CONLANG  August 2008, Week 3

CONLANG August 2008, Week 3

Re: USAGE: Esperanto for "run away"

caeruleancentaur <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:30:03 -0000

> "Mark J. Reed" <markjreed@...> wrote:
>
> ObConlang: How would you translate "run far away"/"run (away) to a
far
> place" in your CL? I'm trying to capture the "run" sense literally,
> not just the sense of "run away" = "flee".

Senjecas has a non-derivative adjective 'pis' = away, absent.  An
intensifier 'kel-' is prefixed to mean 'far,' 'kelpis,' far away.
The derivative adverbs are 'pu' and 'kelpu.'

There are derivative postpositions 'pa' and 'kelpa,' (far) away
from.

There is also a derivative interjection 'ap,' begone, clear off,
clear out! jheres ap! = hands off! (Interjections receive the high
pitch on the ultimate.)

To run = tsrsa.  Thus, 'to run (far) away' would be '(kel)pu
tsrsa.'  This verb denotes running as opposed to walking, hopping,
etc.

If I wanted to stress flight, I would use the verb 'vga,' to flee.

But: nus nkwam na klu e-vga, she fled far into the night.

Thanks for the exercise.

Charlie