Re: Why RNG instead of DTD?

Richard Light <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:00:20 +0000

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Wendell Piez
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>DTDs still work well enough to be ubiquitous in certain environments
>where they always worked well. There, the best reason to use them is
>probably "if it ain't broke", etc.; underlying this is the (not
>inconsiderable) migration costs, given that DTDs and document sets are
>still evolving together, and projects find it hard to freeze even one
>or the other (and certainly not both) long enough to redesign and retool.

All of which having been said, I would like to register a metaphorical
vote against the idea of dropping support for DTDs from TEI, which was
an item at the bottom of the list of things to consider for 2009 in the
Member Meeting this morning.

Richard
--
Richard Light