TEI-GRAPHICS-SIG June 2008

Re: TEI and polygons

Martin Holmes <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:55:08 -0700

Hi there,

This is something we've faced in our markup project, Mariage.UVic.Ca,
and which I've been thinking about a lot for the Image Markup Tool
(which also only handles rectangles). However, it may not be as much of
a problem as you think. It turns out that a rectangle that outlines the
polygon you want to focus on is perfectly acceptable for most purposes
(identifying the zone for the reader, distinguishing the zone from other
zones, and so on). It's also the case that most of our projects end up
being rendered for Web browsers at some point, and most reliable methods
of outlining areas on a Web browser depend (for the moment) on HTML
block-level elements which are also rectangular. So in most projects, it
turns out not to be such a big issue to stick to rectangles.

However, for one project where we absolutely did require polygons (a
map-based project, where we had to outline roads, buildings etc.), we
used Inkscape to generate SVG files with polygon shapes. You can then
embed the SVG into a TEI file. Roma allows you to generate a schema that
will allow SVG 1.1 content inside a TEI document. Inkscape is
open-source and multi-platform, and I'd heartily recommend it.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Holmes