CONLANG  February 2008, Week 4

CONLANG February 2008, Week 4

Re: Langmaker and FrathWiki (was Re: Wikipedia:Verifiability - Mailing lists as sources)

Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:39:01 -0800

On 2/28/08, John Vertical <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The actual documentation doesn't really need a "critical mass", only the
> efforts of the creator...

Sorry for being unclear. I was referring only to *sites/projects*
needing a critical mass of *people*.

> (You do talk about this stuff on the ZBB too, do you? I haven't visited
> there in a while.)

Honestly? Not nearly as often.

> I don't really see the logic in cataloging all scribbled-up stubs of a
> language on FrathWiki at LangMaker, either. You wouldn't want my
> grammar-less phonology sketches polluting the list, would you? :)

Why not? So long as they are properly categorized *as* sketches, and
we have some more refined lists of essentially the "most notable"
conlangs being referred to in main articles.

But I see no harm in including everything if it's handled right.

The only issue  I see is that you might have name collisions, as Rick
pointed out, but this can be handled with disambiguation pages. I
don't believe there are really likely to be a large enough number that
this would cause a problem normally.

On 2/28/08, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> What you say is Good and True, *except* that both Langmaker
> and FrathWiki have been around for years, and merging them
> and/or start a new site which would wholly or partly
> replace them would require the agreement and cooperation of
> a lot of people -- essentially everybody who have ever
> contributed to either of the existing sites --,

Why?

As far as I can tell, it would require the cooperation of a) the
siteops and b) a handful of people dedicated enough to do the work.
IME it's usually <6 people total who do the majority of it.

Then you just point people to the new place of their content
(hopefully with all previous links automagically redirecting one
there) and they can keep working on it as ever, 'cept now with a bit
more colocation and better indexing. (Content you can't find isn't
useful content.)

> If the old sites still exist there
> will inevitably come people along and add content to them
> being unaware of the new site.

If the old sites still exist (as other than redirects), than it was a
'port not a merge. I'm only recommending an actual merge.

> If enough people are
> interested in doing such a projectI might definitely open
> conlang.se for it.

And I think we could do e.g. wiki.conlang.org.

Though again there's nothing to prevent multipe names for the same thing.

> But what to call it, as Conlang Wiki is
> already taken. Conlang index?

Would Conlang Wiki join in the merge? (I see no reason not to...)

If yes why not just keep it called that? Seems the simplest possible name.

On 2/28/08, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Or conlang.org since I see Sai owns it.

I don't - David G. Durand does. But he has kindly offered to transfer
it to the Language Creation Society once we get fully tax-exempt.

> Is it possible to have subdomains of the same domain on different servers?

Absolutely.

On 2/28/08, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Whereas if they're in the same place, all languages could more readily
> > get the a good, thorough treatment.
>
> But will they?

I didn't say "will", I said "[can] more readily". :-P

Of course not everything will get covered. The question is just which
is *more likely* to get it done.

> It would indeed be nice to have encyclopedic articles on conlangs
> written by someone else than the authors of the languages; Wikipedia
> frowns on articles people write about their own projects for good
> reasons. The problem, of course, is that with many conlangs, the
> author is the only one who knows the language well enough to write
> an encyclopedic article on it :) However, if the language is
> published, one can use the published material as source material
> for a third-party article.

Not necessarily.

The author is indeed (usually) the only one able to write Grammar and
Vocab pages (and certainly Purpose).

But anyone who reads *those* (i.e. the primary sources) can write an
encyclopedic aritcle.

And sometimes third parties can look at the author's grammar and
correct them - e.g. it's been mentioned to me more than once that
sometimes people will claim that their language does x when if you
look at the corpus it clearly doesn't, or at least that that is a very
tenuous analysis compared to some other one. IMO that's valuable
feedback for a conlanger to get.

> > And that's the other reason not to separate it. If it's all in one
> > place, then you can much more easily get the critical mass (as it
> > were) of people needed to make it self-sustaining. If it's separated,
> > then it gets too fragile and dependent on individuals who will
> > inevitably get overwhelmed by other things in life from time to time.
>
> I don't see how a merger will change this.

Psychology.

Essentially people have a (soft) limit to the number of entities they
can viably contribute to. When it's scattered, those are all
individual separate things.

You won't get as many people working on site A and site B as on
section A and section B of the same site - even if A & B are
functionally identical.

Plus there's overhead - crosslinking, maintaining cross-site
consistency, duplication of information, etc etc.

I've suggested ways in which merger would be beneficial.

Can you suggest ways in which keeping them separate would be beneficial?

> What makes sense to me is to start with Langmaker, turn it
> into a collaborative project,

It is - it's a wiki. A poorly maintained one.

> and add more information (such as typological data)

Like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Infobox_language

- Sai