CONLANG  August 2008, Week 3

CONLANG August 2008, Week 3

Re: Linguistic term for ease of changing word-class (was: 'out-' affix in conlangs?)

Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:19:13 -0400

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Lars Finsen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You mean, you need to express whether the wars are against clones, between
> clones, concerning clones, including clones or whatever?

Yes, exactly.

> Maybe a point worth considering for naturalistic artlangs as well. But no
> natlang or naturalistic artlang will have much trouble expressing the above,
> with prepositions and/or case-endings. In Urianian, zirgi klonet = wars
> against clones, with an accusative plural, zirgi klonan = wars between/of
> clones, with the genitive plural, zirgi klonant = wars concerning/for
> clones, with a dative plural, and zirgi klonit = wars including/with clones,
> with an instrumental plural.

Cool.

I think the relationship here is pretty much instrumental, but I haven't
seen episodes I-III recently or often (maybe I've deliberately blocked
things out :) and this latest movie dives in in media res without
going into the causes of the war.  It could be the use of clones
is one of the issues the war is being fought over, but I don't
remember for sure.  I think the semantic relationship here
is more like what we see in English "trench warfare", "nuclear
warfare" etc. -- the war is named for its unusual feature of
being fought with clone soldiers.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/