CONLANG  April 2008, Week 4

CONLANG April 2008, Week 4

Re: German T/V distinction (was Re: Is the list dead?)

"Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:22:54 -0400

Why do we call this a "T/V" distinction?  <French tu/vous? Can't be
<Latin since it didn't have a formality distinction in the 2nd person
pronouns....

It still cracks me up that Latin American parents refer to their
toddlers collectively as "your graces". :)

Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>