I have some questions about the scheduling of residents in academic emergency departments.
1) How many site coordinators do the actual scheduling of residents (versus chief residents making the schedule)?
2) For those who make the schedule (or for those who don't, but are aware of the intimacies of the schedule), how many shifts are scheduled per 4-week period or month for each resident?
3) Do the numbers change depending on how many residents are scheduled for the month or do shifts go uncovered if there are fewer residents?
4) How long are the usual shifts?
5) Are the numbers of shifts or length of shifts different for pediatric versus emergency medicine versus family practice residents?
Thanks in advance.
Adam Silverman, MD
CCMC Emergency Department Residency and Medical Student Site Coordinator
Morbidity and Mortality Coordinator
Assistant Professor of Pediatric Emergency Medicine and Pediatric Critical Care
Connecticut Children's Medical Center
282 Washington Street
Hartford, CT 06106
For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: