CONLANG  April 2009, Week 3

CONLANG April 2009, Week 3

Re: USAGE: Japanese question - parallelism and politesse

Eugene Oh <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Apr 2009 01:36:46 +0100

I think the point that's being made here is, "there is a perfectly cogent
term for what you're trying to express, and the term you've chosen has a
more specific meaning than you intended, so it might be better to use the
commonly accepted one".
Being a linguistics list, it's kind of tough to put our collective foot down
about where the line between descriptive permissiveness and prescriptive
rigour should lie, isn't it? Tristan is making a perfectly legitimate
semantic broadening (which we discuss so often), but should we accept it or
continue to prefer that he use the accepted term?

Either way what's said is said; we know the meaning and motivation, so maybe
w should move on lest it becomes another what-you-said-wasn't-what-I-meant
tussle.

As for the Japanese ha-ba-pa-wa distinction, here's a brief summary:

"Pa" has now disappeared except in onomatopoeia, and where it has been
preserved from lenition by a preceding consonant. E.g. "Happa", "leaves",
which would originally have been "pappa".

I disagree about "pa" leniting to "wa" intervocalically via "ba", however,
because there are native Japanese words that still read with "ba", most
commonly "ba" (place), "beki" (should/ought), etc. I would think the shift
went through the bilabial fricative, first voiceless as happened
unconditionally everywhere else, then voicing intervocalically.
Unfortunately I have no information as to when each stage might have
happened so I can't say whether the Japanese tendency to transliterate [v]
with the ba-bi-bu-be-bo was reinforced by having a bilabial fricative in the
positions where "voiced [p]" should be. Also see "ba" below.

"Ha" can be thought to be the modern reflex of [pa], but since loanwords
were introduced, the complementary distribution has been disrupted somewhat:
mach > [mahha], Bach > [bahha] where the only sound permitted previously
would have been [-ppa]. Onomatopoeia, of course, also contribute to this
phonemicisation, although it's hard to say whether [pitapata] (rain) was
pronounced exactly thus before the lenition too, or whether it ought to
count.

"Ba" is of course how "pa" was pronounced intervocalically in the pre- and
early-modern periods, especially in Sinitic compounds like "fusoku"
(dearth/lack) > "nebusoku" (lack of sleep). Of course, "fusoku" used to be
"pusoku". This is another reason why I disagree that "wa" developed from
"ba", because in that case "ba" would have disappeared along with "pa".

Some interesting grammatical changes: the so-called "Godan" (lit. Five-row)
verbs, so called because their conjugation paradigm uses all five vowels,
used to be Four-row verbs. The volitive, or volitional (depending on who you
read), used to be formed with "-apu". E.g. "kaku" (write) > "kakapu" (let's
write). Lenition: -apu > -aPu > -au > -ou > -o:. Textually attested, and the
modern orthography reflects the last stage but one. Across morpheme
boundaries, however, the vowels stayed distinct - hence "kapu" > "kau"
(buy), and all the other -au verbs in existence today.

Strangely, this separation didn't hold for "-epu" and I have not yet found
out why. "Kepu" (today) > "keu" > "kjo:" and "wepu" (to get drunk) > "eu" >
"jo.u" developed in almost exactly the same way, except for that very final
merger of [ou] into [o:] mentioned in the previous paragraph that happened
rather recently.

Eugene