CONLANG  May 2009, Week 4

CONLANG May 2009, Week 4

Re: how to tell when you're conlang's complete-an idea

Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 May 2009 16:05:30 +0200

This response got really late. First I had a lot
of work to do and then lightning struck and we
were without phone and internet for a couple of
days. Actually the cable phones still don't work;
the devices were toasted, but now the internet and
we have mobiles/cells, so we're connected to the
outside world again. Reassuring in a way that the
forces of Nature still have the upper hand!

Jörg Rhiemeier skrev:
> Hallo!
>
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 16:45:05 +0200, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
[Conlang revival]
> 3. The "purist" vs. "reconstructionist" battle in Tolkienian
>    linguistics, whether vinyacárier (newly created words
>    that are not attested in canonical sources, but based on
>    attested material in linguistically informed ways) are
>    legitimate or not (now provisionally settled by the
>    convention of referring the thus-expanded languages
>    as "Neo-Quenya" and "Neo-Sindarin").

[...]

>>       In practice it may however be
>> wise to refrain from it in either case, unless the
>> author has expressly laid that authority on some
>> person(s) or laid down rules for how it should be
>> done by some democratic process, lest the language
>> splitls into one incompatible daughter language
>> per speaker/user!
>
> Indeed.
>
>>       It seems reasonable to suppose
>> that new compounds or derivations using the
>> morphemes left by the author are OK if and as long
>> the meaning of these coinages are readily
>> understood from the meaning of their parts to
>> anyone who knows the language as left by the
>> author.
>
> This is the position, as far as I understand it, of the
> "reconstructionist" Quendianists, but the "purists" insist
> on such reconstructions being speculative and to be rejected,
> as nobody can know whether Tolkien would have approved of
> these reconstructions.  After all, such "reconstructions" are
> *not* considered legitimate in the study of extinct ancient
> languages such as Hittite or Sumerian.

Yet I doubt that most Hittitologists or
Sumerianists (or their colleagues studying other
extinct languages would object to revival
attempts.  Some (probably the majority) would just
ignore them, and probably some would would be
amused. I guess more philologists than would care
to admit it have at least passingly attempted
composition in their language of study at some
point or other, at least jocously, and certainly
most have at least in their heads composed
sentences or word forms in the frame of "I wonder
if X is attested" or "I'm sure X is/isn't
attested", and some have written down such forms,
properly asterisked!

As for Tolkien the claim that he would have
objected to others using his languages is hard to
believe.  He surely approved of others taking an
interest in his languages, and he is on record as
approving of others using Tengwar, correcting but
not censoring their use [Letters #168]. Why would
he then have objected to use of the languages? The
fact that he was himself a revivalist of Gothic
and Old English must surely count for something,
and it is certain that both in that rôle and
generally he was aware that there can be no use of
a language without "niggling" with it. (See
"Sauron Defeated" p. 225-6.)  He would certainly
have understood that the amount of interest a
language can sustain is dependent on how much
creativity it can inspire, as he'd probably have
agreed the philological investigation of an
extinct natlang contains and depends on a large
amount of creativity -- though creativity under
constraint, to be sure!  I find it hard to believe
that he'd preferred that posterity lose interest
in his languages rather than use them.

The Neo-prefix is essential, since it is quite
possible to wear both the revivalist's hat and the
philologist's hat at alternate times, or
simultaneously, since you need to wear the
philologist's hat under the revivalist's hat if
youre going to get a revival worth its salt, but
one *must* know when it's required to wear only
the philologist's hat and leave the revivalist's
hat on the shelf.  Tolkien was himself very much
aware of this issue (see "The Lost Road" p. 43!)
Too claim that ever having touched the
revivalist's hat would forever incapacitate you as
a 'serious' philologist is of course nonsense,
unless you prove unable to remember when you're
wearing which hat, and if you are so dull as to be
thus thus unable you probably haven't much of
value to contribute on either side!  It is however
advisable to double-check if a form which pops up
in your memory or imagination has authority or not --
but that's incumbent on any philologist!

>> [...]

>> [...]
>>> I can only confirm that, looking at the
>>> history of my Albic project. It started as
>>> Nur-ellen, a descendant of Tolkien's Sindarin;
>>> but it soon developed into a completely
>>> different direction and is now no longer
>>> related to Tolkien's languages (a few ideas,
>>> such as the active/stative alignment with
>>> degree-of-volition marking, have survived, but
>>> it tells a lot that the surviving features
>>> were mostly my own invention even in early
>>> Nur-ellen).
>> Do you have *any* feature left which is a
>> characteristic feature of Sindarin, like
>> lenition?
>
> Old Albic does not have phonemic lenition,
> initial or otherwise, but allophonic lenition
> occurs.  Most, if not all consonants have lenis
> allophones occuring after vowels, nasals and
> liquids, even cutting across word boundaries in
> some contexts.  These allophonic lenitions will
> become phonemic ones, resulting in Celtic-like
> initial mutations and all that, in several of
> the daughter languages.

Which of course is a feature which Sindarin itself
borrowed from Celtic.  In fact Tolkien's languages
are good examples of the fact that good conlangs
can be built using building blocks that are
themselves not original, but the finished building
becomes original because of its particular mix of
building blocks.  To my knowledge Tolkien's only
really original design feature, for which I know
of no ANADEW is the _sundóma_ or Characteristic
Vowel which he used in both Eldarin and Adûnaic
and describes like this in his Adûnaic grammar:

# The majority of the word-bases of Adunaic were
# _triconsonantal_. This structure is somewhat
# reminiscent of Semitic; and in this point Adunaic
# shows affinity with Khazadian [= Khuzdul,
# Tolkien's Dwarvish BPJ] rather than with Nimrian
# [=Eldarin, Tolkien's Elvish]. For though Nimrian
# has many triconsonantal stems (other than the
# products of normal suffixation), such as the stem
# MENEL cited above, these are rarer in Nimrian
# [which has mostly CVC roots BPJ], and are mostly
# the stems of _nouns_.
#
# The vocalic arrangements within the base, however,
# do not much resemble Semitic; neither does Adunaic
# show anything strictly comparable to the
# 'gradations' of languages familiar to us, such as
# the _e/o_ variation in the Indo-European group.
# In an Adunaic Base there is a Characteristic Vowel
# (CV) which shares with the consonants in
# characterizing and identifying the Base.  Thus
# KARAB and KIRIB are distinct Bases and may have
# wholly unrelated meanings.  The CV may, however,
# be modified in certain recognized ways (described
# below under the Vowels) which can produce effects
# not unlike those of gradation.
#
# ...
#
# Adunaic originally possessed only the three
# primary vowels: A, I, U; and the two basic
# diphthongs AI, AU. [Eldarin had five vowels _a, e,
# i, o, u_ and a fullness of diphtongs, including,
# apparently, _ea_ and _oa_ BPJ]. Each Base possessed
# _one_ of these vowels: A, I, U as one of its
# essential components; this I call the CV
# (Characteristic Vowel). The normal place of the CV
# was between the first and second basic consonant:
# thus NAK-, KUL'B.
# The 2-consonant Bases could also add the CV at the
# end; and the 3-consonant Bases could add it before
# the last radical: NAKA, KULUB.  These forms with
# two basic vowels may be called the Full forms of
# the Base.
#
# Various other forms or modifications occurred.
# (i)   Prefixation af the CV: ANAK, UKULB, IGIML.
# (ii)  Suffixation of the CV in 3-consonant Bases:
# KULBU, GIMLI.
# (iii) Suppression of the CV in its normal place,
# in which case it must be present in some other
# place: -NKA, -KLUB, -GMIL. ... [As an independent
# word] It also requires that the CV shall be
# prefixed: ANKA UKLUB, IGMIL;...

This AFAIK is Tolkien's only claim to a NONAD (No
Natlang Already Dunnit).

>> As well as there is an ANADEW principle there is
>> also a good case to make for an *A Conlang Already
>> Dunnit* principle: it would take an agglomeration
>> of features already found in any one same language
>> (nat- or con-), and an *absence of features not
>> found in that same language* to claim plagiarism.
>> Clearly there is a level of fair use, however
>> difficult it may be to objectively measure (and
>> the community will punish any violator with their
>> disinterest!)
>
> Yes.  I avoid doing exactly what someone else has already done,
> but I think it is fair use to pick up an idea from someone else's
> conlang, as long as you don't merely imitate the original but
> build something new.  One daughter language of Old Albic will be
> quite similar to Sindarin (or Welsh), and one quite similar to
> Quenya, but only in their phonology and some general typological
> parameters (the "Quenya" will inherit the Old Albic morphology
> intact, while the "Sindarin" will lose case endings, etc.)
> There will also be an Irish-like language (indeed spoken in
> Ireland), and several others without either Celtic or Tolkienian
> models.  All of them will, of course, be thoroughly *Albic* in
> their grammar and vocabulary, and not draw on the models by which
> they are inspired in terms of morphemic material.

As I said a conlanger is, as with LEGO, bound to
use wholly or mostly building blocks already found
in other languages (conlangs and natlangs).  The
novelty resides in the combination and
arrangement.

>> [...]

[...]

>>       Exoticness is a double-edged
>> sword, however, balancing on the point of
>> credibility.
>
> Very much so.  Piling up exoticism over exoticism in a single
> conlang usually is not a good idea.  Old Albic has a few
> "exotic" features - but only a few!

And what more, exoticness lies in the eye of the
beholder.  As you know my dialect contains some
rather phonemes which are rather exotic not only
in a European context, but their presence in my L1
makes me rather disinclined to use them in a
conlang.  If I did it would be fricative vowels
*distinct* from non-fricative high vowels.  That,
AFAIK is a NONAD (but it probably isn't, if you
look beyond my knowledge! :-)

On 2009-05-15 Herman Miller wrote:
> In the old days I might have rolled dice or used the
> random number function on my calculator to assign an
> initial letter. Random assignment certainly has its
> place. About half the time I come up with a "real" word
> to replace the random word, but often it just needs a
> little tweaking.

That's exactly my experience also.  For me random
assignment is a necessary evil; I wouldn't ever
get vocabulary off the ground without it.  It's a
mystery to me why I'm so crippled (if that word be
allowed to me) in that department particularly.
Perhaps because there are no recyclable building
blocks there.  I have to console myself that a
well-designed phonology and phonotactics will
ensure something of art and character even in
my crudest stopgap vocabulary.

What I tried to say in my reply to Jörg was that
'computer generated vocabulary' is in a way too
wide and too vague a term. In particular one
needs, if one declares that using the computer in
conlanging is cheating, define were the line goes,
since hardly anyone would argue that keeping ones
notes or dictionaries in digital form is cheating.

Clearly the dividing line goes at letting chance,
in the form of a computer program's random number
generator, dice or slips of paper in a hat help
you making, or instead of making your decisions.
If I specify a phonemic inventory and phonotactics
and feed a specification of them to a computer
program which then writes out a list of all words
which can be formed in accordance with that
specification I have not let the computer 'decide'
anything, just used it to save time in making
explicit the consequences of my decisions. I would
pass the line, however, if I tell the computer to
randomly pick items from the list of possible
words and a list of meanings and pair them with
each other.

It is also at least theoretically possible to let
the computer randomly select ones phonemes and
syllable/word structure. In that case one might
really start talking about computer *generated*
vocabulary, rather than automated vocabulary
enumeration or computer assisted meaning
assignment, but even in that case one would, in
order to get results which at least remotely
resemble real words in real languages, have to
build some 'understanding' of classification of
sounds (or the characters representing them) and
their natural distribution in syllables -- at the
very least the distinction between consonants and
vowels and the fact that a syllable consists of a
vowel flanked by zero or more consonants -- into
the program, so some linguistic understanding, if
not taste, and some programming skill and craft,
if not art, and I would argue some linguistic and
conlanging skill and understanding, would have to
go into the writing of the program, and/or the
phonology/syllable/word structure specification
fed to the program in case the programmer and the
user aren't the same person.

Artists have at all times been by choice or
perforce been constrained by the properties of
their tools -- imagine Mozart or Bach having been
born in the paleolithic and having had to make
their compositions for drum and flute! And for
that matter the pipers probably accused the
inventor of the flute of cheating, since he had
automated something that formerly had demanded
more effort --, and artists have always used tools
created by others, be it paintrs' brushes or
composers' instruments. Thats why I think that the
burning question is whether one leaves the
decision making to the computer, and to what
degree, not the fact that one uses computers for
some automatable tasks.

>> [...]
>>> I feel that a conlang, in order to feel alive
>>> and "real", needs an elaborate con-history.
>> I'm 100% with you on that. Histlang(er)s are
>> definitely an important subgroup of artlang(er)s,
>> and we all know who our patron is! :-)
>
> Sure.

Have you read "A Secret Vice" and "The Notion Club Papers"?
The best statement I know of what the art ought to be.

/BP 8^)>
  "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
  à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
  ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
  c'est qu'elles meurent."           (Victor Hugo)