Help for BIKE-TO-BROWN Archives

BIKE-TO-BROWN Archives

BIKE-TO-BROWN@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

BIKE-TO-BROWN Home

BIKE-TO-BROWN  July 2008

BIKE-TO-BROWN July 2008

Re: [Bike Providence] Now if we could just get IKEA in Providence!

"Williams, Geoffrey" <[log in to unmask]>

Williams, Geoffrey

Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:29:59 -0400

Tim,

Mark and everyone's suggestions are bang on.  I'd like to add one or two
bits to the mix.

I would like to add one of the most classic manners for hauling stuff.
Rear bike rack with a nice Milk crate attached to it (heavy duty zip
ties or metal band clamps are best.  Then you can just plunk what ever
it is you want in there.  If you have some delicate tomatoes or some
fresh eggs you don't want bouncing around too much on these salt flat
smooth roads around Providence, put a sweater or some soft cushy bit of
clothing under them.  Nothing says this bike is the ultimate car
replacement than a milk crate on a rear rack.

But that said...
The effectiveness and efficiency of each option depends greatly on what
type of bike you are riding.

Messenger bag works best for "racing" style riding positions.  They are
most functional when your back angle is leaning forward and the bag and
the weight is resting on the hips as they were designed.  The single
strap is for ease of getting on and off.  If your riding position is
more up right the single strap will (or can) really mess up your spinal
alignment if you carry more than the weight of the bag in it.  If you
are upright a backpack with the dual straps will likely be more
comfortable.

Front baskets are the flat out coolest accessory you can add to a
cruiser style bike.  And for good reason, on an upright mellow not so
fast moving cruiser bike the added weight on the front isn't noticed as
much as a "racing" style bike.  Newer Mt bikes, Road and
Cyclocross/Touring bikes handle bars often make it a challenge to mount
a front basket.

On full on racing bikes (road or mt) the next best choice after a
messenger bag is a seatpost mounted rack.  I know quite a few long haul
commuters that use these with great success.  They come in different
styles and some even have nice bags that are already attached.  If your
seat angle is too relaxed (tilted back to the rear wheel) it might not
be terribly effective.

If your bike has spots to bolt a rack on, then I would suggest getting a
nice rack and just sticking it on.  They make decent metal fold flat
type baskets for the rear rack that will hold a standard size paper (or
nice fancy Re-Bag) grocery bag.  When empty they just fold flat, when
you need them pop em open and stick what ya need in there.

The ultimate option is really a BOB trailer.  Nice streamlined cargo
trailer, just as wide as you on the bike, one wheel in the back.  Rolls
great, attaches easily.  And can carry a whole heck of a lot of stuff.

As for Ikea in Providence.  There is NO WAY I want to be hauling their
flatpack stuff up and down the east side hills ;)

Geoff Williams
Leduc Bioimaging Facility Manager
Brown University

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/Leduc_Bioimaging_Facility/