CONLANG  April 2009, Week 2

CONLANG April 2009, Week 2

Re: Conlang text anthology?

Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:09:31 -0400

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Sai Emrys <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think (with my organizational hat on) that people would be more
> interested in seeing fully original works - that is, original stories
> or poems in the author's own conlang.

Indeed, that would be my primary interest as a
customer buying such an anthology.

> I see little demand for translations from one conlang into another
> conlang; if I were the editor I would use only the first except with
> very unusual cases (like a Babel Text like thing that everyone does
> and is used as some sort of joining thread throughout).
>
> That might be a nice way to do chapters: 9 chapters (one for each
> verse), with each chapter page led by a translated verse in a conlang
> that somehow exemplifies that chapter's material.

Hmm; not sure how exactly that would work, but
it sounds cool.

> I'm ambivalent about including Relay-type grammar writeups. On the one
> hand, they'd be needed to 'make sense' of it well; on the other,
> they're somewhat cumbersome to give (or to regularize across several
> pieces), and possibly detract from the "pure art" feel. Perhaps they'd
> do well as an appendix? Perhaps something like the left vs right page
> style of some parallel translated/original books?

I think it would be absolutely essential to include
them, but I'm uncommitted to any particular layout
or formatting for them.  Facing pages with text
and grammar/lexicon/commentary sounds nice
in a way, except that for most if not all the pieces
included, the grammar/lexicon/etc. would be
far longer than the text itself, so there would be
an imbalance, with the left-hand pages maybe
being mostly blank...?   Better, perhaps, if you're
concerned about the visual art/poetic appearance
of the conlang texts (many in their own orthographies), to have the
conlang texts in
Part I, and the descriptions of the conlangs plus
lexica focused on the texts in Part II -- with Part II
probably 4-6 times as many pages as Part I.

Again, I think these descriptions should, unlike
most relay minigrammars, include some information
about the orthography and phonology of the
language.  And if possible, the book should
include an audio CD of conlang creators reading
their texts aloud.

At least for the more fusional languages, it
would probably be good to include interlinear
glosses in addition to the pure conlang text
and the minigrammar.

And for an anthology like this, I think my gzb
mini-lexicon would gloss all the words in the
text, not just their component morphemes as
I usually do for relay lexica.

> I've no detailed sense yet about the economics of it, but I'm cynical
> enough to say that you ought not bet on getting anything significant
> out of it financially, 'cause it's rather unlikely to be a Big Seller.

And even if it does sell more copies than we expect,
probably the profits when divided over a large
number of contributors would still be pretty small.

> Separately, I'd still like to do an anthology of meta essays - i.e.
> non-fiction in English that is about conlangs or conlanging from one
> perspective or another, a la Imagining Language et al. Any of you
> interested in contributing to such a book?

Eventually, after I finish my article on conlang
fluency for Rick Harrison's zine, and it appears
in said zine, you could reprint it in said essay
anthology.

I have a vague notion toward a possible essay
or article on conlanging methodologies, but it's
too early to promise anything specific to you
or to Rick for a particular venue.

> Email me (directly or on-list, as you like) what pieces you'd be
> interested in contributing to either the fiction or nonfiction
> anthologies - link, inline, or attach. This email will create no

I've got reams of original writing in gzb, but very
little of it is in electronic form yet, and frankly
most of it is either too private to share or not
good enough to waste other people's time with.
The few pieces I can think of that might be
interesting to other people are:

1. excerpts from less-private passages
of my journal, possibly rewritten and expanded
-- e.g. passages about the planning and
implementing of the Inverse Relay, or about
LCC2? -- or any of several others... (_Walden_
started out as passages in Henry David Thoreau's
journal, expanded and rewritten for greater
connectedness.)   Could be as long or as short
as you have room for.

2. A couple of psalm-pastiches -- not translations
of specific psalms, but original prayer-poems
in the parallelistic style of the psalms.   Around
100-300 words each, I'd guess -- 1-2 handwritten
pages.

And,

> You're welcome to also suggest ideas for pieces that you've not yet
> written but would write if this project goes forward.

3. A few short stories, not finished -- a time travel
story where I started the first draft in gzb and later
rewrote and finished it in English, a fairy tale I started
in gzb and soon got stuck on, and a mainstream
drama which I just recently started in gzb and haven't
finished yet.  The latest one is 8 handwritten
pages so far, around 800-1000 words, and would
probably be 2-5 times that long when finished.

===

We should probably write to other conlangers
not on the list and invite them to contribute
-- perhaps not right away, but after we have
enough momentum going among the list members
that the book looks real enough to bother other
people about.    I'd suggest asking Paul Burgess
for permission to reprint the Mna Sipri Cilama
and more importantly for a minigrammar and
lexicon to go with it; also Sonja Elen Kisa,
Suzette Haden Elgin, Diane Duane, and others
(I think someone mentioned Ursula Le Guin).

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/