CONLANG  August 2008, Week 2

CONLANG August 2008, Week 2

Re: 'out-' affix in conlangs?

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:35:35 -0400

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:21:08 -0400, John Vertical <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Old English did not palatalize before rounded front vowels.
>[kYn] > [kIn]
>[kIn] > [tSIn]

Is that so?  I thought that the palatalisation completed before the
i-affectation that gave rise to [Y], so what we're seeing here was more or less
[kuni] > [kuni] > [kyni] > [kyn]
[kini] > [tSini] > [tSini] > [tSin]
(no idea if those are protoforms of real words).

Alex