Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  July 2008, Week 2

AUXLANG July 2008, Week 2

Re: "Artificial" prejudice (< your mail)

Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:00:49 -0400

> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MacLeod Dave

> > Nobody's saying that learning another language wouldn't be
of
> > some benefit.  But in the ideal future where an auxlang is
> > learned by *everyone* it will mean that there is no use for
> > other languages because it will be the common denominator
that
> > anyone can use to communicate with anyone else.
>
> I just gave a number of examples where it's not the case. Even
when an
> IAL has been established as the mode of communication between
people
> that can't otherwise communicate, it doesn't follow that
knowing
> another language will cease to become valuable. Not every
sign, every
> tv show, every street conversation, every blog post, every
piece of
> news will be translated into the IAL.

I didn't say the existing languages wouldn't be useful, just
unnecessary.  Eventually the IAL population will grow to a
position of influence which will erode away the local languages.
It won't happen overnight, and some will probably have some sort
of preservationist movement to try and keep them alive, but
there will be an effect similar to that of colonial languages
overrunning the indigenous languages in America or Australia.

> > Yes, there are a few minority languages making small
temporary
> > comebacks as the result of the current trend of passing
feelgood
> > legislation for appease minority groups, even though it
further
> > isolates them from the mainstream.  So Welsh gains a few
> > speakers, but how many are monoglots?  There was a time when
the
> > British Isles were Celtic speaking, and now the English is
the
> > only language that truly matters there.  I could still go to
> > Wales and get by very well without knowing a single word of
> > Welsh because even the Welsh speak English.  There are also
> > preservationist movements for North American languages too,
but
> > I don't see Lakota or Navaho going much past the
reservation,
> > and there is still the fact that even the Lakota or Navaho
> > speakers are bilingual in English.
> >
> That does nothing to refute any of the points I made in the
previous
> post. The cannibalistic language theory is shown to be very
flawed in
> the resurgence of languages like Welsh, Irish, Hebrew (from
nothing!),
> and so on. I already made the point that large languages
actually have
> _more_ governmental support than small languages, so the blame
can't
> be laid there either.

Hebrew really didn't grow from nothing.  It still had a life as
a liturgical language.  Without a government to back it though
it would still probably be nothing more than the language
reglious tradition.

> And if the answer to this is well, Welsh has resurged because
of
> cultural reasons and Hebrew because of religious reasons, then
it begs
> the question that what point does this cannibalistic language
theory
> serve if it gets tossed to the side every time there's any
sort of
> exception to the rule? Perhaps I'll make up a sunny day theory
in the
> same vein. My theory is that every day is sunny. If it rains
I'll just
> say it was because there was so much moisture, so _of course_
it
> rained. Every other time though I'm correct.

The exceptions are temporary.  Even long-term trends will have
small swings in the other direction.

> > Not everyone is a language geek.  If Interlingua becomes a
world
> > language, they'll learn it for the benefits it offers.  A
lot of
> > people learn French, Spanish and other Romance languages
without
> > ever taking any interest in Latin.  They learn them so they
can
> > converse with the people that speak those languages.  How
many
> > people speak Latin any more?  I recently read something
where
> > it's losing favor even in the Catholic Church. Latin,
however
> > did cannibalize a lot of languages during its time, but its
own
> > demise was that it spread out too much and fragmented into
too
> > many dialects which are now languages in their own right,
some
> > more popular than Latin ever was.
> >

> Once again, I addressed this in the post before. I said
nothing about
> becoming a 'language geek', whatever that is. Don't forget
that
> bilingualism (at least) is the norm for most of the world, and
has
> nothing to do with geekiness. People that know a second
language are
> more predisposed towards learning others, that's a fact. Add
an extra
> billion IAL speakers and you will also have an extra one or
two
> hundred million people that will now be interested in and now
studying
> other languages. There's no logic to the supposition that an
IAL will
> somehow result in the demise of other languages when the
numbers show
> that only the opposite is true.

No, but you say that Interlingua could create an interest in
Latin.  I'm saying that hasn'
t been the case with Romance languages.  Yes, there are a few
linguistics enthusiasts that will follow that path, but don't
expect it to go beyond that.  Those people that know two or more
languages already usually know them out of necessity, not any
particular interest in the subject.  It's true that knowing more
than one makes it easier to learn another, and another, but that
doesn't mean they will want to learn any more.

> I'm not sure where you read that it's losing favour in the
Catholic
> Church. They just brought back the Latin mass, since last
month the
> Vatican's home page is now available in Latin. Where is it
losing
> favour?

I was reading an article somewhere claiming that Latin wasn't
being learned by some, and is being used less and less within
the church.  I wouldn't count mass as "usage", since that's just
part of the show.  I didn't say it was dead, just waning.