Re: my summer commute

"Rogers, Donald" <[log in to unmask]>

Rogers, Donald

Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:22:14 -0400

Thanks, Nancy! It's so great to hear that you've really enjoyed your
riding and made it part of your day in such an integrated way. That's
one of the best parts about transportation riding to me.

Sorry I don't know much about the Washington Bike Path, but hopefully
someone will pitch in.

Enjoy!

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Brown University Bicycle Commuting List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Baker, Nancy
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BIKE-TO-BROWN] my summer commute

Hi everyone,

Way back in the spring I had asked here for the best way to bike from
Kennedy Plaza to Brown and had gotten lots of helpful answers. This is
what I ended up doing; going in I'd wear my street clothes and bike 5
minutes to the bus stop, then get a second bus up to Hope St and ride
over to my office. Which all turned out to be very easy and I only had
to leave home 10 minutes earlier than I would have driving.(!)

Going home I'd change into bike clothes (full clown suite). I've got a
trunk on the hybrid bike that I use for commuting and also wore a light
backpack. My route home was Davol Square, Allens Ave, Narragansett Pkwy,
through Governor Francis Farms, short hop on Warwick Ave sidewalk, left
onto Westshore Rd, right onto Sandy Ln, right onto Strawberry Field Rd,
left onto Airport Rd, cross Main Ave and into my neighborhood. I think
it's about 15 mi, a nice distance for coming home in the afternoon,
usually  twice a week, I do fair weather only, 4 day summer schedule at
work.

I'm glad to say that Allens Ave was not the mess I thought it would be,
nothing the hybrid couldn't handle easily. And people, for the most part
were very courteous and friendly, waving and BACKING UP EVEN when they
thought they might be in my way coming out of a side street onto the
shoulder! (it musta been the clown suite)

I've been getting home by 6:00 (fat tires slow) and hope to continue
this until the evening light fails me.

Does anyone from my area use the Washington County Path,  I'm wondering
how the ride is from Allens Ave over to it? And if this is even more
roundabout than Westshore Rd?  I could get off it in West Warwick and
take Rt 115 home, but would have to go through the dreaded Appanoaug.

We sure could use bike lanes on Warwick Ave, Oxapawtuxett (sp?)and Post
Rds!!! The airport is almost impossible to bike around.

Hope I haven't been too long and rambly, just wanted to share some good
news, the East Bay route sounds like it's been awful.

Nancy

Bike to Brown discussion list:
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/bike-to-brown.html

Bike to Brown website: http://biketobrown.brown.edu/