CONLANG  May 2009, Week 4

CONLANG May 2009, Week 4

Re: artlang advocacy/evangelism

Yahya Abdal-Aziz <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 May 2009 19:40:48 +1000

multipart/alternative (569 lines) , text/plain (6 lines)

Hi, Brett,
(aka <3, mungojelly, aka la stela selckiku, aka
bret-ram, aka Tterb! (*))

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Brett Williams wrote:

> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Sai Emrys wrote:
> > May I suggest you join the Relay list and take part in the upcoming
> > reverse relay (where each person translates *into* the next person's
> > language)?

Yes, a real expert's game!  It's fantastic that anyone
finds enough time to learn other's conlangs well
enough to participate in this.  In chess talk, this would
be Grand Master territory ... and rather frightening to
mere hobby players such as myself!

> I don't have any personal languages anywhere near that developed!
> Actually I didn't have any personal languages alive lately at all,
> until in the past month or so I've been inspired to start this
> language NOIX. NOIX is mostly only written, not pronounced, but for
> convenience the name of the language can be said like French "noix",
> which it somewhat-coincidentally resembles. :)
>
> There are only four letters in NOIX, which are of course O I X and one
> odd one, a letter which is written as an N if it's an odd letter in a
> word but U if it's an even letter (for instance one of my names in the
> language is "NINU")-- this resembles the way the cursive script is
> written, with alternating upturning and downturning letters. Since
> there are only four letters, there's a huge variation in how each
> letter can be written, and I decided to use this space to add another
> level of expression to the language, with different letter forms that
> give different flavors to the words. For instance, X can be written
> as a heart: I very often use hearts when writing the various names of
> my lover, such as "XXOX", and almost always when writing the common
> word "XUO" which means "to think lovingly about". (I invented this
> independently before learning about Deena Larsen's "Rose" script from
> that Not-So-Secret Vice article, which I'd love to draw some
> inspiration from if anyone knows how to contact Deena or if there's
> any more descriptions extant.)

_Love_ to see some images of the cursive script, hearts
and all!  Do you know of any other language (nat- or con-)
with "allographs" for some or all of its graphemes?  I'm not
thinking, here, of the variant cursive styles that school
systems have imposed on kids in the past, such that, eg,
my mother writes "the Victorian r" in place of our standard
"Copperplate" r (I can illustrate this if it's too opaque) -
these are merely _total_ substitutions of one letterform for
another.  Rather, your n and u are two distinct letterforms
in complementary, conditioned distribution; that's what I
mean by "allographs".

> Words of NOIX are chosen randomly with a special twelve sided die I
> made for the purpose (there's just three each of N O I & X) and my
> plan is to allow synonyms to develop randomly as words collide,
> eventually layering the few possible combinations of NOIX's few
> letters with many meanings each. It's meant to be an emotive, vague,
> mysterious, private language for the purpose of journaling and playing
> around with (one of the most common words of NOIX is "XIN", meaning
> many things already, but primarily "to play around with") and not much
> else. So it's not even aimed towards being suitable for translating
> into and out of-- though I guess it would be at least interesting, as
> its strange synonymity would surely produce a bizarre variation in the
> relay text! :)

Vague, mysterious - and it's a language?  I thought
languages were meant as communication tools ;-)
Perhaps what you really need is music - dark,
mysterious chords are just wonderful for sharing those
deep, inchoate feelings and thoughts - and just like a
Rorschach ink blot, or a cloudy sky, or the glowing
coals of a log fire late on a wintry night, you can project
any meaning or image you like onto it.

> I feel like-- in combination with the colorful notebook I've been
> doing the project in (I love notebooks)-- the main inspiration for
> NOIX has been being subscribed to this list lately. Being immersed in
> a conlang environment floods some strange deep mammalian circuitry in
> me with this possibly irrational feeling that creating a private
> language is a sensible way to fit in. I mention that mostly because I
> know it's quite the opposite of the social relationship many or most
> of y'all have to conlanging, so I thought it might be interesting for
> you to know. What's directed my attention to conlanging in the first
> place is something quite different from the urge and pleasure of
> inventing a private language. My interest in constructed language is
> mostly very social and collaborative.

So you enjoy collaborating on conlangs to fulfil social
aims, yet immersing yourself in the Conlang List
inspires you to 'fit in' by creating a _private_ language?
That's truly unexpected!

What I have felt may be possible on this list is a
grand synthetic collaboration between all (or most)
of the list members to create an a priori conlang in
which each of us contributes just one significant
feature - with absolutely no regard for creating a
plausible back-story as to how it might have arisen
conhistorically, and no particular effort to make it
easy to learn or use.

To make the challenge really interesting, we could
also require each team member's single design
decision be one that they have never taken before in
designing a conlang.  (The aim being to ensure that
we really stretch ourselves and move far out of our
respective comfort zones.)  For example, I would
have, if given "the phonetic inventory" to design, to
include click consonants and at least 14 phonemic
vowels.  That would force me to get my head
around the phonetics of the kinds of sounds I've
avoided up to now.

Anyone here watch "Project Runway"?  I'm sure I'm
not the only language designer who is equally
fascinated by almost any other aspect of design,
whether it be software design (my profession),
graphic design (an abiding interest), musical
composition (Herman Miller is an accomplished
microtonal composer, and I dabble), garden design
and landscaping (which can also help keep one fit!)
or, as on PR, clothes and fashion design.  Reason
I ask is because the designers' mentor, Tim Gunn,
is well-known for his saying:
	"Make it work, people; make it work!"
That saying would also apply equally to a team or
collaborative conlang built out of such disparate
elements.

> Which brings me around to another point, which is that I will in fact
> in a sense be participating in the relay. Jim is going to participate
> with gzb, isn't he? As a serious student of gzb I've learned already
> from the relay text that David once wrote in it, and the corrections
> Jim made to his text. So I'm looking forward to seeing what someone
> comes up with this time-- I guess they'll be writing to twice the
> usual audience! ;)
>
> > This reminds me of some of the more poignant (IMO) parts of my
> > interview w/ Tony Harris (podcast.conlang.org). I think that,
> > practically speaking, most conlangers do yearn for someone to want to
> > learn their language or even work on it together.
>
> Thanks for pointing me to that, an excellent interview. I'll probably
> hopefully get a chance to listen to some more of those podcasts in the
> next few days (esp. since XXOX is out of town;).
>
> Halfway through listening, while also browsing the Alurhsa pages, I
> mentally added it to my short list of conlangs I might / wish I could
> learn. Doesn't anyone else here have such a list in mind?? I kind of
> imagine that other people might, but they might feel as shy as I do
> about it. Well, I'll fess up first to what else is on mine: Teonaht
> and Kelen.

Hmmm - I want to get a handle on all of Lars Finsen's
conlangs, and on Charlie "Cerulaean Centaur" 's, and
Donald Boozer's Umod, and David Peterson's Sheli, etc
and Hermann Miller's and Henrik theiling's and Carsten
Becker's and Sylvia Sotomayor's and Sai Emrys' and
Gary Shannon's and Larry Sulky's and ...
... and of course, I've missed some from this list - Yes,
I want it ALL!  Tho' not necessarily anything of Tolkien's
or Klingon (because the conservatives are trying to
mummify them, just as the Académie Française tried
to embalm French), nor any deadly-serious IAL like
Ido or Novial etc (Esperanto was tedious enough for
me).  I guess my emphasis would be on "living artlangs";
not that I'd exclude an engelang out of hand; still, there
must be a sense of play and fun (even if it is intellectually
very hard work!), and the potential for further, organic,
even unexpected, growth.

The real problem for me is picking just ONE to start with;
and that's where the proposed group effort (after the
current relay) comes in; whatever consensus the list
members reach will be fine with me and I WILL LEARN
IT, insha Allah!

Meanwhile, I find myself getting sucked inexorably (and
excruciatingly, obsessively) into whatever new Fiziwig
collaborative venture surfaces ... and have resumed
taking Mandarin classes after a hiatus of 35 years, this
time with an emphasis on increasing my conversational
fluency, rather than mastering traditional calligraphy.

> I heard somewhere that Tony lives in Waterbury, VT though?! I'm in
> Burlington, VT so that's only like 30 miles from here. If Tony could
> visit and teach me in person, that'd be awesome, I'd learn it for
> sure. I'll have to find his email and write him a note, if he doesn't
> catch this.
>
> > But it's exceedingly rare; there typically just isn't much interest in
> > it. Non-conlangers don't get it at all; conlangers want to make their
> > own. There are exceptions, like the people in the reverse relay above.
>
> Well, you know, as I said above, constructing private language has
> been a very secondary part of my interest in conlangery. I
> intuitively invented glossolalic language in childhood notebooks (I
> love notebooks) but as I grew the language I've been most interested
> in creating is social language. I've experimented with various
> collaborations, but what's most held my attention for so long is those
> few conlangs which have taken flight. I find it mysterious and
> magical. I started with the ordinary Esperanto, its magical now
> legendary story of coming to life, but only developed a mediocre
> reading comprehension (someday!! I'll learn someday I promise!;)
> before being more attracted by the strange sight of Lojban. Alive but
> newborn fragile, Lojban was just then starting to take its first baby
> steps of conversation, on its strange stilt legs. It's more certain
> now, more living, more full, and in Lojbanic spirit I will take with a
> proud ".o'a" what credit is due to me for what life and love I have
> given it. I've watched from a distance as Klingon finds similar
> footing. I've watched Laadan which seems younger and smaller just now
> but I've felt is perhaps headed towards establishing itself. I've
> watched in astonishment as tiny Toki Pona has moved in fast-motion
> through a similar genesis. It's not these languages themselves that
> fascinate me, it's their communities and their condition: They are
> clay golems, yet with some magic powder they are heaving into life.
> I've been fascinated by that powder, by the fragile edge between paper
> language and living tongue.

Such poetry! ;-)  But I share your fascination with
the magic, and with the community involvement.

> To me finding the conlanging community has been like discovering rows
> and rows of empty cathedrals. It seems to me an incredibly good
> fortune, to have my choice of so many languages to explore, and each
> with its keeper unoccupied by any other students.

Were you religious, you'd be worshipping day-long,
on your knees; as an architect, you're free to wander
the highest pinnacle, clamber over flying buttress
and corbelled vault, pestering the masons, the carvers,
and the master builders with all sorts of pertinent im-
pertinences, taking the Grand Tour of this latter-day
Renaissance (even Baroque and Gothic) world of
created language, midwived by the twin enabling
technologies: Computing and Communication, aka
Infotech and Internet.  And as an esteemed member
of this noble profession, your persistent questions
are more than tolerated; they are rightly taken as
tokens of a sincere interest in the creative workings
of other people's minds.  Or so I've found! ;-)  So,
ask away!  Nothing is better calculated to encourage
conlanging creativity, or the spreading of its arts, than
a sincere show of interest.

> I have been struck by another possibility. Perhaps, like myself and
> my scant hunger for making private language, the people who would
> learn conlangs are a strange and DIFFERENT breed than conlangers
> themselves. Perhaps what's called for is not to change how conlangers
> relate to each other's work, but rather to somehow reach the other
> people like myself, the other people who (though they might not even
> know it themselves yet) would find pleasure and satisfaction in
> experiencing as patients, as speakers, this artform so architectural
> that you can climb around inside of it. For many years I didn't
> participate actively on this list for just that reason, it occurs to
> me now: Because what I do is different than what y'all do, and I
> hadn't yet figured out how I could relate to this community and this
> artform. It seems obvious in retrospect that I could relate to these
> personal languages by simply choosing some to study and speak, but it
> wasn't obvious to me at all at first that I could just do that;
> somehow it wasn't presented as an option.

But (obviously, now!) it should have been.  Yes,
you're right!  Let me again mention two names of
some relevance here: Larry Sulky and Gary Shannon.
When documenting their languages, both have tried
to present all material in such a way as to make it
easy for others to learn.  To my mind, using and
translating a primary school reading primer (McGuffey,
I think?) was sheer genius.  I've always found, when
learning a new language, it easiest to start with kid's
books and nursery rhymes. The latter have the singular
advantage of fixing the correct pronunciations very well
in the learner's mind; they have the simplicity and un-
forgettability of "earworms".  Just last Tuesday night,
I asked my Mandarin teacher to provide me with some
nursery rhymes; luckily, she was receptive to the idea.
She'd just borrowed a volume of Chinese folksong
from the uni library, and we were able to quickly select
a simple song to start with.

> This idea has just occured to me, so I'm just speculating. But it
> occurs to me that maybe what makes me so seemingly unique is not just
> my interest in learning strange unspoken languages-- I think that many
> people have a great curiosity about language that can satisfy itself
> on many things, for instance people are driven on a regular basis to
> deeply study languages that are fully dead, and ordinary people all
> the time out of pure curiosity study languages which, while spoken
> somewhere by millions, are spoken by no one at all that they
> personally know-- but my willingness to stubbornly persist in learning
> languages based on very little information! I'm more confident in my
> ability to learn gzb from Jim's notes and glossaries, after the years
> I doggedly persisted in learning Lojban from similarly sketchy
> documents, without even the benefit of a living inventor to confer
> with.
>
> It seems evident to me that there's a much larger pool of people who
> could be interested in being taught some particular unknown conlang,
> but who would be (reasonably enough) unwilling to go through the
> preliminary step of first becoming an amateur linguist! There are a
> lot of people-- and I'm thinking particularly of my beloved
> monolingual U.S.A. here-- who would find it interesting to learn the
> strange meanings and structures of someone's conlang precisely because
> they had no idea already that language was even capable of such
> things.
>
> Perhaps it's different for each conlang, to bridge whatever that gap
> is to reach the first potential speaker. Each language that's now
> without a single speaker beyond its inventor only needs one more to
> enter an interesting new phase of its internal development. So it's
> not like you have to appeal to the whole world, just to someone in
> particular out there. But I feel sure that what's missing from many
> of these gorgeous languages isn't the interesting interior worth
> exploring, but the thin climbable thread that will allow someone to
> find their way in there.

I totally agree.  No point starting with an explanation of
"phonotactics" using the IPA when it's all hieroglyphics
to the average potential learner.  Not to say you mightn't
LEAD them there eventually - but why not illustrate any
unusual sounds with simple wave files or short videos,
if the means are available?  Much better to start by
greeting the learner in the target foreign tongue, perhaps
with an L1 gloss underneath, eg:

	G'day!
	(How do you do?)

	Strewth, 's a bloomin' stinker today, innit?
	(I say, it IS rather hot today, don't you think?)

etc.

> > (And note that here I'm distinguishing 'learning a language' from
> > merely looking it over in the manner of an art lover at a museum.)
>
> For what interests me, that level of examination doesn't count at all.
> If you're just finding words in a dictionary to string them together,
> any language is only a cypher. It's only once you've seen a word in
> real context numerous times that you can piece together its special
> character. It's only once a word is spoken back and forth many times
> between different speakers that it becomes a reservoir of shared
> meaning.
>
> Of course, at art museums also my preferred practice is to find a work
> I especially like and devote a long period of time to seriously
> studying it. I find that most deeply satisfying.

The longer I look at anything, the more I itch to
make something new!

> > I'm not sure how (or whether) one could change this, as a trend.
>
> Well, i have a few ideas. What I would really prefer, though it would
> take some cultural change, is for people in the conlanging community
> to become officially students of each other's languages, even if they
> were very very bad students. For instance, while I can hardly string
> three words together in gzb yet, considering myself a student of it
> changes my attitude towards things like gzb being in the relay, or Jim
> responding to a thread and saying how he does something. I've
> established a particular connection & intention and something can grow
> around that. I suspect there's also-- what do you call the opposite
> of the broken window syndrome? One person being a student of a
> conlang, even if they never actually learn very much, might well open
> the door so that other people feel more welcome to join the party. I
> think we need to break the ice a little.
>
> Another perhaps fanciful idea I had was that a group of us could
> pledge that we'd all study a conlang together, and then somehow
> (perhaps a vote or a lottery) decide which one.

YES!  YES!!  YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!

Ahem, that is, count me in!

> ... This might help with
> several barriers, such as of course having anyone to talk to,
> especially anyone at the same level as you in the language, but also
> it would decrease the feeling of... how to put it, hmm, the feeling of
> establishing a relationship so directly, of taking on a personal role
> and responsibility, which I think people might feel shy about.
> There's safety in numbers. Anyway I just think it would be a
> fantastic historical event for our artform, someone's long lonely
> quiet conlang suddenly noisy with a dozen students. Even if we all
> left the language eventually, we'd leave it changed forever. It'd be
> a good telling-story!

I'm already proud of my tiny contributions to some of
the collablangs of the last couple of years.  But I'd be
MUCH prouder if I could give several conlangers'
creations a practical boost, even serially - and a serial
program would be much easier to commit to (and
more likely to succeed) than an all-at-once-everything
effort.  So bring it on!

For example, the ASL teaching photos at lifeprint.com.

> >> I would be especially curious to hear about any languages here that
> >> are spoken by just two people already.
>
> (I've since read somewhere that the tentacle language Rikchik, which
> I've studied briefly, was invented by a pair of brothers. And I just
> now found out they've got a Livejournal group now with 6 members, and
> it looks active! Awesome!!)
>
> > Alex Fink & I are working on one, though I'd hardly consider either of
> > us competent in it (mostly 'cause it's too young).
> >
> > But that's an exceptional case, in that we started doing so in large
> > part because we're partners in the relationship sense too, and that's
> > rare.
>
> The gripping language, right? (Does it have any other name than
> that?) I'd be interested in seeing a post updating us all on how
> that's going. I've long thought that a fascinating modality for a
> conlang, but I knew I'd probably not actually get around to inventing
> it, so I felt relieved when I heard y'all were going to take care of
> that one for us! :) Maybe I could talk XXOX into studying it with me,
> once you've come up with something.
>
> I believe there are a lot more ways we could explore of having
> languages be social from the beginning of their invention. There's a
> special opportunity then, when no one knows more than anyone else
> about the language because there's absolutely nothing yet to know.

Do, please, document all your ideas on HOW to
"[have] languages be social from the beginning"!
And share those ideas with us.  Except when
creating a private language, what conlanger does
NOT want to share their new creation with others?

> One idea I have for a dyadic conlang is for one of the amateur
> linguist conlangers here to team up with a linguistically naive
> person, and basically to make a language for them. I believe there
> are lots of normal people who'd enjoy that-- people like to have
> something special just for them, and most people BION have no idea how
> to make a language for themselves. The nonconlanger partner without
> having any idea how language works could just request how they'd like
> the language to be, and the conlanger partner would figure out how to
> make it work. The nonconlanger could just say "what's the word for
> tree?", and the conlanger could consult their phonotactics and give
> the nonconlanger a word for tree (not a lesson on phonotactics)!

OK, could work.  But how would you go about
setting and maintaining standards?  Surely a
"consulting linguist" or "consulting conlanger"
ought to be at least a _qualified linguist_?   Or
does that only apply where money is charged
for services?  I think not; I'd hate for people to
think us even flakier than they already might
(thinking us weird is OK!) - which is what would
happen if people had unrealistic expectations
created but then left unmet.  What if, after several
months of development, the conlanger's "client"
said: "After all this time, you've done a horrible job;
it all sounds so ugly!"

In the software services industry, we protect both
provider and client against this kind of eventuality
by signing off an agreed specification of the
product, before major development work is done;
the preparation of the spec is done on a cost-plus
basis.  How might this translate to conlanging-for-
hire?

> > FWIW, although he pretends otherwise, Alex has (IMO) actually
> > relatively well learnt several others' conlangs. Mostly because he
> > both has an excellent memory and actually reads the descriptions
> > posted online exhaustively than because of any concerted effort to
> > learn them per se.
>
> I believe it. Why not choose one or a few to become more familiar
> with, though? Does it not seem worth it, Alex, or you just don't want
> to play favorites?
>
> > I haven't either quality, really. And honestly, I'm not sure that I
> > particularly want to; languages to me, at this point, are mostly an
> > aesthetic or design thing. I'm not interested in learning more
> > languages (I know enough as is), just in learning new tricks and
> > appreciating them as things of their own. Maybe that'd change in the
> > future, if I become less involved in other major projects, but that
> > itself seems rather unlikely. :-P
>
> Well, getting back to the idea that the conlang community might be to
> the point of having various roles now, you've certainly found a niche
> yourself. There's lots of different ways to relate to conlanging as a
> community and as an art. It may be that being partial to any
> particular language wouldn't fit how you want to relate to the
> community.
>
> I just selfishly hope that we can make a connection between all of
> these intriguing masterpiece conlangs and some any one who would like
> to speak them, just because that's what most intrigues me, that magic
> moment when an abstract idea of a language becomes an actual medium of
> human communication.
>
> <3,
> mungojelly
> aka
> la stela selckiku
> aka
> bret-ram
> aka
> man who if he gets a name in any more conlangs will have to c&p his
> sig or something ;)
> ------------------------------

Regards,
Yahya
  _____

PS
(*) Tterb si rouy mane ni Shilgni, a jiwnggal
uoy dluoc tairw dna keaps taiwk noose.
("Tterb is your name in Shilgni, a language
you could write and speak quite soon.")
YA
  _____

Yahya Abdal-Aziz

Share my music, paintings, equation art, and thoughts on books, online at
eSnips:
http://www.eSnips.com/user/Yahya

Enjoy learning about Uiama, a conlang (constructed language) at:
http://conlang.pbwiki.com/Uiama
  _____

18:03:00