CONLANG  August 2008, Week 3

CONLANG August 2008, Week 3

Re: Phonology - Allophone presentation?

ROGER MILLS <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:43:43 -0400

Aidan Grey wrote:

>Okay, if I understand you right, the standard practice is to include all
>possible phones, so that the list will include both /i/ and /I/  from my
>example. Then in the chunk on allophony, I can explain details.
>
>I am trying to do something fairly standard in the description, and by
>standard I mean what linguists do with real world languages here. As a
>phonologist, you're the ideal person to know this, Dirk!

Dirk is right-on.  But the question arises: are you proposing an analysis of
English? or a new conlang. For Engl. it would be _possible_ but somewhat
obtuse to propose that [i ~ I] are allophones conditioned by the
presence/absence of a following double cons.  But for some other language or
a conlang, it might be a valid approach, if the pronounciation of /sin:/ is
actually [sIn:].