Monospaced Font

CONLANG  March 2008, Week 1

CONLANG March 2008, Week 1

Re: [BoD] [CONLANG] LCS benefits, was Re: [CONLANG] Conlang hosting

"David J. Peterson" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Mar 2008 04:25:08 -0800

Sai:
<<
That would, indeed, be neat. I share the frustration with the current
state of academic publishing being nearly-unreachable to individuals.

This *could* happen once we have ongoing memberships, but it'll depend
a great deal on how many members we have, and how many of them care
enough about this. Think of it simply as distributed cost. Is it
worth, say, $5 to 300 people? $10 to 150 people? $20 to 75 people?

As Paul pointed out, if you have institutional affiliation even by
proxy - say, a friend still there or an alumni membership - you can
get access. And there are some PDFs available online; sometimes
directly from the authors. (This is how I do it, since graduating
UCB.)

Indeed, we can't afford that (nowhere near), but it would be
fantastic, and, I think, something that just about every conlanger
would find useful (those that don't might not know what it is,
and might find it useful once it was explained). I think it's
something we should consider when our financial situation
improves.

As a general comment about finding stuff, I've often used
scholar.google.com and regular google in tandem. For example,
I was searching for a paper I really wanted to read on scholar,
but it was only on JSTOR. I searched just for the title on google,
and someone somewhere had put it up. Huzzah!

-David

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.free.fr/