The TEI Guidelines have been updated to version 1.4.0, available
now from Sourceforge and as Debian packages on
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/teideb/. The release
will be on the TEI web site later today.
This release contains the following substantive changes
* The chapter on
Certainty and Responsibility has been revised extensively,
introducing a new element (<precision>) for markup of
numerical precision, and an entirely new mechanism for
defining the scope of uncertainty, based on XSLT match
* A new element <pc> (punctuation character) has been added to the
Interpretation module, permitting the explicit markup of
punctuation. The discussion of punctuation markup in the Core elements
chapter was substantially revised (2372570).
* New elements <constraintSpec> and <constraint>
were introduced to the Tag Documentation module as a means of formally
documenting constraints on an element's content or usage additional to
those of its content model (1933198).
* A new generic <dim> element and associated class were
added to support all kinds of measurements; content model of
<dimensions> was relaxed to allow any mixture of dimensional
specifications, but constrained to forbid repetitions (2594174).
Over this period, a number of pervasive editorial changes were made:
* All examples have been given an explicit language code,
wherever possible, and some missing bibliographic references were added.
* Some further changes were made to extend support for Korean and
* The G8 (AFNOR) group updated a very large number of French translations
to the reference documentation.
Other significant changes made are listed briefly below in date order.
further discussion of the change is available in the SF bug tracker,
the ticket number is indicated in parentheses.
* 2009-06-17: Allow <place> and <listPlace> as
children of <settingDesc>, for consistency with
* 2009-06-09: Add <origPlace> to att.naming for consistency (2510548)
* 2009-06-05: Corrected error which caused <code>rwa</code> (the code for
"recommended when applicable") to be
mistakenly rendered as "required when applicable" in formatting of the
* 2009-06-04: Replace the requirement that at least
<location> appear within a <msIdentifier> by a more
forgiving set of schematron constraints (2672530)
* 2009-06-04: Add a missing example to the Verse chapter (2800854)
* 2009-06-02: Create a free standing feature structure exemplar
* 2009-06-01: Change data.numeric to permit fractions as a legal value
* 2009-05-29: Add new @scope attribute to <rendition> to
support use of CSS pseudo-elements (2525586)
* 2009-05-23: Add clarificatory text and revised discussion at
various points, per SF comments (2763441, 2740718, 2788297, 2777567
2712046, 2517629, 2744482)
* 2009-05-12: Change content model for <am> to permit
pPart.edit elements (2209933)
* 2009-05-12: Define new class for quotation-like elements
appearing in <msDescription> (1962972)
* 2009-05-04: Review and make some minor changes required by
Council in the "TEI Tite" ODD exemplar.
* 2009-04-05: Permit elements from the model.hiLike class within
Finally, as requested (2728369), the HTML
version of the Guidelines has been enhanced so that each element is
linked to a list of all the usage examples given for it throughout the
Information Manager, Oxford University Computing Services
13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN. Phone +44 1865 283431
Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente