>     b. Where do you live now?
Southern California
>     c. Where were your ancestors from?
Mexico (and before that, Spain)

> 07. What is/are your native language(s)?
English and Spanish

> 08. What natural languages other than your native one(s) have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?
French (read well; speak so-so); German (read poorly; speak poorly);
ASL (can get by); Russian (read poorly; speak poorly); Middle Egyptian
(read poorly); Latin (read poorly); Arabic (read poorly; speak
poorlier);
Esperanto (read well; speak poorly); Moro (speak poorly).  English and
Spanish are native or near-native.

> 09. What constructed languages created by other people have you
>     studied?  What degree of fluency have you attained in them?
Aside from Esperanto, the language I know best is Skerre, by Doug Ball.
I'm familiar with it; not fluent.

> 10. What is your level of education?  What is/was/will be your major
>     or specialization?
BA English and Linguistics; MA Linguistics.

> 11. What is (was/probably will be) your trade or profession?
Education (English professor).

> 12. Do you work part time? full time?  Are you a student or retired?
Part time.

> 13. a. What is your (approximate) income?
I'll send this to you privately.
>     b. What was your family's approximate income when you were a
>      child?
Child?  $30,000?

> 14. Are you single, married, divorced, widowed, remarried...?
Affianced.  (Marrying in June.)

> 15. a. What is your religion, if any?
I'll send this to you privately.
>     b. What was your religious upbringing, if any?
Christian (protestant).

> 16. Are there other facts about yourself that you think might be
>     relevant?
I'm a very slow reader.

> == Part B: The nature of your conlang. ==
>
> If you have devised more than one conlang, please focus in these
> questions on those you are most (nearly) fluent in.
>
> 17. What is the name of your primary conlang (the one you have
>     invested the most effort in or are most fluent in)?
Kamakawi.

> 18. What are the basic purpose(s) and design goals of your
> conlang?  Is
>     it associated with an imagined world or culture?  If so, are the
>     speakers human?
The speakers are human, but are themselves poorly supposed.  It's
intended to be a realistic language.

> 19. Is your conlang a priori (devised from scratch) or a posteriori
>     (based on a specific natural language or language family), or a
> mix
>     of a priori and a posteriori elements?
A priori (with borrowings from other a priori conlangs).

> 20. Describe the typology of your conlang - what is its primary word
>     order (SVO, SOV, VSO...; pre- or postpositional; etc.)?  Is it
>     isolating, agglutinating, fusional, polysynthetic?  Is its case or
>     word order system primarily accusative, ergative, active,
>     other...?
VSO, prepositional, semi-inflectional, though tending towards isolating,
accusative, "has" "case", adjectives follow the noun, relative
clauses follow
the noun they modify--generally, specifiers precede heads.

> 21. a. How extensive or complete do you consider your conlang to be
> (in
>     grammar and vocabulary)?
The grammar is complete enough to write in; informal conversational
elements (or just dialog) are not complete.  The vocabulary is large,
though
not complete.

>     b. If you are not yet fluent in it, do you consider the language
>     complete enough for fluency to be attainable, or would it need
>     considerably more development for that to be possible?
This depends more on the definition of "fluent".  I'm fluent in NFL
penalty
signals, but it's not a language, and not very large, so it's not
that difficult.
It's possible to be fluent in what I've got in Kamakawi.  Whether
*that* is
sufficient enough to do X task depends on the task.  For translation
of a
complex text?  Probably not; probably not enough specialized vocabulary.
For conversation?  Probably not; I haven't done enough with
conversation.
For simple texts?  Yes.

> 22. Does your conlang have features that might be expected to make it
>     especially difficult for speakers of your native language?
No.  (Or, not to my knowledge.)

> 23. Does your conlang have possibly unnatural features that might be
>     expected to make fluency difficult or impossible for humans?
The human mind is capable of quite a bit.  I doubt there's much it can't
handle.

> == Part C: Fluency in your conlang. ==
>
> 24. a. Do you intend to become fluent in your conlang, or did you when
>     you started creating it?
When I started, no.  I think I might like to be some day.

>     b. If not, did you find yourself becoming fluent as an unexpected
>     result of developing and using it?
Familiar is the word I would prefer.  I'm as familiar with Kamakawi as
I am with my respiratory system.  Can I explain how my respiratory
system works, though, or know exactly what to do to fix it at all times?
No.  It's kind of similar with Kamakawi.

> 25. If you intend to become fluent in your conlang, what are your
>     goals or purposes for learning it?
I'd like to be able to write in it.

> 26. What do you use (or intend to use) your conlang for?
>     a. Prayer?
No.
>     b. Meditation?
No.
>     c. Thinking?
No.
>     d. Taking notes in the course of study?
No.
>     e. Writing notes to yourself (grocery lists, etc.)?
Maybe (though then I'd have to learn the writing system!).
>     f. Writing a diary?
No.
>     g. Writing poetry or other literature?
Yes.
>     h. Singing?
Maybe.
>     i. Writing the grammar or lexicon of the conlang itself?
That might be fun.
>     j. Pretending in public that you are a native speaker
>         of your conlang?
No.
>     k. Anything else?
It would make the things I do *in* or *for* the conlang a lot easier.
I wouldn't have to hunt for words when coming up with examples
on my website, for example.  When I'm creating an image in the
script, I wouldn't have to look up which symbol stood for what.
This is primarily how becoming fluent would be useful to me.

> 27. Can you write original text in your conlang, at least on some
>     subjects, without looking up words or grammatical structures?
It's the nouns and verbs.  I can't write at length because I don't have
an inventory of enough nouns and verbs.  If I were allowed to use
variables, I could write at some length, because the grammar is second-
nature.

> 28. Can you compose well-formed sentences in your conlang about as
>     fast as you can handwrite or type?
Oh, yes, provided I can think of the nouns and verbs...

> 29. Can you read text you wrote some time ago in your conlang without
>     looking up words in the lexicon or pausing to consciously parse or
>     translate it?
I may not remember the nouns and verbs.  (See the pattern?)

> 30. a. Do you find yourself thinking spontaneously in your conlang?
No.
>     b. Are such thoughts often full sentences rather than single
>     words or short phrases?
N/A
>     c. Are they usually grammatical (as you intend your conlang to
>     work)?
N/A

> 31. a. Can you think in your conlang, without deliberately
> constructing
>     sentences word by word?
No.
>     b. Are such thoughts usually grammatical (as you intend your
>     conlang to work)?
N/A

> 32. a. Have you ever dreamed in your conlang?
Not in it, but about it (and featuring it).

>     b. Did the speech or writing in your conlang from the dream
> turn out,
>     when remembered on waking, to be grammatical and/or meaningful?
I couldn't remember it.  :(

> 33. Can you read aloud at conversational speed from text written in
>     your conlang?
Absolutely not.  Just this one, though.  I can read other languages of
mine very, very quickly--many with non-English phones and which
are far, far less complete.  It's just this particular one I have a
very hard
time with.

> 34. Can you speak spontaneously in your conlang at conversational
>     speed?  If native speakers of your conlang existed, could they
>     understand your pronunciation?
No.

> 35. If you have recorded speech in your conlang, have you been able to
>     understand it in real time when played back a considerable time
>     after you spoke and recorded it?
N/A (I think)

> 36. If you are fluent in your conlang only when speaking or writing
>     about certain subjects, what are those subjects?
Heh, heh...  I can talk about eating fish, and about language!  Ka mata
ei i nawa poke kala tou!  (= I saw a fish that can talk!)

> 37. Have you found anyone willing to learn your conlang and speak it
>     with you, or correspond with you in it?  If so, please describe
>     the experience.
Yes, but it didn't last.  (Things get busy, you know.)  I was
grateful for it,
though, because I was able to spot a bit of grammar that I'd just never
thought of.

> 38. a. What methods have you used to study your conlang and improve
> your
>     fluency in it?
I have a TY Hawaiian book, and what I do is do the exercises in
Hawaiian,
and then in Kamakawi.  I stopped because the book is TERRIBLE, and I
just
couldn't continue (I mean, this book doesn't see it as important to
mark the
long vowels in Hawaiian!  I mean, come on!)

>     b. Which have you found most effective?
When I was doing this with a Turkish book and Zhyler, I found it very
effective.  (That was a good Turkish book, though.)

> 39. How do you do most of the primary work on your conlang?  In your
>     head, writing stuff down later if at all, or on paper with
>     pencil/pen, or with a voice recording/playback system, or at a
>     computer, or...?
I'd usually start it in class, and then I'd start sketching out the
phonology,
and then I'd think of a word, and try to put it in sentences.  Once I
get
back home, it's all on computer.  I use the Mac equivalent of a Word
document (different program), and start writing up a dictionary.  Most
of the grammar is in my end, and doesn't end up on paper (which is not
ideal, I recognize).  A lot of the details get hammered out when I add
sections to my website.

> 40. Have you made significant changes in your conlang due to your
>     experience using it?  In what way?
In this case, yes--especially when I found that bit of grammar I'd
forgotten
to touch.

> 41. Has your more or less fluent use of the language changed its
>     phonology, grammar or semantics in ways you did not consciously
>     intend?  Have you, for instance, changed the description of the
>     language's grammar based on the way you've noticed that you
>     actually use it, or changed a word's lexicon entry when you
>     realized you were using it in a different sense than the way you
>     originally defined it?
Yes.  I changed the relative clauses significantly.  I had to.  I
also came up
with a phonological rule that I never myself use...  Not sure if that
means
I should change it, though.

> 42. Has your developing fluency in your conlang slowed down its rate
>     of change?  Have you refrained from making changes in the language
>     that you would otherwise make because they would require
>     re-learning words or structures you already use fluently?
No.  If it needs changing, I change it.

> 43. Has your handwriting in your conlang changed as you became more
>     fluent in it?  In what way?
Not really applicable for this language.  Of interest to this
question, though,
is my extensive use of my first orthography to write English.  As I
used it,
I found it necessary to change it a LOT.  It was inspired by Arabic's
orthography,
and some of the letters are created weren't practical when written at
speed,
because of how I had to go back and add dots, etc., and failure to do
so made
the word illegible.  Through writing, I streamlined the system, and
changed
many of the characters to work better.

> 44. Has your fluency in your conlang influenced the way you speak your
>     native language, or other languages you are fluent in?
I hope not, or I'll never be fluent in Hawaiian!

> 45. Is there anything else you would like to add?
Nothing I can think of.

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.free.fr/