NY Times talks hip bike stuff

Michael McKeown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:16:13 -0400

--============_-972231118==_ma============

Well, the NY Times has relegated some of us to being the bike dorks
we are.  But we can still try for hipness for only ~$1500 for a new
old style bike and, of course, suitably hip clothes. (The BtoB
listserver rejected the picture I tried to attach, you'll just have
to see the article to get up to speed on the new fashions).

Mike

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/fashion/16CODES.html?pagewanted=1&8dpc&_r=1

This new It object is the glossy black Dutch bicycle, its design
unchanged since World War II. Increasingly imported to the United
States and starting to be seen on the streets of New York (and in the
windows of at least one clothing store), it appears to have
everything a good craze needs. That includes a hefty price tag -
usually between $1,000 and $2,000 - and a charming back story about
how the bikes have been an indispensable part of the picturesque
Dutch cityscape for decades.

But can New York revert to New Amsterdam? Can the bicycle, the urban
answer to the wild mustang, slow down and put fenders on? Can the
urban cyclist, he of the ragtag renegade clothes or shiny spandex,
grow up and put on a tie?

Serious obstacles stand in the way. Even as bicycle sales and
ridership are up, even as the city becomes more bike friendly than
ever, the extreme poles of bike culture are still in many ways
hostile to biking as it is done in the Netherlands. There, where
riding a bicycle to work in a suit and tie is as notable an act as
drinking a cup of coffee, there is no bike culture - all culture
includes the bike.

--============_-972231118==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
dorks we are.&nbsp; But we can still try for hipness for only ~$1500
for a new old style bike and, of course, suitably hip clothes. (The
BtoB listserver rejected the picture I tried to attach, you'll just
have to see the article to get up to speed on the new fashions).</div>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/fashion/16CODES.html?pagewanted=1<span
is the glossy black Dutch bicycle, its design unchanged since World
War II. Increasingly imported to the United States and starting to be
seen on the streets of New York (and in the windows of at least one
clothing store), it appears to have everything a good craze needs.
That includes a hefty price tag - usually between $1,000 and $2,000
- and a charming back story about how the bikes have been an
indispensable part of the picturesque Dutch cityscape for
decades.</font></div>
revert to New Amsterdam? Can the bicycle, the urban answer to the wild
mustang, slow down and put fenders on? Can the urban cyclist, he of
the ragtag renegade clothes or shiny spandex, grow up and put on a
tie?</font></div>
stand in the way. Even as bicycle sales and ridership are up, even as
the city becomes more bike friendly than ever, the extreme poles of
bike culture are still in many ways hostile to biking as it is done in
the Netherlands. There, where riding a bicycle to work in a suit and
tie is as notable an act as drinking a cup of coffee, there is no bike
culture - all culture includes the bike.</font></div>

Bike to Brown discussion list:
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/bike-to-brown.html

Bike to Brown website:
http://biketobrown.brown.edu/