Re: biblFull or biblStruct

Michelle Dalmau <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 May 2008 20:16:20 -0400

Hi all,

I apologize for not chiming in sooner ...

The metadata mapping work, I believe, falls nicely under the Libraries
SIG purview, and we are engaging in
some of this work as it relates to the overhaul/update we are doing to
the "TEI Text Encoding in Libraries
Guidelines for Best Encoding Practices" (http://www.diglib.org/standards/tei.htm
).  Currently, we have a team of two
folks, Kevin Hawkins from Michigan and Melanie Schlosser from Ohio
State University, working on documenting best
practices for the TEI Header including referencing other metadata
formats such as MARC.  The SIG has also discussed
amassing documentation, tools, etc. related to mapping, crosswalks and
so on from the Header to MODS, DC and other
formats.

Also, we are not assuming that the TEI Header should be treated only
as the derivative bibliographic format
for Digital Library-related projects.  Often, we are creating "hand-
tailored" metadata, perhaps not for printed texts with
MARC records, though this is not entirely true such as the case with
serials, but for manuscripts, legal and
administrative documents, and other text documents often encoded in
the library context.  We are trying to
make sure we cover as many scenarios as possible when updating the TEI
Header section of the "Guidelines
for Best Encoding Practices" document.

Recently, Matt Gibson from University of Virginia and I co-chaired a
joint DLF TEI Task force and Libraries SIG meeting that was
hosted by the Digital Library Federation during their Spring Forum in
Minneapolis.  I will soon be posting a summary
of the meeting and meeting minutes for public review and feedback.
The Libraries SIG's primary work, as I mentioned earlier, is to
update the TEI Text Encoding Guidelines and migrate the Guidelines
under the custodianship of the SIG.
We will be forming working groups around this initiative for broader
contributions because we need help too.  Perhaps we can
expand the scope of the "TEI Header" group to also tackle greater
metadata issues.  However, if a specialized SIG forms, which
is also an option as already proposed, then the Libraries SIG and this
new SIG should make a point to stay abreast of each other's
work to minimize possible redundancies.

While here, I also wanted to comment on the original biblStruct v.
biblFull post as it relates to bibliographic metadata for serials.
At Indiana University, we just launched a TEI-encoded 102-year run of
a scholarly journal, the Indiana Magazine of History,
and we encountered a few challenges in representing article-level (and
even more granular-level metadata for book reviews)
using the TEI.  Our issues are probably complementary to Oliver's
struggle especially if we want to capture robust bibliographic
metadata using the TEI.  For us, it was important to have an
authoritative form (TEI) of both the document markup and the metadata.
Because we used P4, we solved this by using the TEI Independent Header
to capture granular metadata although, based on an informal
survey we circulated, the Independent Header is more commonly used to
capture series-level metadata.

Capturing metadata for serials made it as an agenda item at the last
TEI Members' Meeting, but
we didn't have enough time to explore all the issues.  I suspect this
topic will eventually surface for discussion, as it has here, via the
list or in future meetings.

So stay tuned for the meeting summary update and the working groups
that will emerge to meet some immediate goals identified
by the Libraries SIG including the Header best practices
documentation.  Perhaps we can cultivate synergies or expand working
groups
to take on a greater scope.

--Michelle, Chair of the Libraries SIG