CONLANG  August 2008, Week 2

CONLANG August 2008, Week 2

Re: Linguistic term for ease of changing word-class (was: 'out-' affix in conlangs?)

John Vertical <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:08:33 -0400

>> > <Liase> is quite interesting, since <-on> isn't (AFAIK) a
>> > derivational affix in English, such that it could be removed
>> > from the word, the way that <-ance> is. I guess that's
>> > similar to <-aholic> from <alcoholic>. I am trying to think
>> > of other examples of that same thing happening, but they
>> > aren't coming to me.
>>
>> These come to my mind:
>> hamburger > cheeseburger (named after the German city
>> Cheeseburg) execute > electrocute
>
>Or "-gate" (< Watergate) for scandals like "Billygate" or
>"Contragate".

Slang seems to have aplenty of these, too. "-licious", "-rrific", "-tard" etc.

Language Log has most likely covered this phenomenon in English sometime...

John Vertical