AUXLANG November 2008, Week 3

Re: what language for me

steve rice <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:53:25 -0800

--- On Mon, 11/17/08, Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  My only objection to the above is that ido rather is
> between Esperanto
> and Occidental. One can talk about a continuum lookint like
> this:
> Esperanto, Ido, Occidental (also called Interlingue),
> Novial. And I
> would place interlingua somewhat aside.

I'd order them as Esperanto, Ido, Novial, Occidental, Interlingua. Ido's a better introduction to Esperanto than to Interlingua, but it introduces a lot of Romance vocabulary that can help with Occ and Ia. Also, he mentioned wanting something to help him get a better grasp of English grammar, and Ido's probably the best for that. Ideally, he should go on to learn Ia or Occ later, and if he truly does learn Ido, I think he will continue: it's the first foreign language that's the hardest, so once he knows he can learn another language, he'll be encouraged to keep going.

Actually, Eo helped me a lot because it taught me adjective-noun agreement and the accusative, both of which improved my grasp of several IE languages.

Steve